Fitness Levels

2»

Replies

• pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    I used to hate running outside because I was self-conscious. The thing is, other runners won't judge you for running. And people who don't run are just sitting on their butts, while you are exercising. You can run in all kinds of weather - where I live, there can be extremes - really hot and humid summers, and cold, rainy/snowly winters. I ran outside year round whle training for races. I found it much easier to build distance outside than inside.

The more experienced runners have some great advice - here is what I did:

At the beginning, I couldn't run more than a couple minutes. I basically ran as slowly as I needed to in order to run 20 minutes, with a one minute break or so after 5 minutes. Then I took it outside. ONe day a week was my "long" run, two days of "short" runs. So, no more than 30 minutes (for me, around3 miles, maybe less) two days a week. On the long run days, I ran slower, and just worked on building distance. So, 3.5 miles one week, 4 the next, so on. Running slowly was key, I just naturally picked up speed.

Generally, for improving fitness - I can't recommend using a HRM highly enough. It has really made a big difference, I have been using it for a couple of months and I am kicking myself for not using it earlier!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Run Zombies! RUN!

Get the app!
  • RoybieOfTheRovers
    RoybieOfTheRovers Posts: 39 Member
    A beginner's friendly running club might motivate you. There are literally dozens in Blackpool, or you could look up a local ParkRun. as for not having the best outdoors areas... hello, sea front! Lovely and flat plus a great view.

I second this. parkrun is an absolutely fantastic organisation. I cannot praise it highly enough. (www.parkrun.org.uk)