Cheat Days...Yay or Nay?

Options

Replies

• BucsGirl4Life
    BucsGirl4Life Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I seem to be in the minority here, but I use Saturday as a cheat day each week. What I find surprising is the fact that I really don't go too far over, if at all, on my daily calories. I'm very strict when my calories during the week, but on Saturday will allow myself to eat out at a favorite restaurant or have dessert. Might not work for everyone, but has worked great for me.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I do it ONCE a week on Saturdays. and ONLY one meal... you have be try your hardest to be strict with yourself, or you will relapse. IF you feel like you can't handle that meal yet, just don't do it!
  • tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Any by "cheat" I don't mean binge. My cheat days consist of eating when i am hungry and not necessarily tracking every single thing, and/or going over the 1200 a bit. I am not sitting here with 12 bags of chips and a few containers of ice cream.
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    I never PLAN for a cheat day, and if I do have one I try not to go TOO over my limit. I've had some bad experiences with sodium-heavy cheat days making me 4-5 lbs heavier on my next weigh-in.
  • amateurdude
    amateurdude Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If I don't get once a month to just say eat something I want without having to worry about the repercussions.. Life would be a little bit more boring.

Go for it tbh. Don't do it reguarly and don't binge, and you're good to go. I've never heard someone tell me moderation is bad.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I really try to eat in moderation most days. I really don't pick a "cheat day" because to me it reinforces the idea that there are "bad foods" and I think that's a really rubbish mindset to get into- creating a sense of shame if you don't eat "good foods. I like junk food cuz it's tasty, and apologetically eat a little most days and try to plan out when I'm going to splurge a bit more than normal. To me it seems to encourage a restrictive mindset, kills flexblity in daily life, and works counter to life-style change.

But what it really comes down to is you individually. If it's what helps you make it through the other 6 days a week totally perfect, then go for it.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    No cheat meals, no cheat days. For me it's too easy to go back to old ways, which is what got me here in the first place. If it doesn't work into my food plan, it doesn't go into my mouth.

Someone asked this the other day, more thoughts are here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/694841-cheating-on-diet
  • thebrianmo
    thebrianmo Posts: 108
    Options
    I say a big fat NAY to cheat days. While it was not technically a cheat day, last week my wife and I were both craving Chinese food so we decided we'd eat out at a local place. Horrible idea. Despite being very careful with not only what we ate but with portion sizes, this decision elevated my blood sugar beyond acceptable limits and ultimately had too many calories for the day. As another member said, these types of events can fuel our eating disorders and it's take me 4 days to get beyond that so for me, no thanks, I will follow my eating plan as is with no cheats at all.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I don't plan them, but I'm not going to feel guilty when there is an "event" of some kind (birthday, graduation, wedding, holiday party/cook-out etc) if I "sample" items not normally on my menu. If I know I'm going out I usually try to have a good (light) breakfast/lunch and then have whatever. I also don't call it a "cheat" day, it's just another day and I try to log what I can....but I don't go crazy trying to measure a couple bites of this or that. And there are usually enough "events" going on in everyone's family/friends lives that you really don't need to plan a day weekly etc.... I knew one friend that was strict as anything all week long and on weekends she ate whatever she wanted (probably more for those trying to maintain than those who are trying to lose) but it worked out well for her. If you aren't losing when you think you should be and you are one of those people that plan a cheat day, you might want to reconsider! LOL
  • colson72687
    Options
    Trying to eat healthy/work out/live a healthier lifestyle is a change in your entire life....it's not something that you just do for a couple months, reach a goal, and then go back to your old habits. With that though, I've found that it's most successful for my if I don't completely deprive myself of the "cheat" items that I like, such as a little ice cream once in a while or some french fries or whatever your weakness is. Getting healthy isn't about deleting items from your diet, because then once you do have them again, you will want to have them all the time and ruin your diet. If you want to have a piece of chocolate some random afternoon, do it....just only have one little piece (like those little single Dove Chocolates or a single mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cup...yes both of which I love!). It's not going to kill you and it's not going to ruin your diet to have that. In face, I've found that days were I don't just eat super healthy and have no fat or carbs whatsoever in my diet, my MFP total after I "complete my day" is usually a higher weight loss than when I did have a little bit of ice cream or some potato chips. Now like I said, it's all about moderation and when I eat some ice cream, I go get frozen yogurt or like the "healthier" types you can buy in the stores....or I buy the low-calorie or low-sodium potato chips....and you just can't have an entire gallon of ice cream or giant bag of potato chips or super size fries at McDonald's. But I think you'll find if you allow yourself those little splurges every once in a while, you won't crave them so often and, although it may take a little extra time to meet that final goal, you will get there and be able to maintain it a lot easier because you did it the healthy and right way!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I think that it depends on where you are and your overall attitude about food and nutrition.

For some a cheat day is opening the door to rationalizing more poor choices and should be avoided. For others it gives them that boost that they need so as not to get burned out. It also allows some flexibility when they are in a position when its simply easier to go with the flow on things (travel, eating out with friends etc).

I have 2 cheat meals a week. I make sure to eat mostly whole foods, avoid sodas, candy, sweets, chips. But that's me instilling a habit, I'm fully aware that if I drink one soda that I won't drop dead or put on 20 pounds. I know that your diet has a cumulative effect on your long term health so the cheat is negligible (for me) in the grand scheme of things.
  • MarianneDarroch
    MarianneDarroch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would say nay but that's more because I am an all or nothing girl so a cheat meal for me turns into a cheat day into a cheat weekend and so on!!

Saying that if its a special occasion I will make an exception but make sure I hit the gym that day and burn off some of the calories in advance so can have a treat within my daily goals.

This probably wouldn't work for everyone so I say if your disciplined enough and it's a meal every week or so go for it, but a whole day on a free for all wouldn't be a good idea.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Yep Cheat day, Splurge Day, Re-Feed day..... Whatever you want to call it, I work it in every week... I bust my *kitten* all week and it is my day to indulge and enjoy some foods I don't otherwise have worked into my week... Mine Ranges widely though.. One week could be Pizza and Wings and a DQ Blizzard for dessert but another could be a 16 oz. Ribeye Steak, Fries, side salad and get a dessert of some sort or switch it completely up and have a Splurge Breakfast at Bob Evans with Pancakes and whatnot.. May not work for some people but I can tell you after losing 3 bills plus, it works for me... Best of Luck...
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,796 Member
    Options
    I do cheat days, sorta, I dont schedual them or anything, but like 2 days ago, my dad wanted to take me to dinner, so I was like I realy want chicken strips, and Ive done realy well for 1 1/2 weeks, so im going to have chicken strips and fries, but that was the only bad thing I ate, didnt have pop and did good the rest of the day, so I guess you could say I have cheat mealsonly if ive done realy well for a week or 2, but even my cheat meals I try not to make too unhealthy because then its a step back.
  • lis3tt3
    lis3tt3 Posts: 2
    Options
    I say yes. If you stick to the same caloric intake for too long your body will plateau. Why not have a cheat day? If you're living a healthy lifestyle then this is a life-long investment and having a cupcake once a week isn't going to destroy years of effort.
  • michellematteson
    Options
    I say nay. I have a treat everyday of strawberries with frozen yogurt. It fits into my calories and macros for the day, but helps me to avoid the temptation of sweets throughout the day. That being said, I think having a cheat day every week can bad if not monitored very well. I see people who don't log on the weekends and that can probably ruin a whole entire week if not careful as well. I do think a day where you can eat whatever you want can be good for mental health. I had one of those days last week. I was having a bad day and said to myself "You know what, I have been doing this for 200 days. Let me just go nuts." I logged everything, and just got back on the wagon the next day. And I still lost a pound this morning.
  • ShellyShuey
    Options
    I follow Jackie Warner's philosophy -- eat clean MON-FRI and then a cheat meal on the weekend not to exceed 1500 calories (it never does). She says you can actually do two cheat meals, so if there's a special occasion on a Sunday I would do that as well.

I'd say a PRE PLANNED cheat meal a week is fine.
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily say "cheat day," so much as a "cheat meal." I don't deprive myself if it's something that I really WANT, but at the same time, if I cheated ALL DAY, it could add up to a LOT of calories/fat/sugar. For example, if I know that I'm going to eat at my parents, my bf's parents, or OUT to eat - I will eat light and healthy for all of my meals and splurge a little at that one meal.

We all have to do what is best for us as an individual. Find what works for you. Good luck!
  • ThePenguin36
    ThePenguin36 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in cheat 'days', but I do allow myself a small cheat snack or meal. I don't believe that it is realistic for myself to just completely take out some of the foods I enjoy. So instead of me pigging out all day and wasting my entire weeks efforts on a bunch of empty calories, I allow myself to eat things that are within my goal once in awhile. It keeps me sticking to my diet without the pressure to be perfect every single day of every single week.
  • malikabajwa
    Options
    Have one meal a week where you can "cheat", just keep it in moderation and dont get too crazy! Thats what I do so I dont go insane missing out on what I still love!