Poll of the Day: Do You Actually Read Nutrition Labels?

Options

Replies

• missiebriggs
    Options
    Oh ya! Always looking at the label. My family gets irritated at me sometimes because I'm always comparing things and reading the labels which does take time but worth it.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I sure do! And it's depressing as hell. Do you know how much garbage is in processed foods?? Makes you feel like you need to start your own farm if you want to eat healthy. :ohwell:
  • rowyourboat
    rowyourboat Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Considering my husband just had a heart attack...every....single....thing. It takes me about 2 hours to grocery shop now, looking for the most heart healthy item I'm looking for.
  • sedechenne
    Options
    Yes I do, however I recently discovered an interesting way to shop at the grocery store. As much as possible don't go down the aisles, stay on the outside ring of the store. At most stores this is where the fruits, vegatables, dairy, and meats are. This cuts down on the amount of processed food you eat (and means you read a lot less labels). I was also amazed at how fast shopping becomes when you do this (and I hate grocery shopping).
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    #allthedamntime
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, I read nutrition labels. And the ingredients, since the serviing size can be set low to make something such as trans fat round to zero when a normal serviing would be more than what is on the label. I do get a little lax about it with foods I routinely buy. I was recently surprised to find that the calcium in a product had dropped even though the label had not changed. :grumble:

I do not always look up the calorie counts to see if what is in MFP is accurate. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It just depends on my mood and how busy I am.
  • matmismel
    matmismel Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yep, on every item that has a label. To be honest normally I am just looking for the serving size and calories, but lately I have been trying to look at sugar too...it is EVERYWHERE!
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Not only do I read labels, I find them interesting. Weird I know.

I'm with you here--I find it interesting, and am appalled at the misleading that manufacturers do to disguise the calorie count in servings, the packaging is very misleading. Another thing, take a look at a 1/2 gallon of something--you will find that although they look the same size, often they are really only 60 oz, not 64. Manufacturers get away with misleading all the time.
  • mommasox
    mommasox Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    YES! I read every label unless it is something I buy on a regular basis. I focus mostly on calories, serving size, carbs, sugars, fat, protien, sodium, and fiber. I also will take a quick look at the ingrediants.

My daughter hates it when I am looking for new things because it takes me so long to decide.
  • Monnietron
    Monnietron Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do. I'm so bad I point out to people things like, "you do realize there are 41 grams of carbs, which is all sugar, in that one lousy can of soda!"
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I'd say about 90% of the time.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Time to 'fess up: We all know that it's important to be aware about what we're feeding our bodies, but do you actually take the time to read nutrition labels, look up calorie counts, and more?

Yes. I do. Not only am I concerned about calorie counts and fat content but I have several food sensitivities and labels are very important to me.
  • anewleaf2011
    Options
    I've been a label reader for several years and have put back many an item after seeing the ick it had to offer. I've become even worse now that I'm lactose intolerant. Milk is in so many things that you wouldn't even think of, like fries for instance. It's ok though. Makes me grab a sack of potatoes and bake my own. Much healthier that way anyway.
  • mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes:happy:
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    I'll confess that sometimes I don't. For example, I'd buy a can of salmon thinking it was the same as any other salmon and then later discover it got more of this or that and it isn't the same. I've actually had a friend on here point out a massive difference in brands that I never noticed (in terms of calories, not so much anything that I didn't want to eat!)

I can too easily fall into a trap of thinking that the same type of food will be the same, when it's not.

I do make better efforts to read labels now, but I also have a fairly good idea in general so that if I'm in a hurry I'll just stick with what I know. I haven't come across any truly nasty surprises. Yeah sure, some things are higher calorie than others, but if I'm not sure if something is worth it health wise, it's bound to be something that I will check the label for - nutrition and ingredients.

So I'd say that I check labels about 80% of the time.
  • marthathebear
    Options
    Yes!
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I can't hardly pick up any food and put it in my mouth without reading the nutrition label first. It's getting myself to care about what that label says that's the issue. It has to be pretty scary to keep me from eating something once I've made up my mind to eat it.
  • Eisskween
    Eisskween Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I read them religiously, to the point where I'm kind of obsessive about it. LOL
  • blesssedmomof4
    blesssedmomof4 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, much to my boyfriend's dismay. I also calorie count at restaurants and take forever to order :)

^^^This. My husband has learned to just sit and wait because if I don't know from their website what I want, I look it all up before ordering! I also enter everything before I take my first bite.
  • bipsqueen
    bipsqueen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes I definitely read the labels, and for unlabeled fruits, veggies and meats, I look it up on my phone! I'm very concerned about calories, sugar and carbs!