Loads of calories left, what to eat?

Options
124»

Replies

• foreveryounique
    foreveryounique Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What have you done to burn 500 cals today? How did you estimate it?

Walking, 3.5 mph, brisk pace 23 minutes 146 cals
    Elliptical Trainer 5mins 74 cals
    Stationary bike, moderate effort (bicycling, cycling, biking) 10mins 117cals
    Swimming, breaststroke, general 15minutes 251 calories

Used mfp Exercise Tool

I weight 270 pounds.
    There is NO way you burned 74 calories in 5 minutes, or 251 calories in 15 minutes in the pool. I generally burn about 350 for an hour of swimming vigorously. I'd half all of those calories.

^^This. MFP estimates very high.

Well I am going by MFP tool. does it not work then?

Check out this calorie calculator. It gives a more comprehensive look ar your caloric breakdown.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I think it's better to add in extra cal through out the day if you consistently go under, like chop up some walnuts for your oatmeal, add a tablespoon of ground flax, add a half an avocado to your lunch/dinner, etc. Then you don't have to find stuff to shovel down at the end of the night, ykwim?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    2 - How the heck did you wind up with so many calories left at the end of the day?!?! Why does this never happen to me!

Before I added my dinner I had a 1000 something calories left over. Ate a pretty small breakfast and a decent sized lunch.. plus I logged what my HRM said for strength training. Not exactly the most accurate in the world, but since I leave calories left over at the end of the day anyway, I figure I'm ok.

To OP:
    You got good advice already.. and theres not much more I can add :)
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    This whole thread has just seemed like someone joking to me.

:noway:
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Always estimate LOW on your calories burned.
    And the protein grams are set as a MINIMUM. Just like calcium or fiber.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Used mfp Exercise Tool

I weight 270 pounds.
    There is NO way you burned 74 calories in 5 minutes, or 251 calories in 15 minutes in the pool. I generally burn about 350 for an hour of swimming vigorously. I'd half all of those calories.

It estimates very high.. doesn't take in account your actual exertion or your heart rate.
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    there is a lot of hand holding going on in this thread

Yes, and I am really grateful to all the people that are helping me. If you are not interested in the thread then don't post on it!
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Used mfp Exercise Tool

I weight 270 pounds.

It estimates very high.. doesn't take in account your actual exertion or your heart rate.

Just been to the gym and used the electronic calculations on the treadmill which included entering my weight and monitoring my heart rate and in 30 minutes it calculated I did 190 calories. I was doing mainly between 3 and 3.5mph with 1-2min short interval bursts at 4.3mph. which is exactly what MFP calculated it at for 3.5mph - so I will still use MFP even though I do interval training it will be there or there abouts
  • laineymburnett
    Options
    there is a lot of hand holding going on in this thread

Yes, and I am really grateful to all the people that are helping me. If you are not interested in the thread then don't post on it!

I agree Lisa... thats what this site is supposed to be about, supporting each other... :frown:
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat every single calorie