Work out in morning or evening

Options
Hello! I've always worked out after work either running or doing 30 Day Shred but I was wondering if it would be better to wake up an hour earlier every monring and do it then? Does it make any difference to do it in the morning as opposed to evening? I suppose I'm thinking it would fire my metabolism up for the day...it would also give me the opportunity to do other things with my evening. Thanks :)

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Makes no difference to your metabolism. It might make you feel better; I always get an energy boost from my morning walk.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There has been some research that suggests cardio in the morning is ever so slightly more effective in terms of fat loss but the reality is the best time is whatever fits your schedule (and you're more likely to stick with)

I like to run at 5AM - most normal people are still lying comfortably in their beds. It's all a matter of personal preference.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Agreed.... its personal preference, how chaotic one's schedule might be in order to fit in exercise, etc...

Im up at 4am and out the door by 4:45am to hit the gym for over an hour...each day... I find early mornings for me make me more focused for the day at work....
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Defo for me cardio works best in the morning for fat loss on an empty stomach also seen to give me good energy throughout the day. Weight training i have to have 2-3 meals in me before i feel i have the energy to train so thats usually afternoon or evening.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I do what my schedule allows... and for now thats working out in the morning.

When school/work starts again in a few weeks, it will most likely be after work or before school.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    morniiiiiing! i LOVE to get to the gym when it opens. it's so satisfying to have already worked out, eaten a nice breakfast, and showered before the rest of the world is awake!
  • kkbeatrice
    Options
    I do cardio in the morning to MAKE SURE I GET IT DONE, and then whatever else I want to do in the afternoon after I get off work... also cardio in the morning makes me happy for the day and feel like I've started great so I won't do anything to mess it up :smile:
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses :) I suppose what i need to work out is persoanlly what will give me more energy in the day, an hour more in bed or excerise.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I'd rather work in the mornings (which i do), but i also have my Tae Kwon Do classes at night, which is fine with me also.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I am an after work workout girl...work at 7:30 am...so there is no way i am heading to gym for 5 to get in a 1.5 hour workout lol.....even on the weekends I tend to go around 4 ....just prefer it, rare occasions I'll go in the am with the BF
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Not sure of a difference except you have so much more energy through out the day. I know I do. But on a sad note my hours changed at work so now im back to doing PM workouts instead of Am workouts....BOOOOOOO
  • MissPorcupine
    Options
    I do cardio in the morning to MAKE SURE I GET IT DONE, and then whatever else I want to do in the afternoon after I get off work... also cardio in the morning makes me happy for the day and feel like I've started great so I won't do anything to mess it up :smile:

THIS THIS THIS. Same here, if I don't do my workout in the morning, I probably won't do it at all and then I'll mess my day.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I rather work out in the morning but can't. I have to be at work at 6:30a.m. and have a son it tow. So, even if I worked out in the a.m. no place has child care that early (YMCA)

So, after work it is. I just make it a point of going whether or not I want to. Normally after 5 mins of working out, I"m happy I went and am working hard. :-)

Before we had him, we worked out in the morning at Gold's Gym. I loved loved loved it!!! There's nothing like getting it done at 5 a.m. to start your day right.
  • bossladyday
    bossladyday Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Whenever I can get it in... I just need to workout ;)