Spot reducing...

Options

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Losing body fat is accomplished through a calorie deficit. This can be done with or without cardio.

Weight lifting (low-ish reps, high weight) is the best way to maintain muscle during weight loss.

Abs are muscle. If you'd like visible abs eat at a calorie deficit to remove the fat above your muscles, lift heavy weights (pretty sure 30 Day Shred isn't this) to maintain the muscles so that they still exist when it's time to show.
  • ckay220
    ckay220 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    To everyone that said, you cannot spot reduce, I 100% already knew that. What I'm asking is-Is the 30 Day Shred and things like it the correct way to tone your body as well as acquiring abs? By building your muscle through strength training and doing more cardio than strength training, is this the correct way to get abs? By combining cardio with strength training but doing more cardio than strength training?

If you knew spot reducing was a 100% untrue, why did you create an entire post worrying about if 30DS was a spot reducing workout or not? Confuzzled
    What I was doing with my original question was basically clarifying what the 30 day shred was...the woman that said she lost weight by spot reducing was doing the 30 DS and I was trying to clarify in my mind questions about the technique that Jillian uses...which is why I asked the questions after "Because if you want abs, and the fat off of your abs, don't you have to do crunches to build muscle as well as cardio to work the fat off? Which is why there is more cardio in the 30DS than there is ab work?" I may not be the best explainer, but I've seen the words "YOU CANNOT SPOT REDUCE" enough in my time here to know that you cannot spot reduce.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    So 30 Day Shred isn't a spot reducing workout? this workout IS the right way to get things such as abs, by doing circuit training?

There are 0 workouts in the world that spot reduce.
    Crunching your stomach to pieces will not necessarily get you abs.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    The best way to reduce fat and show your abs is to eat well and I mean very well. "abs are made in the kitchen." 30DS is a workout to combine strength and cardio. It helps to improve muscle and reduce fat.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    This thread made me facepalm...repeatedly.
  • ckay220
    Options
    And why is that?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Losing body fat is accomplished through a calorie deficit. This can be done with or without cardio.

Weight lifting (low-ish reps, high weight) is the best way to maintain muscle during weight loss.

Abs are muscle. If you'd like visible abs eat at a calorie deficit to remove the fat above your muscles, lift heavy weights (pretty sure 30 Day Shred isn't this) to maintain the muscles so that they still exist when it's time to show.
    Please actually read the replies, not just skim and repeat the same questions about 30DS and will it get you abs.

Or better yet, read this one and be done.
  • sarineb12
    Options
    Lol, she knows that you cannot spot reduce. but to answer your question 30DS is a great over all workout. It definitely does show both weight loss and tone definition. just stay consistent and eat right.. due to the fact that its both cardio and strength train it will definitely give you a overall body change... hope that helped :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    30DS is a good place to start. It's a mostly cardio workout with some resistance training thrown in. You will become more fit and stronger and look better as a result. You won't build muscle while doing it.

When something like the 30DS is no longer a challenge, when you're arms no longer get sore from doing workouts with dumbbells, you'll want to move on to heavier weight training, and that's where you'll really see your body transform. You don't have to wait to start more serious strength training, but if you already have a pair of dumbbells and the DVD, you might as well use it.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options
    And why is that?
    The fact that I have to spell it out is also making me facepalm...repeatedly.
  • ckay220
    Options
    The whole point in me say "but that's not a spot reducing workout is it?" was so that I could continue my post in trying to understand exactly what Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred was about. I was trying to figure out if the combination of more cardio, less abs with a good diet of course would lead the individual that was exercising to develop either a flatter stomach or more defined abdominal muscles. The tone of this entire post seemed to turn into a slight beration towards me because I used the term spot reducing, which I guess is banished from life on this website. However, I've received the answer and would really appreciate if everyone would stop quoting the words "you cannot spot reduce" because I get it, I got it, I previously understood that, I'll understand it in the future, and if anyone, anyone in life dare to ever ask me if you can spot reduce, before they even get the words out, I'll make sure to take a megaphone and scream it at them repeatedly so they'll get it..mmkay?
  • ckay220
    Options
    Lol, she knows that you cannot spot reduce. but to answer your question 30DS is a great over all workout. It definitely does show both weight loss and tone definition. just stay consistent and eat right.. due to the fact that its both cardio and strength train it will definitely give you a overall body change... hope that helped :)
    It did! & Thanks to everyone who actually answered my question without a bunch of smart remarks. I didn't need all of those.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Reduce body fat to reveal abdominal muscles. Lift heavy to build them. /endthread :indifferent:
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    with 60 to lose there's a lot of time to worry about visible abs.

remember though that abs are a core muscle. the only way to have visible abs is to have good muscle definition ALL OVER and a low BF%.

30DS is good for now, but you're going to want to start lifting heavy weights in complex movements too. Check out Strong Lifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women. basically work your WHOLE body and you will love your results.
  • ckay220
    Options
    :noway: :indifferent: :huh: :grumble:

... :smile:
  • ckay220
    Options
    with 60 to lose there's a lot of time to worry about visible abs.

remember though that abs are a core muscle. the only way to have visible abs is to have good muscle definition ALL OVER and a low BF%.

30DS is good for now, but you're going to want to start lifting heavy weights in complex movements too. Check out Strong Lifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women. basically work your WHOLE body and you will love your results.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I like turtles.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    You couldn't spot reduce if you wanted to. I'm doing the 30DS precisely because it's a good full-body workout. I'm only a week into it so I haven't seen any significant changes yet, other than it's getting easier to do.

I think people think they're spot reducing because they're focusing on a certain problem area. When they lose weight all over, they see it mostly in that one area they are focused on and think they've managed to spot reduce.

Work on strengthening the muscles and when the fat goes, they'll be waiting underneath.
    So are you saying I should be doing more strength training than cardio?

You have 60 pounds to lose. It's gonna be a while before you see your abs. Keep doing 30DS. You won't get a six pack anytime soon.

Yup.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options
    I like turtles.
    Mmm, turtles.