Why is healthy eating so expensive?

Options
I have been trying to eat a lot healthier and so for the last three weeks or so i have been buying alot of fresh produce, low fat yogurts, 'whole' foods, quorn (instead of meat) but can not believe how expensive it is! I have done my months shopping budget in 2 weeks!!! Any advice on healthy, cheaper options???

Replies

• ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Look for deals, buy stuff that doesn't go bad in bulk, buy fruits and veggies that are in season, be flexible (if you go shopping with a recipe in mind and you see a substitute thats less expensive, buy it)
  • reojames
    reojames Posts: 96
    Options
    My wife and I have been wondering the same thing! We finally signed up for Blue Ribbon foods about 2 years ago and love it! Healthy foods, low price and convenient delivery! If you decide to check them out, remember this: The food is fantastic, but do NOT buy their freezer. Get a good used one or pick one up at Lowes or somewhere....
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    frozen veggies. fruit that is in season. coupons!!!!! look at food ads for better deals. make a grocery list off a menu and stick with it.
    change up recipes if an ingredients isn't something that you cook with often.
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    I don't know where you live, but start a garden if you feel up to it. It subsidizes the produce cost. I have an over abundance of peppers, cukes, zukes, broccoli and tomatoes. It takes a little work, but it's worth it in the end.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    coupons, deals, check other stores. go to them, if the store you frequent has price match use it! Good luck!
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i go for frozen vegetables and berries where i can as i can buy those for the month in one go
    my monthly shop for dinners this month was £112
    my lunches (fresh fruit, yoghurts, cheese dippers, carrot sticks etc) I budget £25 a week
    My overall budget comes out to be around £225 (my first week i went over the £25 but my appetite is lessening and now Im learning to eat less but more often)
    im lucky, i dont have kids of my own, i dont smoke, i dont drive, i only drink twice a month - my treat is getting my hair done, and so I consider my food to be instead of the smokes, car etc
    im very lucky to not have the financial pressures of most when it comes to household outgoings and I know its not as easy for most.

I have found that using a £2.99 pack of quorn (450g) and making a quorn chilli it lasted me 4 days - I had a lot of things in the cupboards so wasnt too bad but using what I used, i think it cost me about £5 to make - £1.25 a day I dont consider too bad - instead of rice or pasta (avoiding those) i just cooked up 100g peas, 100g baby carrots and 100g sweetcorn and had the chilli with those - my frozen vegetables are from Iceland are are c.800g-1000g a bag for £1 each so again, around 50p for the veg, £1.25 for the chilli....
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Well I always like this saying... " If you think eating healthy is expensive, have you priced cancer lately?' I know it sucks but you tend to stay healthy longer and away from the doctor if you eat healthy and spend less money paying the doctor and getting to enjoy yummy amazing food that you know is real. =0)
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't always available for everyone, but try a farmers market for produce. Usually a bit cheaper (but not always).
  • sunshine31797
    sunshine31797 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion to buy fresh food that are in season as they are usually less expensive then. Also, consider buying frozen fruits and vegetables. They are healthy and retain their nutrition better because they are usually frozen at their peak. However, you may want to do a quick check to make there is nothing added but the fruits or vegetables (i.e. no added sugar, salt, seasonings. I hope that helps.
  • MrGarciasWifey
    Options
    I have the answer...Co-Op! This lady at my husbands work told him about Bountiful Baskets. We LOVE it! ♥ I encourage everyone to see if they have one in your area. When I initially signed up I was reluctant mainly because of the "unknown". I wasn't sure how much we would get for the money we were paying. IT IS WORTH THE $15! You get more food, fresh food, for $15 from the co-op than you could ever go an buy at the store. Plus they use local farmers as much as possible. They even have the option to upgrade your basket to organic for $10 more!! http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how you see it as expensive. Buy in bulk and cook.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Are there discount food stores in your area? Sometimes you can get healthy stuff at much better prices. It takes a little work shoping around buts once you know where to get what it makes it a little easier. Also adjust your menu to the sales items. THis week lettuce was buy one get one free at our local market so salads it is! :)
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Compare the costs of the healthy eating to the cost of the unhealthy eating plus the costs of future medical bills related to a poor diet....then which one's more expensive?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I don't think we are spending any more, but I am definately buying different things. No snack stuff, no fast food, more fresh fruits and veggies. I think on average, we are spending about the same...but I do watch for sales and coupons, and tend not to buy organics on most items because of the cost. (some things its worth it, but not always)
    If you live somewhere that has a CSA or food co-op, that can be a big help. We buy from Bountiful Baskets co-op twice a month and get an amazing amount of produce very inexpensively. It means spending a little more time cooking and planning, to use it up efficiently, but that's a good thing!
    If you're buying most of your food at Whole Paycheck...well then, yeah, its gonna cost you..... I love to shop there. I don't love to buy there.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I buy things I can use for lots of different meals! I refuse to buy fake processed meat products because they are way to pricey so I make my own! Buying things in bulk is a good idea, instead of 5 small things of yogurt I have started buying the big tub and adding my own fruit!

You can look at my diary and see how I manage! :)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live, but start a garden if you feel up to it. It subsidizes the produce cost. I have an over abundance of peppers, cukes, zukes, broccoli and tomatoes. It takes a little work, but it's worth it in the end.

^^This! And gardening is great exercise, too. :) You can also take some of the surplus and can your own veggie soups. Less sodium and it gives you some good veggies throughout the winter.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/22/farm-subsidies-junk-food_n_975711.html

This is part of it. Loooooong discussion entailed in that one though.

Short answer is what everyone else has said. Look for sales, buy in bulk, freeze what you can. It's still totally workable, just takes more effort than eating junk.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have been wondering the same thing! We finally signed up for Blue Ribbon foods about 2 years ago and love it! Healthy foods, low price and convenient delivery! If you decide to check them out, remember this: The food is fantastic, but do NOT buy their freezer. Get a good used one or pick one up at Lowes or somewhere....

Where do you see the prices, I went on there but they showed no prices even when I went to place my order........................I don't like that.
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Well I always like this saying... " If you think eating healthy is expensive, have you priced cancer lately?' I know it sucks but you tend to stay healthy longer and away from the doctor if you eat healthy and spend less money paying the doctor and getting to enjoy yummy amazing food that you know is real. =0)

hmmm, never thought about it this way...