Raw food diet

Options
paulkj
paulkj Posts: 163 Member
Has anyone tried this?

I have been eating partially raw; the exception being my coffee-daily, my homemade protein muffins-daily and maybe fish - occassionaly. Other than that, everything I eat is raw (fruits, veggies, nuts). I wasn't logging it in because I was eating as much as I wanted. I lost weight. When I did take the time to log it in, I noticed that I was way over on carbs (from all the fruit) and fat (from the avocados and nuts) as well as calories. I don't feel deprived or hungry and feel as if I have more energy and I feel lighter.

For those who have tried it...What was it like for you? Did you maintain, gain or lose weight? Did you stay within your MFP numbers? If you did go back to cooked foods, how did your body react.

TIA

Replies

• Healthz1
    Healthz1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started eating about 85% raw on October 1st. I must say, I feel better, lighter, and have more energy. I've only lost 3 pounds eating this way--but I lost over 5 inches. I began eating raw because I reached a plateau (had lost 40 pounds and no more!) and wanted to try something different. I am going to stick with this for the rest of the year and see what happens. I still want to lose 20 pounds--I am hoping this will do the trick! I'm not sure I have enough experience to really give you an answer--but I do enjoy this lifestyle and it's nice to see a message on here about eating raw!
  • HipsLipsMama
    Options
    I did raw food for about 8 months.. and i didnt follow any guidelines as far as calories, carbs, fat, etc. I tried not to eat a ton of fat though, because i noticed that i felt better when I had more carbs. I also lost weight, about 20 lbs. When i went back to eating cooked, i never gained those 20 lbs back. (although i have done other "diets" since then such as vegan and calorie cycling.)

In my opinion, when eating raw, as long as you feel well, are healthy (losing weight if overweight or maintaining if at the right weight), and are getting a variety of fruits and vegetables to ensure proper nutrition, you dont need to count calories or grams of carbs.
  • paulkj
    paulkj Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just started eating about 85% raw on October 1st. I must say, I feel better, lighter, and have more energy. I've only lost 3 pounds eating this way--but I lost over 5 inches. I began eating raw because I reached a plateau (had lost 40 pounds and no more!) and wanted to try something different. I am going to stick with this for the rest of the year and see what happens. I still want to lose 20 pounds--I am hoping this will do the trick! I'm not sure I have enough experience to really give you an answer--but I do enjoy this lifestyle and it's nice to see a message on here about eating raw!

I think I am going to stick with it as well. I feel much better especially digestion wise:blushing: ... and like the other poster stated, I didn't count calories, carbs or fats. The only problem is that I don't think I am getting enough protein.

any suggestions.
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing - I would love to do that but sometimes you need to go out into the world. I can't date and eat just raw food lol. how often can you break the fast?
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    How do you get protein on a raw food diet? Are nuts the only real source?
  • whidbeyweight
    whidbeyweight Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i'm about 80% raw right now. by day 3 i had no desire for processed foods. i do include a boiled/ scrambled egg for protein. but you can find things like "raw almond/ peanut butter" for protein (with an apple). you can also soak chick peas etc. to turn it into a hummus- and it's still raw. raw is different than being a vegatarian... but maybe start with adding a fruit or veggie to each meal :)
  • whidbeyweight
    whidbeyweight Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    OHH and i finally moved the scale... i've lost 2 lbs in 6 days, with out anymore exercise than walking :)
  • noseovertail
    Options
    I wanted to bump this thread to see how the raw food diet people are doing. I've tried going 100% raw, I was successful for about 3 months but it was too expensive for me to continue. I think it's a wonderful lifestyle though, if you can pull it off.
  • melizabeth
    Options
    i've been transitioning into a raw food diet for a few months now. it's always been hard for me to make changes. lol! so i don't beat myself up if i "fall off the wagon." i just try to do better at the next meal. raw food is full of digestive enzymes and nutrients that your body needs and if you get enough of them, your issues with eating, such as (cravings for junk food, late-night splurging, etc.) will begin to diminish. i like the way Ani Phyo puts it, "being good to your body will always be right and when your body is ready to be 100% raw, that is when you make the transition. being too hard on ourselves b/c we have to be "all or nothing" puts stress on the body too. so be good to yourself."

i love her!
    she's an amazing chef!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    i have been tring to transition to becomeing a veggie/raw a d when i do i don't think i will count calories or fats or thing of that sort either....if you are eating that healthy your body will let you know what it needs.
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    Options
    I'd love to hear more about what you eat on a raw diet. And the 15% that isn't raw - what's that made up of?

Thanks!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I love this idea!! I don't eat very many processed foods (protein shakes) but I do cook my veggies sometimes. I'll have to incorporate more raw foods :-)
  • melizabeth
    Options
    when i don't eat raw, it's usually vegan proteins or occasional bread slip. i'm addicted to bread, i swear. lol! also, sometimes soup. i try to make healthy choices if i'm not going to eat raw.
  • robinsonmsn
    robinsonmsn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Anyone doing the Renegade Health Raw Food Challenge... renegadehelath.com? or the Coolercleanse.com juice fast? I'm going for seven days raw.....
  • lovmykids
    lovmykids Posts: 51
    Options
    Anyone doing the Renegade Health Raw Food Challenge... renegadehelath.com? or the Coolercleanse.com juice fast? I'm going for seven days raw.....

I have been wondering about the raw food challenge. How are you feeling and doing with it?
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Skinny_Mocha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to transition to mostly raw and non-processed foods (avoiding chemicals in my health & beauty products, too). Does anyone have suggestions for good resources on this?

I want to find things out like what foods are really natural vs. companies claiming "natural" to fool the consumer into thinking they're buying healthy? You know, like, are certain foods safe in generic forms because they don't require a lot of processing or preservatives to begin with (like maybe peanut butter, for example)? Is anyone part of an online group that discusses or provides this information?

I'm having a hard time expressing my inquiry intelligently, so I apologize if I'm not making sense!
  • kickitlarson
    kickitlarson Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hi Swayne!! You have a lot of great questions!! I recently put together a Raw challenge for the month of July you can check it out in the link below. I touched on a lot of great topics including beauty products, processed foods, PROTEIN, and places to go for more info. If it comes in a package I immediately question everything. The first step - are the ingredients recognizable? Did you know that regular sugar is processed with animal bone char? WTF? Why the heck is this needed & why don't they have to say this on the label? The world has become a stange place but you are definitely headed in the right direction!

Feel free to contact me or even add any questions you have to our thread listed below....we will continue to share through that outlet. Also check out rawfoodtalk.com - great & active forum for raw fooders.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/103574-clean-fresh-raw-challenge-for-july