Water retention help

Options
When I am at work, I am on my feet for eight hours a day. I have lost 7 pounds in 6 weeks. My problem comes on my days off. If I have 2 days in a row off, I will gain up to 3# in water weight and it takes 2 work days to get it off. I dring around 6 cups (+/-) of water a day. I have been trying to cut down on my salt intake. I am usually within 100 cals of my 1300 a day. Any Ideas on how to help/stop this water retention? I seem to be stuk at the same weight for the last 2 weeks. Thanks.

Replies

• xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Too much sodium, not enough potassium, too much sugar may all cause water retention (along with a change in your exercise routine but I don't think that applies to your case). Also hormonal changes in menstrual cycle affect women a lot. Your sodium intake isn't horribly high but body reactions differ from one to another so I'll go with the general advice: If your pee isn't clear, drink more water. And don't worry too much about what the scale says as long as it's just water and you're not feeling uncomfortably bloated.
  • j_Sparks_01
    j_Sparks_01 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that it is water retention? 7 pounds in 6 weeks is not a lot. It is possible that you are either not correctly tracking your calories or you are not watching what you eat all 7 days of the week. But if you are 100% sure it is water retention, then simply drink more water. I know it sounds so weird, but this is the best way to get rid of water retention. I am not a big water drinker myself, so I use crystal light or fresh lemon juice. Good luck!
  • makingthebook
    makingthebook Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Don't worry be happy! I'm having the same problem, except I think mine is a little more severe. You may be weighing yourself a little too much. The body naturally shifts in weight from morning to evening and from day to day. Pick one day a week at a certain time and stick with that. Also, you retain water for more reason than just sodium intake; if the weather shifts too hot or too cold the body will go into survival mode which means retaining water. In addition, the already mentioned hormonal changes and even too much sugar. Don't worry about it. If you're sticking to your calorie intake and exercising, it will work itself out.