NSV- No smoking/Treadmill

Options
Today is day 12 without smoking :) I got on the treadmill tonight and started a 5.2 mph jog.....my usual distance is about half a mile before I'm all out of breath and slowing down. But tonight.....I WENT TWO WHOLE MILES NONSTOP :O I've never been a runner, (more like the girl who would walk the track in gym class and take an F because she couldn't run the mile in under X minutes) so that's a big deal to me LOL

Replies

• dorseykm
    dorseykm Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your treadmill distance and keep up the good work on not smoking!
  • GFox484
    GFox484 Posts: 17
    Options
    Congrats... I'm on day 6 now without smoking (Started August 1st). Feels great just hope I can keep it up!
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Brilliant job:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I quit smoking 9 months ago after 37 years of heavy smoking. Next Sunday I'll run a 5K , have already done a 10K and the treadmill and the road are my best friends now.
    Stick to it and you will ask yourself why you haven't quit earlier :bigsmile:
    Be proud of yourself!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!
    When something like that happens, it takes you back that you can actually "see/feel" progress.

Yay for you!!1
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Own it, girl! You are amazing!!
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    So happy for you!!! Keep up the great work!! Woohoo!!
  • LindaLou252
    Options
    Awesome NSVs!!!! Congrats!! :)
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Good for you. You will continue to feel better over the next several weeks to months as your lungs clear up. Remember how good you feel right now so if you are tempted to smoke you realize you will lose this feeling. I started smoking when I was 12 and while I quit a few times over the years I pretty much have smoked my whole life. Almost 2 years ago I quit, relapsed for a few weeks and have been absolutely smoke free for 11 months. You've made it past the hard part so keep going.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    day 280 here and lovin it... it only gets better and better. you'll be doing 5k, 10k in no time.. you'll end up looking at all those other people weezing just walking up the stairs.
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome! 12 day is amazing! So proud of you! I want that one day soon- I'm trying to quit and have had one in the last 72 hours~

seeing someone post this shows me it can be done! Thank you and congratulations on such a wonderful NSV:bigsmile:
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It's amazing the difference that quitting makes on your lungs!! I noticed a similar jump in progress when I quit. If anything, your new running success is motivation to never pick up another cancer stick :)
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Congrats to OP for your success!! You really can run and do more when you quit smoking! I have quit before but picked it up again. Congrats again to everyone else who has quit and are doing well! :)
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Great job for quitting. I have made a couple of failed attempts to quit within the last month or two and.. well, I need to try again. It's a tough thing to do but you're doing it! Yay :)
  • GlitterSlinky
    Options
    Yay! Great job on deciding to not let smoking be a cruch anymore! You rock :flowerforyou:
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB! I know so many people that have tried but just cant quit smoking. You are doing something many people don't have the willpower to do and it's a huge accomplishment. Keep it up and be proud.
  • missfelicia6
    missfelicia6 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!! I quit smoking 6 weeks ago. I LOVE being able to breathe!!!
    Good for you!! Keep it up!
  • definitelyval
    definitelyval Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME! Congrats, and keep up the amazing work! :drinker:
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    congrats on your 12 day smoke free and your running victory! I quit 12/24/2006 after smoking a little over 20 years. I know this is corny, but it really is one day at a time. As you overcome each craving, they will get weaker and weaker. the things i like the most is that i don't stink anymore. neither does my house, car, clothes, hair, etc
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Quitting smoking is HARD. I quit 2/27/11, cold turkey. It's rough, and some days it's still rough, but it's amazing how much better you will feel. Keep it up, it is possible to quit and stay quit :)

Again, congrats. This is a way awesome NSV.
  • chezileigh
    chezileigh Posts: 255
    Options
    I find running is an excellent way to keep yourself from returning to smoking, because every time you run, you *KNOW* you couldn't do it if you were still smoking, so when temptation comes up, it motivates you to stay strong, because if you take a cigarette you won't run as well tomorrow.

Well done on giving up, keep it up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!