Walden Farms Zero Calorie Products

Options
willboyles
willboyles Posts: 44 Member
I am sure this has been posted before but couldn't find it. Has anyone tried any of these products? Taste equivalency for "normal" products? I have seen tons of their stuff but never tried. Just wondering who thinks they are/aren't worthwhile.....

Replies

• Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've tried the salad dressings. Some werent horrible but definitely not worth it to me. Plus they put a lot of things in it that I can not even pronounce to make it zero calorie. I'd rather splurge for an all natural salad dressing that has some flavor!
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My mom LOVES the products- well the salad dressing. I am not too sure about them. I feel like they are just full of chemicals.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I think you ever love them or hate them. Some people say they taste like a chemical *kitten* storm others say they love them. I think you have to try them out for yourself.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I did once, tried two and they were vile, tasted of artficial crap. Not good!
  • kaybelmore
    kaybelmore Posts: 124
    Options
    All of them have the same artificial flavor to one degree or another. Some are totally worth it though, Here's my breakdown of products tried.

*Caramel dip: Semi artificial after taste, good flavor, good with fruit, cocoa powder, mixed into yogurt/cereal, can be eaten on its own but you'll notice the aftertaste more this way. Highly recommend

*Marshmallow dip: Artificial after taste, good flavor, good with fruit, cocoa powder, mixed into yogurt/cereal, can be eaten on its own but you'll REALLY notice the aftertaste more this way. It does have a nice creamy flavor, my recommendation is to mix this product with other things to cut down the aftertaste.

*Apple/raspberry/strawberry dip: (Group them together because they are basically the same) Semi artificial after taste all with Jelly like consistency, good flavor-taste like the fruit it should be, good as a jelly spread, and mixed into yogurt/cereal, can be eaten on its own but you'll notice the aftertaste more this way. Highly recommend

*Peanut Butter: This one is REALLY artificial tasting and the sweet/salty ratio is WAAAAY off as is the consistency. You can somewhat fix this by adding some PB2 and it's still way lower cal than regular. and its OK used in savory applications like Thai sauces but honestly this would be one to skip.

*Blueberry syrup: A bit artificial but no more so than any other fake blueberry syrup (like ihop's but without sugar). I really like this one and its great on standard breakfast stuff, over dry cereal, and added to shakes

*Chocolate syrup: Best cal free chocolate syrup i have had to date. Even better there is no Malitol and no lactose. Use as you would chocolate syrup. If you like a more dark chocolate flavor, mix with some unsweetened cocoa powder for a low cal chocolate power fix.

*Caramel Syrup: Same as chocolate, but a good note is this taste a bit more like butterscotch than caramel.

*Ranch Dressing: That funky aftertaste is there but its still worth it. I like to use this one cut with other dressings or added to sauces. No lactose either!
    *Blue Cheese dressing: Same as ranch (tho i think there's a little lactose)
    *Thousand island dressing: this one is my favorite of the creamy dressings.
    *Bacon Ranch Dressing: OMG....ok i have two favorites
    *Balsamic: It's pretty good but you can make your own low cal/low fat with waaay more flavor and less sodium, and more nutrients.
    *Original BBQ: I would cut this with regular bbq to kill that aftertaste but its good.

*A note with all dressings/bbq sauce: They are pretty high in sodium so i recommend not going over two serving despite being cal free.
    *All products are lactose free (though not sure 100% on blue cheese) but there are milk derivatives in some products. I've called out the ones that are hard to find lactose free also.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of artificial stuff in them, but if that doesn't bother you, I'd say try them. As to the taste, I honestly think that there's a genetic component that some of the ingredients taste one way to one person and another way to another person. For instance, my wife really likes the Sesame Ginger salad dressing. Also I enjoy other sesame-ginger dressings, the one from Walden Farms taste like rancid plastic to me.

On the other hand, we both love the flavored syrups; they're great on pancakes, to make chocolate or other flavored milk, or over "sundaes." The marshmallow "fluff" is good tasting, but the texture is slightly off if you're expecting traditional fluff. We haven't tried everything, but what we have tried has been worth it, and we will try others as the opportunity arises.
  • noblesseoblige
    Options
    I've tried a few of their products:
    Ranch salad dressing: really good! Very similar to the real thing
    Whipped peanut spread: it's alright if you don't mind something that tastes salty/high in sodium with a little peanut flavor in it. the texture is strange as well, nothing like real peanut butter although it gets better if you leave it in the fridge. Also there is a pretty strong after taste with this one
    Chocolate syrup: didn't like this one. It had a strange taste with a major aftertaste.
    Raspberry jam/fruit spread: really weird texture, kind of hard to spread. it was like spreading jello onto a piece of bread. taste was pretty good but a pretty strong after taste.
    I also just bought the bbq sauce, but haven't tried it yet.
  • brttnyhrrll
    Options
    my wal-mart started carrying the peanut butter & i've always wanted to try a walden farm's product & as soon as i opened it... i knew i didn't like it. it smells so gross. & even worse, it taste just like it smells. if that makes sense. i don't taste peanut butter at all. a tsp is literally all that's gone. its a full jar & idk wtf to do with it.

yuck. i love my pb2 wayyyyyy more.