Eat after or before training?

cuckston
cuckston Posts: 3
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,

I am training once a day for about 45 mins at my local gym during my lunch hour.

Do you reccommend i eat my lunch before or after the gym? I can personnally see quite a few pros and cons for both but was wondering if there was a 'reccommended' way of doing it.

Many thanks! :happy:

Replies

• incorporeally
    incorporeally Posts: 27 Member
    Definately after. I don't know how hard/what kind of exercise you do, but exercising on a full stomach can make you nauseated if you are doing cardio. Also, after you exercise, your metabolism is up so your body is more prepared to burn those calories rather than store them. That's what my kines teacher tells me anyway.
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    If I eat before exercising I need a few hours in between. I jog at 8:30 every night, and I eat my dinner at 5:30 to avoid feeling sick
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    i suggest like others to eat after exercising - i personally get nauseas if i eat before hand - though if you are very hungry maybe a small snack shortly before you get to the gym would help
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    I eat a peanut butter sandwich about a half before before I get off work on the days I run because I found myself getting very weak and shakey and faint by the end of the run if I don't. I've read you should have some protein an hour before you run. It takes me about an hour by the time I get off work and get to the gym because I take the bus so it's actually about an hour and a half between eating and running.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    If you wait to eat lunch after the workout, how long will it have been since you last ate?

I workout after work. I eat a snack about 1 hr before my workout (usually fruit for the simple carbs) and then I eat dinner shortly after I get home from the workout.

I agree that you do not want to work out on a full stomach, but you also want to make sure you fuel your body before the workout. Otherwise you may not be able to work out at full intensity, or even worse begin to feel faint.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    To echo what the others have said, I eat after a work out to avoid feeling nauseous during.

Maybe try eating before your workout for one week and then after for another to see what suits you best. :smile:

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Try it both ways and see what works for you. Some people get nauseous exercising on an empty stomach, others are the opposite. Do whatever makes you feel good throughout your workout.
This discussion has been closed.