settle a dispute?

Options
Scrambled eggs vs. fried eggs:

When I do scrambled eggs, I do them in a skillet with olive oil. Just eggs; no milk, no salt or other additives.

When I fry eggs, I fry them in the same skillet, with olive oil. Just eggs. No milk, no salt, no other additives.

My wife says fried eggs have more calories. I say that they're the same. Opinions?

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    same ingredients, same calories. in fact, same cooking method it's just you mess up the scrambled ones and leave the fried alone.

However, personally I would replace the olive oil with butter...
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If there is a difference, it's negligible
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    It is the exact same calories just made differently!
  • grammylouise
    Options
    Obviously the same. She's just going by the fact that as we all know fried is generally worse. But in this case it is not.
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    As long as you are using the same ingredients in the same amount... they are the same.

Poach them! Less calories, more delicious.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure she is wrong! That's funny though
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    The only difference would come from how much egg ends up stuck to the pan.
  • cindy6649
    cindy6649 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I tend to use more oil when I fry the eggs than when I scramble them so that adds a few more calories.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs vs. fried eggs:

When I do scrambled eggs, I do them in a skillet with olive oil. Just eggs; no milk, no salt or other additives.

When I fry eggs, I fry them in the same skillet, with olive oil. Just eggs. No milk, no salt, no other additives.

My wife says fried eggs have more calories. I say that they're the same. Opinions?

Did your wife explain her reasoning? That may make her have to walk through her own logic and see that it makes no sense.

How does stirring the eggs change anything?
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Unless the amount of oil changes, its the same.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    If you're going to scramble the eggs, why need olive oil?

When I make scrambled eggs, i just scramble them in a non-stick pan. No extra ingredients added. In that case YES, one fried egg has more calories than my scrambled egg.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    I think it really depends on how yellow the yolk is, and at what time in the morning you are cooking these eggs. Details people!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I think you could argue that the scrambled eggs have more calories because the oil generally would get incorporated into the eggs as you scramble. Fried eggs on the other hand will leave some of the oil in the pan. As pointed out, it's pretty much negligible. No one is going to lose or gain weight based on the difference between one cooking method or the other.

Oh and for the record, I prefer bacon drippings. Mmm bacon...
  • aricbramlett
    aricbramlett Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would say she is backwards. Unless you lick the plate clean, you will leave some of the yolk behind on plate with the fried eggs...
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Did your wife explain her reasoning? That may make her have to walk through her own logic and see that it makes no sense.

Your wife has logic?
    Does she use it?

Mind = blown.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If you're using the exact same amount of oil for both, they're both exactly the same.

The assumption is probably coming from the fact that fried eggs are more commonly associated with oil than scrambled eggs, so the added calories and fat of the oil would be more commonly added to fried eggs in most people's minds than scrambled. (though, in most diners/restaurants, the cooks use oil with the scrambled eggs as well)

Personally, I just use a really good non-stick pan with barely a spritz of spray oil that I wipe all over the pan with a paper towel before putting the eggs in. I do fried and scrambled this way and never have a problem with sticking and no added calories to either.
  • sofakingawesome69
    Options
    Unless the hen was brown, not white. that changes everything..
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on how yellow the yolk is, and at what time in the morning you are cooking these eggs. Details people!

I agree.
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Does a pound of fat weigh more than a pound of muscle? No, it just looks different.
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    my scrambled eggs usually have less because I lose half my egg stuck to the skillet :laugh: not sure why those stick and the fried eggs do not.