Too Little? But I'm not hungry!

Options
Hey people of the Internet, I need some help. Almost everyday I enter in my meals and exorsize into my food diary and everyday it tells me that I'm eating too few of calories. I understand this means I just need to eat more except I'm not hungry! So then everyone tells me I should just drink a Gatorade or some milk and I'll be fine. Though I prefer to drink water. Please help :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Eat more caloriedensefoods. Nuts, nut butters, avocado, etc.
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    How far below are you? I wouldn't worry about 30-50 calories, but if you're a couple hundred your daily goal before exercise is added in, then maybe eat some nuts or something for the boost in calories and healthy fats. Skip the Gatorade, it's icky. ;)
  • mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If your under 1200 calories I would be concerned but if you just not eating back exercise you will be fine. Listen to your body. MFP tells everyone they eat to little if they don't eat back all calories you log burned.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    You will probably get better advice on this one if you open your diary so people can see exactly what you are eating.
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You are right to drink water...you need calories to keep your body from thinking you're starving...which causes your body to hold on to every little calorie you consume..totally opposite to what you're working on.

Feed your body every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism burning calories throughout the day without the drops in blood sugar which make you feel bad and cause you to crave things.

Try eating foods that are rich in protein and other nutrients. Have breakfast, a mid morning snack, lunch , a mid afternoon snack, dinner and a bed time snack. These should be high in protein low in sugar and carbs.

Hope this helps..if you want more help, and are comfortable opening your diary to me, I'd love to take a look and see if I can help you add foods to your day.

PS...I am always under my calorie count because I don't eat back my exercise calories...after all, isn't that why we exercise?? BUT, make sure that you are close to your calorie goal BEFORE you add in your exercise.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Just take a spoon to that peanut butter jar :-)
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking a lot of water with your meals, you might limit yourself to maybe 8 oz. w/your meal and then drink more of your water between meals.

I notice than when I finish my day at 1190 calories, for example, I also get that friendly reminder that I have not consumed enough, but if I can post over 1200 I never see that reminder. If you're feeling well and losing at a moderate rate, then take the reminder for what it is--a suggestion--and do what you think is best. Best wishes on your weight loss journey! :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    if you aren't hungry, don't force yourself to eat.

peanut butter is amazing though.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how far the deficit is..as others have said 30-50 calories okay..aim for at least 1200 calories..You don't want to put your body into starvation mode..myth or not, I have done it unfortunately and it stinks..almonds, peanut butter, almond butter, whole wheat mini bagels, edamame, soy nuts, greek yogurt are thing that I will eat suring the day to keep calories at the minimum of 1200 and to keep protein up :)

good luck!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    As others have said, aaim for at least 1200 calories. a deficit under 100 calories occasionally is ok, but not all the time. It's important to eat the calories MFP has set for you. Also if you're overweight you probably don't recognize when you're hungry so that you need to follow what MFP suggests to get enough nutrients in.
  • sawadoll
    sawadoll Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    On days where I am significantly under, I'll have some almonds or a banana. Yum.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    eat more. hunger isnt a good indicator of what your body needs. there was a time when i was hungry enough to eat 7000+ calories a day but my body didnt need that which is why i became 80 pounds overweight :laugh: .

eat your food. set a timer if you need to remind yourself to eat
  • RanmaGirl5
    RanmaGirl5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Okay my food diary is open so your not blind