Can I Get Honest Opinions On P90X...

Options
xYumzx
xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
My brother lastnight made a comment "stop being a b***h and do P90X, lol" now ive been thinking about doing it since he has the program and I wouldnt have to spend any money on it... But im really iffy on it, i've heard it's just as much mental and emotional as it is physical. I would just love to get some honest opinions about it. I also have a few questions :

What kind of shape were you in when you started? because im not miss sports fitness addict (Yet) lol
Was it anything like Power90? Because I had that and didnt click with it to say the least
Does anyone have before and after's they can share...

Thanks
Colleen

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    It's a good cardio workout DVD if you have 1-1.5 hours a day 6 days per week to devote to it.
  • ldobson710
    Options
    I could only stick with it for a month. I saw a fair amount of improvement within that month, but I just didn't have the time to devote to it every day with raising a toddler and commuting to/from work. I still have the videos and pop one in on occasion if I can't get out to run or if I feel like changing my routine up.

I was in *terrible* shape when I started it and the second week was really rough, but I got through it.
  • teamfit2day
    teamfit2day Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The program works, but as mentioned, you have to dedicate atleast an hour to it 6 days a week. Seems like a lot, but consider that most people spend upto 2 hours at the gym and dont get half as much done. Not everyone, but most. Also, like any workout program/schedule, it truly does come down to your nutrition. You can lose weight by simply running 30 minutes a day as long as you eat right. I mention this only because I dont want anyone to think that P90X is the ONLY solution or its a magic solution. Any form of physical activity will hange your body but the nutrition is whats going to make the key difference. Hope that helps you.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you didn't like P90 I don't see why you'd enjoy P90X. P90X is good, but find something else.
  • Chikipiwi
    Chikipiwi Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you have the time to put into it.. it's a great program.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    You can get as good or better results by lifting weights 3 times per week for 45-60 minutes and eating properly. Cardio optional.
  • CaraColleen
    CaraColleen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I loved it. This is the only program that I saw big improvements with. I only did it for 5 weeks since life and injuries got in the way, but I enjoyed Tony and it never got boring. I started with the Lean program to ease my way into it. I liked that a lot better than the Classic version. I would recommend it if you have the time because it will work!
  • melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i wasnt in shape when i started it (i had done some jillian micheals videos), i done it for 6 weeks and was very board, and was hard to find 1+hr at night to do it. If he has it, it wouldnt hurt to try it. gfoo luck to ya!
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    if you didn't like power 90, i'm guessing you won't like p90x. that said, i loved it the first time i did it.

i decided yesterday, to do it again, starting today. i'm going to do doubles, with my additional cardio coming from turbo fire, not P90X cardio. i don't have 2 hrs a day right now to give to fitness............
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    I personally like the program.

I do not agree it is "cardio only" - it also includes a number of decent resistance/weight lifting DVDs. Though they are faster paced, in a circuit style - you can certainly gain a decent amount of lean muscle and strength with the program, and get the benefit of a lifting routine. My husband has packed on a good amount of muscle with it. But I will add we do use dumbells, not resistance bands, and we lift heavy, low reps.

I have done P90x Classic, and Doubles, a number of times, as well as P90x2. My husband has also done the program.

I personally find, it is one of the few programs, I like, and can tolerate the trainer, and get excellent results every time. I personally am not a fan of the Lean version myself, but each to his own. :)

I use heavy weights lower reps, to maximize my lean muscle mass. I have gained a good amount of strength, muscle, and leaned out dramatically. You can also use resistance bands, I just personally feel dumbells give me more of what I want from the program, and I have the room for them.

I started the program about 50 pounds over weight. Now I am at my goal size, and can rock a bikini, which is not to shabby. for a 48 year old woman. LOL I am "smaller" sizewise then I was at age 16 in highschool , which was my "goal weight" - though I actually weigh more now, because of the difference in muscle mass, but I look tighter. leaner, and wear smaller clothing.

I will add, it IS a challenging program, and certainly NOT for everyone. I have done a number of other programs, including lifting only - and for me, this program clicks, and gives me the best over all results, both in fat loss, and lean muscle.

So for me it s a win.

But that's not to say its going to suit everyone. Its hard, its a challenge mentally and physically. And it does take up time. And you really do need to stick with it for 90 days, and push yourself every time, increasing weights, reps etc. to see really results. Many people donot see most of their results until the end of the program. So those who quite soon, may never really see the impact of the program.

But for me, 30 min programs, just never gave me the results I want. So yeah its an hour a day - but that only one hour, I would normally be wasting on my computer or watching TV or whatever anyway - and for me the results make it worth it.

I would love to say you can get the exact same results with 30 min a day - but for me, that is not the case. So I need that longer workout. Now that may not be true for someone else, and if you can get the same results in 30 min a day - 3- 5 times a week. I think that's great. But I am older women, I am also short, my metabolism is not as it was when I was 20, and I needed more.

So find what does work for you - whatever that is, that you also enjoy - and move. :)

If you did not like Power 90 though, you may not like P90x. It is the same trainer, though it is less repetitious, as you have more DVDs to work with for variety. But if you donot like Tony, or his training style, you will not like P90x ether.

Power 90 would not suit me, as I get bored way to fast. :)
  • CatSummer
    CatSummer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I did P90 and got bored very quickly, so I started P90x. LOVED IT!! I was not fit when I started, and when i finished I was in AMAZING SHAPE!!! I lost about 30 lbs in the 90 days. I have never had results like this before!!!

I did "lean", but I ran 4 times a week too (which is like doing "doubles", I guess)

I highly recommend p90x!!
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Like any other program...you get out of it what you put into it.
  • YungBuck
    YungBuck Posts: 50
    Options
    Give it a try, I didn't like P90 either, but I liked this.

I'm on day 71 and I was 245 pounds when I started. I added some walking, sometimes I do two videos a day, I've only had like 2-4 rest days, and eat a little leaner then the program asks, but I now weigh 200 pounds. It has worked insane for me. I don't have before pictures because I'm retarded, but I'm leaner and I feel better. It's hard and the last week or two I've been having trouble keeping my focus, but I kinda love it.

That's my two cents.

Do it!
  • hennahenna
    Options
    did you count calories/ eat clean while doing all this?
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally done it but know a few people who have, and they all lost weight. (Duh, who WOULDN'T lose weight if they actually stuck with it!) Since your brother already has the DVDs, why not try them for a week or two and see what you think? If you totally hate it, you'll be in better shape and not out any money!
  • airforcewife1007
    airforcewife1007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you didn't like P90 I don't see why you'd enjoy P90X. P90X is good, but find something else.

Not true, I hated P90 because there wasn't enough variety. Loved P90X because of the variety in the workouts each day. As previous posters have said though, it takes time, and a commitment for 90 days, which was hard for me to do between work, school, motherhood, and being a wife. I'm going to try it again in the fall however.

ETA: When I did P90X, I modified it. I replaced the yoga with cardio x, so I did cardio x twice a week. Two reasons for it: 1-Yoga is really hard for me at this size lol, and 2-I really just don't care for yoga.
  • courtneyemilyy
    Options
    p90x does require you to dedicate alot of time, so I personally would recommend the insanity workout instead! The workouts are half the length and you still get killer results!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Not true, I hated P90 because there wasn't enough variety. Loved P90X because of the variety in the workouts each day. As previous posters have said though, it takes time, and a commitment for 90 days, which was hard for me to do between work, school, motherhood, and being a wife. I'm going to try it again in the fall however.

ETA: When I did P90X, I modified it. I replaced the yoga with cardio x, so I did cardio x twice a week. Two reasons for it: 1-Yoga is really hard for me at this size lol, and 2-I really just don't care for yoga.

Based on the responses in this thread, I stand corrected. I've only seen X and X2 and they were more or less the same program. Figured the original would be too. I was wrong
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I would try something else if you didn't like power 90! a friend of mine is doing ChaLEAN Extreme and loves it!
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    My physical therapist LOVES P90 and P90X . . . She says they're fantastic for her business.