Nasty Protein powder... HELP!

Options
Meg_78
Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
I'm guilty of buying a nasty tasting protein powder, Anyone got any good recipes for bars or what-not that I can use it in that will help disguise it a bit, its vanilla flavor, but its just got this nasty milky odor, and this comes from the girl that drinks half a liter of milk a day, I LOVE milk, but this stuff smells like baby formula actually.

Any tips??

Replies

• dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    What make was the protein??
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of recipes I'm trying out right now. Having gotten to one that I totally love. They are "drinkable" but not something I wake up and look forward to drink...KWIM?

I am using Jillians Whey Protein powder.

ETA: here the web addy.

http://dashingdish.com/recipes/shakes/
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Pro Nutrition Whey Protein. I'm in Sweden, so it may not be a familiar brand, Its probably not that bad, but my regular one (WNT Triple protein-Swedish brand) is sooo good that this one sucks in comparison.
  • mscolleen2003
    mscolleen2003 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I used the whey liquid protein from GNC fruit punch. I mix it with ice, lime and what ever tastes good to me. You can sip on it all day and it's pretty decent.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    I was thinking I could find a bar/ball recipe, kill it with cocoa and PB maybe LOL?? (calories are not a problem, it doesn't need to be low cal!)
  • fizzy123
    fizzy123 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I had a similiar problem, different brand, but baby formula type taste:sick: I found just mixing it with 250 mls water and drinking it in one go helped.Less to get through.
    Then I discovered that it makes the most beautiful vanilla flavoured porridge when added to the oats before cooking, you can add blueberries and strawberrys afterwards its a real treat.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Do you have a blender? You can add milk, fruit or peanutbutter, blend it all up and you shouldn't taste it.

I also know people make protein sludge or ice cream.. but you'd have to google the recipes for that.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I was thinking I could find a bar/ball recipe, kill it with cocoa and PB maybe LOL?? (calories are not a problem, it doesn't need to be low cal!)

Just made these up yesterday, TO DIE FOR! They're in the MFP food database as Sarah's Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Fudge.

1/2 cup unsalted butter
    1/2 cup sugar-free natural peanut butter
    1 oz. baker's chocolate
    2 ounces regular cream cheese, softened
    1 cup granular sugar substitute or equivalent liquid
    2 scoops whey protein powder (nutritional info for Syntrax Nectar Sweets - 0 carb)
    1/2 tsp pure vanilla

Melt the butter, peanut butter, and chocolate together in the microwave and mix well.
    Stir in the cream cheese until well blended and smooth.
    Stir in the sweetener, then the whey protein powder and vanilla, and blend well.
    Line a small baking dish with wax paper or nonstick foil.
    Spread the fudge mixture in the pan and chill or freeze until set.
    Cut into 24 squares. Store in the refrigerator or freeze.

Makes 24 pieces
    Can be frozen

entire recipe:
    cal 2190
    carb 58
    fiber 12
    sugar 6
    protein 81
    chol 292

1/24:
    cal 91
    carb 2.4
    fiber .5
    sugar .25
    protein 4
    chol 12
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Solar Yes thank you that's exactly what I'm looking for!!

Fizzy that sounds interesting, I will have to try it, as is I cook my oats in fat free milk, so this could deff be worth a shot!!

Dad106, I'm a bit of a snob with my shakes, and i have a great tasting protein for those, so now I have a whole jar of this bad stuff to get rid of!
  • fizzy123
    fizzy123 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I dont use any milk , just water,oats and protein powder.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Awesome Sarah THANKS!!
    Just made these up yesterday, TO DIE FOR! They're in the MFP food database as Sarah's Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Fudge.

1/2 cup unsalted butter
    1/2 cup sugar-free natural peanut butter
    1 oz. baker's chocolate
    2 ounces regular cream cheese, softened
    1 cup granular sugar substitute or equivalent liquid
    2 scoops whey protein powder (nutritional info for Syntrax Nectar Sweets - 0 carb)
    1/2 tsp pure vanilla

Melt the butter, peanut butter, and chocolate together in the microwave and mix well.
    Stir in the cream cheese until well blended and smooth.
    Stir in the sweetener, then the whey protein powder and vanilla, and blend well.
    Line a small baking dish with wax paper or nonstick foil.
    Spread the fudge mixture in the pan and chill or freeze until set.
    Cut into 24 squares. Store in the refrigerator or freeze.

Makes 24 pieces
    Can be frozen

entire recipe:
    cal 2190
    carb 58
    fiber 12
    sugar 6
    protein 81
    chol 292

1/24:
    cal 91
    carb 2.4
    fiber .5
    sugar .25
    protein 4
    chol 12
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Here's one from my favorite low carb recipe site, Linda Sue's. Since she got it from someone else, I don't think she'd mind if I post it:

JENNY'S BETTER THAN BOXED LOW CARB PANCAKES
    2 1/2 tablespoons vanilla whey protein powder *
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder (see update below)
    Pinch salt
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon oil
    2 teaspoons water, optional (see update below) **
    Oil or cooking spray, for the pan

Whisk all of the ingredients, except for the water and cooking spray, in a small bowl until smooth. Add up to 1 tablespoon of water if you'd like a thinner batter. Meanwhile, lightly grease a small nonstick skillet with oil or cooking spray and heat on medium. Pour in the batter and tilt the pan to spread the batter evenly over the bottom of the skillet. When bubbles appear all over the pancake and the batter on top looks like it's starting to set up carefully work a spatula around the edges and then under the pancake to flip it over. Cook until the second side is lightly browned. Don't let it get too dark or it will taste a little bitter. Serve with butter and low carb syrup, if desired (not included in the counts).

Makes 1 large pancake

* The carb counts for this recipe are based on whey protein powder that has 3 carbs per scoop (1/3 cup).
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Thanks again Sarah!
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    try shaking it up with almond or coconut milk instead of water.
    and since calories aren't an issue, chocolate milk or something else may also hide the taste.
    good luck! some of the powders are nastaaay.
    one time I bought whey with powdered leafy vegetables in the mix. HOLY HELL that was bad!
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that with protein powders that chocolate is always best tasting. The other flavors can be a bit on the gross side.
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    I plan on trying this recipe today or tomorrow.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Protein Bars
    http://dashingdish.com/recipe/pbj-protein-bars/

1/2 cup Protein powder ( vanilla)
    1/4 cup Peanut flour (or PB 2)
    1/2 tsp. Baking powder
    1/4 tsp. salt
    2 T Applesauce, unsweetened
    1/4 cup Skim milk (or milk substitute of choice)
    1/4 cup Egg whites (or egg white substitute)
    4-5 Packets stevia (or sweetener of choice to taste)

1/4 cup Low sugar/ No sugar added strawberry jelly or jam

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.

Place all of the ingredients in a bowl, (except for the strawberry jelly), and whisk until everything is well combined. Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Drop jelly over the top of the batter, and swirl into batter.

Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until protein bars are set. Cut into 8 bars and enjoy!
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later use - I ended up throwing away a container of horrid vanilla for this very reason. Nice to know there are ways to salvage it!
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with unsweetened Coconut/Almond milk blend. If calories/carbs aren't an issue, try vanilla or chocolate flavored Coconut &/or Almond milk.

Plus sometimes I add PB2 chocolate to the vanilla flavors. Extra protein and a yummie mild chocolate peanut butter flavor.

Or add Ducan Hines frosting creation flavor packets (small packets of powdered flavor additives - not frosting itself) and make up Orangecreamcile, Cherry Vanilla or Almond Mocha. (But I'm not sure if you can find these out of the States, sorry)
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    There are ALL KINDS of recipies out there. I made the following one yesterday and - OH. MY. GOD. This will be my new GO-TO snack when I have a sweet tooth...

Ever had Cake Batter ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery? OH YEAH...

Cake Batter Protein Shake

Ingredients
    1/2 cup Low fat cottage cheese 1
    1 Scoop vanilla protein powder 2
    3-5 Drops butter or almond extract
    1 tbs Vanilla sugar free instant pudding mix (OR 1/2 tsp vanilla extractanilla sugar free instant pudding mix, OR 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
    3-5 Sweet n Low packets (or sweetener of choice to taste)
    1/2 cup-1cup Water (Alter this according to desired consistency)
    5-10 Ice Cubes (Depending on how thick you like it, use less for a thinner consistency)
    Optional: 1/2 tsp xanthan gum 3
    Sprinkles for topping!

Throw it all in the blender and viola!

Nutritional Breakdown =
    1 Shake
    187 Calories
    2 g Fat
    5 g Carbohydrate
    3 g Sugar
    35 g Protein