First Day at the Gym

Options
nixism
nixism Posts: 258 Member
Finally my local gym has a freedom membership (no set term), they have gone 24 hrs / 7days a week, so no excuses for me, they are also running a $10 promo for joining fee - so I can afford t join.
I can't join for a long period of 6-12 months, as I am soon to move house/region, so don't want to throw that money away if I live too far away to get to the gym.

I'm excited about my first work out.

Any good exercises you people love to do at the gym? I'm 30yrs, 5'2 tall and female, problem area - TUMMY!

Cheers,
Nixism

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I see that your problem area is your tummy... Just so you know you can NOT target fat loss just there, and doing sit ups and crunches don't help either.

You need to lift weights providing resistance to your whole body. Squat, deadlifts, press, rows, dips, pull ups, etc. also find a type of cardio you enjoy.
  • nixism
    Options
    Totally! I am looking forward to the whole body workouts etc, and I do enjoy walking my dogs and horse riding, but it's not enough cardio as I store the fat! Can't wait to see how things go when I up the exercise - thanks for your comment :)
  • ladyhaelstorm
    Options
    I agree that a full body workout is best. At the gym I usually warm up with a 1 mile jog, or 10-20 min on the elliptical, then do strength with weights (upper or lower body) and every day I end workouts with ab work (sit ups, plank, bicycle crunch etc.) Planks are good because they work muscles all over the body, from abs to back to arms.

You can exercise when horseback riding too by dropping your stirrups and posting without them (works western or english, but easier to do english haha). Riding bareback too is a great overall body challenge because it takes so much more balance. Have fun and hope you can join your gym long term soon!
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i love the eliptical type machine at my gym, i think its called the ark trainer. no impact and you can burn tons of calories on it
  • MomMel65
    MomMel65 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i love the eliptical type machine at my gym, i think its called the ark trainer. no impact and you can burn tons of calories on it

I'm with you - the Arc trainer is an amazing piece of equipment! I was doing the generic ellipitcal machine and everything from my hips to my toes were killing me! I met with a trainer at Planet Fitness and he said the ellipticals are really hard on your body - that he prefers the Arc machines. I had tried it when I first joined the gym and totally didn't know what I was doing, plus I'm sure I looked like a total idiot - so I never tried it again. So the trainer showed me how to "do" it - and now I just can't stay off it! I even sit at home and think "I want to go do the Arc machine!" How crazy is that, hey?! Wish I could afford one on my own - I'd never get off the thing!! And yes, you just rip through the calories like crazy!
  • nixism
    Options
    Yeah I am looking forward to mixing my exercise up a bit, especially cardio options, I really used to love the Xtrainer and the Rower machine.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    How did it go?