Camping food

Options
kdw_130
kdw_130 Posts: 18 Member
Hey all,

I'm looking for ideas for a camping trip. It's an outdoor festival with food vendors that are typically selling lots of unhealthy things (think pulled pork and the best poutine you've ever had in your life).

While I know that I'm going to have some of this food, I'd like to be prepared and bring along some of my own healthier snacks for the day. I'd prefer to have things that I don't have to worry about keeping cold, and nothing that needs to be prepared on a fire (we aren't allowed campfires).

So far I've come up with cereal for the mornings (I plan on buying milk from the vendors), pepperidge farm cracker chips (awesome taste for very little calories), trail mix (although i feel like this could be scary and I'd end up consuming way more than I need).

Just wondering if anyone has experience bringing along apples or other fruits/veggies without worrying too much about keeping them cold...

Replies

• dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I live in a very hot climate, even indoors with the air conditioning on it's over 30 degrees C (86 F) and we keep most fruit out of the fridge all the time and it doesn't affect it. In fact bananas go off quicker in the fridge than out (no idea why).

If it's just for one day a lot of foods like bread can stay out of the fridge (although they will go moldy much more quickly out of the fridge, they won't in just one day). I'd usually take sandwiches on that kind of trip, and stick a small ice pack in the sandwich bag

If you get a small insulated lunch bag and stick a small ice pack in it, that will keep things like salads cool for a few hours. So long as you've prepared the food hygienically back home, then kept it in the fridge until you're ready to leave, this should keep it cool enough not to give you food poisoning.

cereal bars (get ones that are not choc full of hidden sugars) are also great for taking on trips. My family once drove 10 hrs through the Arabian desert, and our provisions were bread rolls, cheese, cereal bars and a huge container of water. There were no restaurants to stop at along the way, at least not for the first 9 hrs.