The platteau I've been trying to prevent...

Options
I think I've hit that plateau that I've been trying to prevent. I thought I'd stay one step ahead of my body by changing by workout schedule. I went from the gym to this couch to 25k program last week and have now plateaued. I am so overweight and I should be losing a lot faster than I am and definately not plateauing! I'll just keep plugging along. My clothes are fitting better but I just want to see those darn numbers move to stay on track with my 10lbs month goal. Did anyone else notice they plateaued or gained when starting a running program? I'm also leary of adding gym time, except for weight training, back into my workout as I don't want to mess up the "rest" days with C25K. Any thoughts?

Replies

• hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    It's most likely not a real plateau.

You may be experiencing water retention from a new exercise program. Personally, I swell and gain about 2-3 lbs whenever I run.

I suggest tracking measurements in addition to the number on the scale. Also look at long term (month to month, not week to week) trends in weight loss.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Very over weight and a new exercise program? Probably retaining more water than normal for your muscles while losing fat.

Wait a few weeks. :)
  • ChiFortunate1
    ChiFortunate1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When I was training for my 1st marathon I hit many plateaus, gained and lost, it's normal. Your body is just adjusting to your routine, our bodies are wonderful adapters *shakes fist at mirror*, LOL!!! Throw something new in... like weight training twice a week (I weight train at home and it works wonders ;D ) or doing core exercises, anything "new" will probably work. Core work is absolutely necessary in keeping your running form correct so you'll be doing yourself a favor.

21371726.png
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I completely forgot about the water retention with sore muscles. I'll up the water and wait it out. I wish I had measured before I started the running, but I haven't measured in a few weeks. I'll measure today and go from there. Thanks!!
  • reree6898
    reree6898 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary and it looks like a lot of days in the last week you are not hitting 1200 calories. A woman should never eat less then 1200 per day because you can end up in starvation mode. I have a hard time hitting 1200 many days as well. Every time I hit a plateau have one day where you don't go crazy but hit like 1500-1600 calories and it will like kick start your metabolism again. Also, my trainer told me that it is best to do breakfast - snack - lunch - snack - dinner. Eating something small every 3 hours keeps your metabolism fired up in high gear. This is what I have been doing and I have lost 36 lbs. in the last 2&1/2 months. Good Luck!! :smile:
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Thanks reree. I've been having a hard time hitting the calories because I'm just not hungry with the heat. Trying to still get my protein in for fuel though. I only wish I could lose 36 lbs in 2.5 months. What are you doing to get that loss?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Thanks reree. I've been having a hard time hitting the calories because I'm just not hungry with the heat. Trying to still get my protein in for fuel though. I only wish I could lose 36 lbs in 2.5 months. What are you doing to get that loss?

I just want to remind you to not compare yourself to other people or try to lose weight this fast. 36 pounds in 10 weeks is 3.6 pounds per week, not sustainable, and she may be a lot more overweight than you are.

Please try to eat more. Add your exercise and eat those calories, too. I started where you are and always ate NET 1200 or above on many days...until I had about 10lbs to go, then I had to eat more every day.

Try eating some fruit and nuts to get in more cals. If you can add a protein smoothie blended with ice, it will cool you down and give you the much needed nutrition. Don't use the fat free stuff, use regular cheese and milk products. It will give you fats that you need, taste better, and keep you feeling satiated. Plus, you need the cals.

• mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you are getting a lean protein in within 45 mins of working out to feed your muscles. I don't eat back my exercise calories, but some people do. If you are struggling with a plateau, try eating back some of your exercise calories to up your calories.
    You need to eat more...breakfast, mid-moring snack, lunch, mid-afternoon snack- dinner - bedtime snack. Your snacks should be small, and high in protein, low in sugar/carbs. This keeps your metabolism running and burning calories. :happy:

Remember to use NSV as a guide too. Muscle and fat weight the same (meaning 1 lb of fat = 1 lb of muscle) Muscle just takes up less space. So, even though you aren't seeing the numbers on the scale drop, you may be able to see changes in the way your clothes fit. Also, losing large amounts of weight quickly will leave you with sagging skin...so working out while you are losing is very important to tone the skin as you build muscle mass.

The more muscle you have the better your body is at burning calories, even when you're not working out.

Hope this helps
  • reree6898
    Options

I understand, heat does that to me too. But I am making sure to get in a lot of protein and I have been doing 3 to 5 days a week of cardio (mostly treadmill time but some swimming too) and then doing the weights circuit at my gym 3 times a week. My trainer wanted me to get around 100 grams of protein because that will help to build muscle while you lose the fat so I do protein shakes in the morning. The main thing is to keep your metabolism fired up with the "eat every three hours" motto. My trainer told me that even if its something as simple as a tablespoon of peanut butter as a "snack" your body will recieve that protein and calories from it and keep the metabolism going strong.

I know someone else on here said to not compare weight loss with others and that is really true, we all are diffent and will lose at different rates. While I have lost 36 lbs. in the 2&1/2 months there have been some weeks when I lost 4 or 5 pounds and some weeks with 1 or 2 pounds. Just try to shake things up a bit when you feel stalled and don't get discouraged because your body will catch up with your efforts and leave the platteau stage.
  • reree6898
    Options

I just want to remind you to not compare yourself to other people or try to lose weight this fast. 36 pounds in 10 weeks is 3.6 pounds per week, not sustainable, and she may be a lot more overweight than you are.

FYI: Not trying to be ugly or anything but this is sustainable when done properly. I am working with a trainer and following the guidelines set out for me by him. Granted as I get smaller there will be less to lose and therefore probably less per week will show on the scale based on body percentages. However, I am not doing anything that is extreme or any type of fad diets, just a lot of hard work, clean eating, and cutting out soda's. Making a life change, thats all. :)
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I went on a 75 mile bike ride Saturday burned 5500 calories and gained 4 lbs over the weekend and my body still hasn't shred the water weight. Best advice is work through it....i hit mine for 2 months gaining and loosing the same 10 lbs and i was working hard everyday. One week my weight went up 14 lbs.... It just takes time to work through it and this is when most people give up.
  • ceeegeee
    ceeegeee Posts: 18
    Options
    I started this journey 5 months ago and I have lost 56 lbs. I used to get upset over not losing weight consistently, but now I see a pattern. I seem to lose 4- 5 lbs one week and then nothing for a week or longer. Then I seem to drop again. I don't know why, it could be hormones but I won't get so discouraged now. I am still losing a least 10 lbs. Keep eating clean and working out. Remember it's a way of life, your new life.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options

FYI: Not trying to be ugly or anything but this is sustainable when done properly. I am working with a trainer and following the guidelines set out for me by him. Granted as I get smaller there will be less to lose and therefore probably less per week will show on the scale based on body percentages. However, I am not doing anything that is extreme or any type of fad diets, just a lot of hard work, clean eating, and cutting out soda's. Making a life change, thats all. :)

No worries. You pretty much just defined "not sustainable."

I know nothing about you, bpwparents looks like she has about 58 pounds to lose. Three to four pounds a week is unrealistic for her. If you have 100-200 pounds to lose (I don't know you, again, just saying) yes, you can lose at a higher rate safely. As a matter of fact is it better for your health to get the weight off as quickly as possible if you are morbidly obese. So it is often recommended to have a very large deficit to facilitate that rapid loss. For bpwparents, she needs to be in the two-pounds a week or even one pound a week range at this point in her weight loss.
  • amysuespears
    Options
    To avoid the "weigh-in" blues, I don't weigh more than once a month. That allows your body to adjust properly. Most people weigh weekly, but I find that to be hectic and stressful if I gain a lb from water retention. If you can't wait a whole month, weigh in every 2 weeks. :) Also, make sure you eat enough... eat the calories that MFP suggests and don't go too much below... personal opinion :)