Anyone starting the C25K?

Options
2»

Replies

• dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my first day tonight after work. Friend request sent.
    I've never run before so this will be a big challenge. I signed up for my first 5K in late September.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I am on W4D1 - And I love it. It was VERY hard for me at first. In addition to being over-weight, and out of shape - I am also a smoker. But I love it because every week when I see what I am going to be doing, how far or long I am going to be running, I get intimidated and nervous, and think about quitting. Then I push through it, and realize that I can do it. Whoever designed this program did it perfectly. Each week is enough to push you to the next level, without trying to kill you. I suprise myself with every workout, and it's been a great confidence booster! :)
  • lucor001
    lucor001 Posts: 17
    Options
    I just completed this about 3 weeks ago and ran my first 5k race 2 weeks ago. It's a great plan! I was surprised how similar in concept it was on the 0to1650 (0 to 1 mile) for swimming. I guess I shouldn't have been, I imagine building up endurance is probably much the same regardless of the sport :). If I remember right, I think week 6 was the worst for me (when you all of sudden skip out on "short" runs) but I made it through. I'm now on to the B210K (Bridge to 10K) and so far so good!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4-and I love it! I'm going to send you a friend request, I update my blog each day as I do it. It's not as detailed as I always want it to be but if you have any questions just ask!
  • kmccormick42
    kmccormick42 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I start week 2 today. I have never been a runner and I'm still not sure I can do this. I completed week one but I sure was out of breath after jogging just one minute at a time. Maybe this will help me loose my last 20 lbs.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    The nice thing about C25K is that you can adjust it for your level of fitness. Your intervals can be walk vs brisk walk if that is what you can do. Then it could be brisk walk vs slow jog. Next round it can be brisk walk vs jog and finally brisk walk vs run.

You can repeat the program as many times as you need to as you build up to being able to do the walk run intervals.

You may find that as you progress you are able to push harder with the difficulty levels. It is smart to use a heart rate target to help you as you improve. For the fast segment of your intervals try to keep yourself within the moderate intensity zone for your age - that would be 70-80% of you heart rate max. If this is too much to start then go for the lower end.

If you go out too fast at first you may not want to continue. Just remember to relax as you go - tensing up makes it much harder - shoulders back, head up, fists and neck loose!

There are several good calculators on line to help with you heart rate range/max.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/l/bl_THR.htm
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that info hobbit, I have ordered a heart rate monitor but have no idea how one works so will need to learn about that once it arrives :)

Thank you everyone who has replied, offered advice and support and for all the friend requests. I didn't expect to receive such great support and gain so many new friends. I am so chuffed and know that all your support is going to help me crack this, I feel very positive about doing this now :)
  • shawngm98
    shawngm98 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Today I'll be starting week #2. This is usually when I get bored & quit but i'm doing the 5k Turkey Trot so I'm sticking with it (crossing fingers!)
  • wendrobn
    wendrobn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I will be doing week 5 day 2 tonight. I feel like I've been bitten by the running bug. It's hard when you're doing it, but it's amazing how well the program works. The first time I did it I felt like I was going to die after 60 seconds of running. Now I'm up to running 6 minutes at a time, and it's hard, but I don't feel like I'm going to die.

I signed up for the Disneyland 5k Fun Run in January and am so excited! I'm also going to try to find another 5k to run in September/October.

I'm thinking next year at this time I might be training for my first 1/2 marathon! But I shouldn't get ahead of myself, I really need to complete a few 5ks first!

Feel free to add me if anyone wants another run nut buddy!
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am on w3 d2 tomorrow. It has been fun. Hopefully it will become a habit.
  • andreashawty100
    Options
    has anyone lost weight with the c25k
    ?

I'm on week 3 day 2
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    has anyone lost weight with the c25k
    ?

I'm on week 3 day 2

I have been doing this since I started mfp this time and I have lost 18 lbs. I'm kind of stalled since I started doing more long runs, BUT I am losing tons of inches. I've gone down 2 pant sizes and have over 8 total inches off my thighs and about 3 off my stomach. I also had knee and back problems and had to wear a brace the first three weeks, but now I have no brace and my back rarely hurts.

I have a pair of jeans I bought as my fall jeans last July when I was losing weight. I was 173 lbs and they were tight...lots of muffin top. I gained back all my weight and started losing again in June. I am currently 177 lbs and wore said jeans today. They fit perfectly with no muffin top. The difference? I run now. So it has done pretty good things for me.
  • capital_clover
    Options
    I'll join! I just did Week 1, Day 1. I have always wanted to be a runner but can never seem to commit. I'm trying C25K after my hubby, who was a total couch potato, successfully completed the program and now runs 5Ks regularly. My dream is to run my first 5 K at the end of October with him.

My first run went well but I got skin splints on the last 60 seconds. I think the greatest challenge for me is actually slowing down and finding the right rhythm. I tend to have a lot of forward momentum. I was always a good sprinter but could never last the long haul. I have to learn to "jog" with my feet under me. Anyone else have this problem?
  • trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just finished w4d3 today. I'm really enjoying it! I actually look forward to my next "run", I never thought that would happen!! Keep up the good work peeps!!
  • kayrevan
    kayrevan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am looking to start too. Can anyone recommend a good program on android phones?
  • caro1275
    caro1275 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm in week 4 day 1 and there are plenty of days that I have repeated! I do a walk/ jog. Feel free to add me! I think it is a great program :)
    Caro
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    C25k is a great program! I've done it before and it worked great. Finish Strong!
  • Tinkerbell1010
    Tinkerbell1010 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    @KAYREVAN try rundouble on your android and its the C25K. I downloaded the free version which is good for 2 weeks and then for 1.59 I will probably purchase the full version that will take you thru all the weeks of the program :) I'm on week 1 day 2 for me tomm