Problems with Polar FT4 - Help!

Options
Hi everyone, I have a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor and I have absolutely loved it so far. But the past few weeks it's been giving me some trouble. When I first put it on and have it search for my heart rate, it can't find it! It searches and searches and comes up with 00 multiple times. I usually just start my workout on the watch and it'll find my heart rate after about 5 minutes or so. It always works totally fine after it finds my heart rate; it just takes it forever to find it.

I use Spectra 360 electrode gel on the strap. I rinse the strap after each workout, and I've washed it in the washing machine in a mesh bag like it says to. I'm assuming it's a problem with the transmitter, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Replies

• polido54
    polido54 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem. I think it is just an issue we have to deal with because once it find the heart rate it usually is ok.
  • jacqui1612
    jacqui1612 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft7, and it does something similar. I try to put it on 5 minutes in advance to working out to make sure it picks up my heart rate. Or I just start my warm up and wait for it to pick up my heart rate. It has happened a couple of times where it won't pick my my heart rate at all, so those times I just have to estimate..
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I would not wash it with the gel. It could be clogging the strap. Rinse with warm water and make sure you pat it dry with a towel.

I had the same issues with mine but I messed it up so much that I had to buy a new one

Have you tried changing the batteries?

Make sure you wet it really well! Only wash it once a week and make sure you are not putting fabric softner in the water.....

Just some of the things I found out when I was trying to fix mine.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have Polar FT4. The only time that has happened is when I didn't fasten or snap the transmitter on the belt tight enough.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have that monitor and occassionally get that problem still too. It used to be EVERY single use, but one day I took it with me in the shower and used body washed and and scrubbed the *kitten* out of the chest strap, haha. Before that, I too rinsed it after every use, washed with soap every couple of uses and machine washed it every so often. But ever since I scrubbed the crap out of it in the shower, it has greatly improved. I do also agree with a previous poster to get the strap and watch going a few minutes before workout while you're getting ready to catch your heart rate. But if all else fails, my friend has one too and her problem was solved simply by changing out the watch battery.
  • rippedcutupabs
    Options
    I never put that thing in the washer. I wash it by hand about once a week in the sink with liquid laundry detergent. I rub the soap over those two rough parts using my thumbs. I can feel when its been washed good enough and also can feel with my fingers when it needs to be washed.
  • jenlatourette
    Options
    Run it water to increase the contact, dont use gel. Also, try changing the battery in the strap. They go dead after a while
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I never put that thing in the washer. I wash it by hand about once a week in the sink with liquid laundry detergent. I rub the soap over those two rough parts using my thumbs. I can feel when its been washed good enough and also can feel with my fingers when it needs to be washed.

This! I use liquid dishwashing soap! :)
  • ramasavage
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Ditto all the advice above... AND make sure the strap is tight enough. I've found that if it's even just slightly too loose or the transmitter's not in just the right spot, it acts wonky. Even if you think it's tight enough, tighten it a bit more.
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Wet the grey area and also your skin it will be touching. Moisture helps it read the heart rate better.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have Polar FT4. The only time that has happened is when I didn't fasten or snap the transmitter on the belt tight enough.

I did the same thing...:wink:
  • Lutadora
    Lutadora Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was having a problem with my Polar FT4. It was giving me strange readings like 275 beats per minute when I'd first turn it on! Obviously, this was not accurate, I don't think I'd be alive if that were the case! lol...Anyway, I took mine back to Sports Chalet (where I purchased it) and they gave me a brand new one.

If washing your strap doesn't help, trying taking it back to the store where you purchased it.
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I'm having issues with my sensor connecting, too.
  • niekkosgirl
    niekkosgirl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm having this problem as well. I have changed the battery. It keeps saying to check the heart rate transmitter. I was having to make sure to put it in just the right place so it would pick up. Now, it's not picking anything up at all, no matter what I do.
  • yesitsme
    yesitsme Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Amazon has the newer Polar Soft Strap. Suppose to be much better. Think I'll get one as a backup.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    What's the difference between the old strap and new strap? I just bought a Polar a couple of weeks ago... also I haven't had the problem regularly.. it happened once and it's because the strap was overlapping along the bottom of my bra (therefore not across my chest properly). I only use water as well..
  • bwquinn13
    bwquinn13 Posts: 4
    Options
    I am having the same problem. It seems to work just fin when I run, but anytime i do something with more full body motions, like Insanity or DDP Yoga, it loses connection. Frustrating.

What key words do I need to type in to find this new soft strap? To make sure I am getting the right one.
  • 2dayirunforme
    2dayirunforme Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Polar t31 is the new strap, only problem is when the battery dies you pay a " small fee" send your strap to polar for the battery replacement.
  • RacheUk82
    RacheUk82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys! Had my FT4 for 6 months and it has just started reading 00, highly annoying!