salad rut

BiggestLittlePurdy
BiggestLittlePurdy Posts: 21 Member
ok so i make amazing and creative salads for lunch, but i am getting into a rut. always lettuce, assorted veggies and chicken. the dressings change, the veggies change, sometimes with fat free feta or some aged parm but the basic bowl remains the same. I am not eating any starches right now, for another 10 days so that limits the fun grain salads or beet salads. any ideas?

Replies

• newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Not sure what you consider a starch since vitually all non-meats will have carbs...but I put berries in mine when I'm getting bored. It makes it a little sweet. Goat cheese is good too...especially the herb ones. You could try hitting up a farm stand or farmers market and trying a new veggie to jumpstart your enthusiasm.
  • daryllynn515
    daryllynn515 Posts: 17 Member
    I'm sure this is going to sound wierd, but it's so good! (Well, I think it is anyway) I'm a salad nut too. Always have one with my meals at night. One night, I decided to try something different and I added one of those Minuite Rice Single serving cups (Brown and long grain rice) to my salad with my normal 1/2 Tablespoon olice oil and 1 table spoon balsamic vinager. It is so good, and it's warm which gives it a nice twist from the traditional "cold" salad we always eat. :)
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    slivered/diced nuts, Chestnuts & bean sprouts give a nice crunch.

a sliced egg, spinach, strawberries and a vinagerette dressing is good. arugula can add a peppery kick. some dried fruit can give a variety, too.

I like a warm thai beef salad. it has iceburg lettuce, beef, tomatoes, red onions and cukes. It's spicy with a lime twist and the beef is served warm.

roma, zuke and chicken is really really good.

seasoning your olive oil with a variety of herbs and spices along with shredded cheese is super good.
    I used all things italian, finely diced tomatoes, onions and bell peppers. garlic paste, and it keeps well.

I like rice wine vinegar with cukes, tomato, onion and seafood.
  • Earthshine
    Earthshine Posts: 18 Member
    What about a tuna lettuce wrap and grilled veggie sides, like grilled zucchini or egg plant, grilled asparagus, etc.
  • my salad kickers are the following.... pepperchinis, dried cranberry, apple chunks, ruby grapefruit hunks, grated or thinly cut carrots, sunflower seeds (trader joes) red bell peppers, etc..

try having spinach salads, i love spinach!!! also addding fresh herbs like cilantro or italian parsley.

i doubt ive said anything new here but maybe something will help