Bad Calories Vs. Starvation Mode: Which is Better?

Options

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    a) Go into starvation mode but save your body from harmful calories, or
    b) Eat stuff that will prevent you from going into starvation mode but is definitely bad for your well being?

There's always:

c) don't sweat the one offs

In the context of an otherwise healthy, nutritious diet with a sufficient amount of calories needed for the individual's particular circumstances one day of underfeeding or one meal or so which breaks your diet isn't a big deal.

If it were me I would have had a skinny burger, fries and some chocolate milk.

But that's only because I think they are delicious.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    b) Eat stuff that will prevent you from going into starvation mode but is definitely bad for your well being?

There's always:

In the context of an otherwise healthy, nutritious diet with a sufficient amount of calories needed for the individual's particular circumstances one day of underfeeding or one meal or so which breaks your diet isn't a big deal.

:flowerforyou:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

There's always:

This ^^^ You are fretting over nothing. Just plan better tomorrow. You good!
  • mmapags
    Options
    I had not planned my day today too well and ended up eating about 500 calories total by 9pm. When it gets to that point, you have to go to sleep by 10, and the nearest food joints available are small-portioned happy hour bar menus, it seems that you have limited options:

- Eat nothing at all
    - Eat a small portioned salad or another healthy yet limited calorie meal, which would get you 400 calories max, which would come to a total of 900 for my day, i.e. still in starvation mode territory.
    - Eat a good portioned burger (white bread buns) with fries, which would definitely get you to your goal of 1200 calories plus.

I chose the latter, but I know I will pay for it internally and externally.
    My question is, which is better to do in a dire situation:

This again..

Ok. Let me make this simple.

There is no such thing as starvation mode.
    There are no foods that will make you starve. That would not be food.
    Metabolism doesn't change or have dramatic shifts.
    The idea of eating more to lose more is ignorant.

There are foods that make you fat. That is a different discussion about Insulin, several other hormones and more.

My biggest piece of advice is to educate yourself. Stat asking How and Why. Put those questions into Google. Go from there. This forum is full of misinformation and bad advice. Get educated and help yourself.

Good questions to ask.
    "What is the biological process for fat storage?"
    "What is insulin and what does it do?"

That's a good start.

Ah the insulin is the devil rationale again. You are really a one trick pony clobbercow. This is your pat answer to anything. Too bad it ignores the data. Maybe you ought to be the one educating yourself??

OP, don't mind poor clobbercow here. He has reading comprehension issues. :flowerforyou:
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Well, my body doesn't go into starvation mode from missing a meal or two. It goes into a rest mode, and I feel great the next day. Whereas if I were to eat fast food just before bed, I would sleep badly and feel terrible the next day. So in this situation I would definitely go to bed without eating and have a very good sleep. If I had a very busy, active day ahead of me, then before going to bed, I would take some frying steak out of my freezer, and put it in my fridge to defrost for a nice big protein filled breakfast.

This. If I'm under one day, I really don't worry about it too much. I do not go to a fast food place just to try to "up" my calories for the day though. I would have had a snack at home and went to bed, but thats just me. I can't handle fast food, and the next day would have been pretty miserable for me. The thought of "starvation mode" wouldn't have even crossed my mind. One day is not going to cause terrible things to happen, with starvation mode or fast food. Its one day. Get up the next morning and make a fresh start. And plan better so you don't end up at 9pm with 500 calories eaten.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    starvation mode is an overused idea on this site.
    if you are overweight and have large amount of body weight, you will not starve. besides that, one day of low calories is hardly starvation mode.

just to get an idea of what true starvation mode is, some people really need to do read the news or look up places where they are truly starving people.

I agree. And one time won't make you go into any kind of "starvation" mode. It takes quite a few days of "low calorie" before your body starts thinking there's a famine. You can even fast for a good 40 hours (no food at all) before your "stress response" system kicks in. (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29011.html)
    And as long as you don't eat fast food on a daily basis, It's not going to hurt you. Not much as far as nutrition, but you're talking about calories and weight. (My personal opinion: health is far more important. You can get healthier than you were but you can't get optimal health eating fast food. My goal is optimal health - fix the body on the inside and everything will fall into place on the outside)
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Eat stuff that will prevent you from going into starvation mode but is definitely bad for your well being?

Well being? Fast food aren't opiates. Why do people exaggerate the effect fast food has on the body. :grumble:

Fast food industry brought it up on itself by screwing up the portion sizes.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I had not planned my day today too well and ended up eating about 500 calories total by 9pm. When it gets to that point, you have to go to sleep by 10, and the nearest food joints available are small-portioned happy hour bar menus, it seems that you have limited options:

- Eat nothing at all
    - Eat a small portioned salad or another healthy yet limited calorie meal, which would get you 400 calories max, which would come to a total of 900 for my day, i.e. still in starvation mode territory.
    - Eat a good portioned burger (white bread buns) with fries, which would definitely get you to your goal of 1200 calories plus.

This again..

There are foods that make you fat. That is a different discussion about Insulin, several other hormones and more.

My biggest piece of advice is to educate yourself. Stat asking How and Why. Put those questions into Google. Go from there. This forum is full of misinformation and bad advice. Get educated and help yourself.

Good questions to ask.

That's a good start.

Ah the insulin is the devil rationale again. You are really a one trick pony clobbercow. This is your pat answer to anything. Too bad it ignores the data. Maybe you ought to be the one educating yourself??

OP, don't mind poor clobbercow here. He has reading comprehension issues. :flowerforyou:

Since I have such reading comprehension issues, can you please explain the biological process for fat storage that doesn't involve insulin?

Ohh, That's right. Insulin is THE fat storage hormone. It's also a hormone that suppresses Leptin, that aids in appetite reduction. Insulin also blunts our reaction to Ghrelin, the hormone that keeps us feeling satiated.

Wait a minute. My reading comprehension skills really must be lacking. I'm surly incorrect. Or maybe you simply don't understand it's importance. Maybe you simply don't understand how powerful hormones are in the body and how they drive behavior.

If you control insulin, by carb control, you also control appetite. The allows for people to become fasted (the single requirement for burning fat) easier to lose the weight.

If you can explain the biological process that says it's good to eat foods that promotes fat gain, aggravates appetite, and keeps us hungry, triggers insulin, and keeps us from being fasted to lose the fat, then by all means, fire one at me.

Sure, we can do all the wrong things and struggle with weight loss or eventually hit a plateau. I see it all the time on here. Or we can take some key principals about our biology and use knowledge to our advantage to make the transition from being fat a bit easier. I constantly see people getting stuck and I constantly see people giving out terrible advice and shoot down others because they don't agree. You wan't to be dogmatic instead of being factual, please. Please show me your data and research that says you're right and I'm wrong.

If you can't, you should take the advice I posted above, and your clearly superior reading comprehension skills, and get educated.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options

- Eat nothing at all

This again..

Good questions to ask.

That's a good start.

Just seconding not paying attention to clobbercow, he lost absolutely all credibility when I read glucose further broken down into triglycerides in another forum post... I agree with if it's one day it's not going to make much of a difference, but I would also say, if you know that you're more likely to under eat than over eat, it might be helpful for you to try it to eat a good portion of your calories in the morning or stock up on nuts or other nutrient/calorie dense food which can be packed and eaten on the go.
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You will not go into starvation mode after one day. That's simply not possible, and it's tossed around too frequently on these forums. Stop, get something to eat and eat/plan better the next day. No harm, no foul.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

- Eat nothing at all

This again..

Good questions to ask.

That's a good start.

Since I have such reading comprehension issues, can you please explain the biological process for fat storage that doesn't involve insulin?

Ohh, That's right. Insulin is THE fat storage hormone. It's also a hormone that suppresses Leptin, that aids in appetite reduction. Insulin also blunts our reaction to Ghrelin, the hormone that keeps us feeling satiated.

Wait a minute. My reading comprehension skills really must be lacking. I'm surly incorrect. Or maybe you simply don't understand it's importance. Maybe you simply don't understand how powerful hormones are in the body and how they drive behavior.

If you control insulin, by carb control, you also control appetite. The allows for people to become fasted (the single requirement for burning fat) easier to lose the weight.

If you can explain the biological process that says it's good to eat foods that promotes fat gain, aggravates appetite, and keeps us hungry, triggers insulin, and keeps us from being fasted to lose the fat, then by all means, fire one at me.

Sure, we can do all the wrong things and struggle with weight loss or eventually hit a plateau. I see it all the time on here. Or we can take some key principals about our biology and use knowledge to our advantage to make the transition from being fat a bit easier. I constantly see people getting stuck and I constantly see people giving out terrible advice and shoot down others because they don't agree. You wan't to be dogmatic instead of being factual, please. Please show me your data and research that says you're right and I'm wrong.

If you can't, you should take the advice I posted above, and your clearly superior reading comprehension skills, and get educated.

You do not gain fat in a calorie deficit.
    Your idea that individual foods are lipogenic is false.
    You are ignoring the fact that insulin lowers in between feedings during which fat is oxidized.

You need to read this:
    http://weightology.net/?p=265
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

- Eat nothing at all

This again..

Good questions to ask.

That's a good start.

Pot_Meet_Kettle-550x338.jpg
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options

haha nice!
  • mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    starvation mode is an overused idea on this site.
    if you are overweight and have large amount of body weight, you will not starve. besides that, one day of low calories is hardly starvation mode.

just to get an idea of what true starvation mode is, some people really need to do read the news or look up places where they are truly starving people.

I agree! If you aren't hungry then you can eat when you wake up.
  • clobercow
    Options

- Eat nothing at all

This again..

Good questions to ask.

That's a good start.

Just seconding not paying attention to clobbercow, he lost absolutely all credibility when I read glucose further broken down into triglycerides in another forum post... I agree with if it's one day it's not going to make much of a difference, but I would also say, if you know that you're more likely to under eat than over eat, it might be helpful for you to try it to eat a good portion of your calories in the morning or stock up on nuts or other nutrient/calorie dense food which can be packed and eaten on the go.

I did say that.

glucose -> pyruvate -> acetyl~CoA ->(by Acetyl CoA carboxylase) -> malonyl~CoA -> fatty acids

http://www.genome.jp/kegg/pathway/map/map00620.html

Enjoy.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

- Eat nothing at all

1 day of very low calories is not going to put you in starvation mode and won't hurt you. 1 day with burger and fries is also not going to hurt you. Do whatever you want to do.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    OP:

Generally speaking, over the course of time you should be doing your best to -

1) Hit your desired calorie and macronutrient totals
    2) Eat a varied diet with nutrient dense foods when you can
    3) It would probably be in your best interest to not eat a ton of heavily refined foods but at the same time there's no need to become orthorexic about any particular macronutrient or food item

Now having said all of that and as it pertains to your questions, you're not going to be perfect.

Stuff like what you wrote, that happens. The decision you make isn't going to matter much at all provided we are talking about "once in a while" and not "every other night".

Lastly, starvation mode is, for the most part, a bunch of nonsense as it gets used on this site.
    "Bad Calories" is a term thrown around by Gary Taubes and I'd suggest staying away from anything with his name on it unless you want your head to get filled full of nonsense.

In the context of a nutrient dense diet, cheeseburgers, pizza, chips, and even *gasp* cake is FINE. Just don't make it the majority of your intake and if those "treats" are preventing you from hitting your nutrient goals then you've got a problem. Until then, if you can eat some of that stuff once in a while then you probably should.

^^ WELL SAID AS ALWAYS!
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

HAH! I need to save that picture... it is needed alot on these boards!
  • clobercow
    Options

haha nice!

Ohh boy, here we go... Lets make fun of the guy who uses science and common sense.
  • mmapags
    Options

- Eat nothing at all

This again..

Good questions to ask.

That's a good start.

You do not gain fat in a calorie deficit.
    Your idea that individual foods are lipogenic is false.
    You are ignoring the fact that insulin lowers in between feedings during which fat is oxidized.

You need to read this:
    http://weightology.net/?p=265
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

That pretty much sums it up. Insulin is not the fat storage hormone. It is the nutrient shuttle hormone. It only shuttles nutrients to fat storage more than temporarily if there is an overall calorie surplus.

So, like I said clobbercow. Major reading comprehension issues. Fail!