Options
2»

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Clif shot blox
    Clif or Gu gels
    Rice crispy treats (seriously... awesome for quick energy)

wow - i've never thought of rice crispy treats but they totally would be awesome - i am a wee bit obsessed with them.

In regards to what I eat, normally nothing. If it is hot, i'll take some gatorade on in addition to water. For marathon training, i will test out some gummy types of stuff but this will only be during 16-20 milers.

It is all about what you train your body to do. I just ran my best HM ever taking in nothing but water during the entire race - add on 1.6 mile warm up and a mile cool down. HOWEVER, I fuel properly the night before and that morning.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've settled on carrying a bottle of high5 endurance drink, on any run over 10 miles. This seems to do for me for both my liquid and fuel needs - works ok.

I find my stomach upsets too easily for most of the food type things. And I do struggle with just water. This seems to be a good compromise that gets me round my longer runs quite comfortably.

I have a friend who has similar issues and she uses something called Perpetuem. She would get sick taking on anything during a race, even water. She now uses this stuff exclusively.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/perpetuem.pp.html
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For people who have a hard time going more than an hour without something...

Make sure you are properly hydrated before you go out. In typical conditions (whatever typical is for you), most people should be able to go 60-90 minutes without much trouble. If you're having trouble, it may have more to do what what you're eating/drinking BEFORE you run, than what you have during your run.

All this can get a little skewed though when you change conditions. If you're used to running on flat ground when its 75 outside, your body may respond very differently on hills or warmer temps, etc.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've settled on carrying a bottle of high5 endurance drink, on any run over 10 miles. This seems to do for me for both my liquid and fuel needs - works ok.

I find my stomach upsets too easily for most of the food type things. And I do struggle with just water. This seems to be a good compromise that gets me round my longer runs quite comfortably.

I have a friend who has similar issues and she uses something called Perpetuem. She would get sick taking on anything during a race, even water. She now uses this stuff exclusively.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/perpetuem.pp.html

My big race this summer had Hammer's Heed on course, which I really liked. During intense effort (i.e. race conditions), I have a hard time stomaching much of anything, but Heed seems to be pretty easy to absorb.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I use Clif Shot Bloks. Mostly because I got a pack of them free in the goodie bag of one of the very first runs I ever did and I threw them in my cabinet until I got my distance up long enough to justify needing them. They worked with no stomach upset, so that's just what I've stuck with.

I only take them on runs over eight miles or so, but the last two-three long runs before a half I don't take anything for similar reasons mentioned above, I want to get a few runs without so that when I take them during, it has more impact.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I just stop at a convenience store and choose on the spot. It's nicer than carrying a bunch of food and extra water with you.