Shoes - probably asked a million times...

Options
I am currently wearing Asics running shoes. My workouts consist of walking and running. I'd say on a 4 mile outing I can do about 50 of both or sometimes I can do 90 of jogging. Some days it just depends. Should I be wearing a different shoe? I am due for a new pair because I have plum wore this pair OUT!

Replies

• itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about getting a good pair of shoes for running, go to a running shop and have them test your gait. They'll be much better equipped to recommend a shoe for you than someone from the internet who has never seen your feet, let alone how you run.

You can also bring your old shoes with you, sometimes they can look at where it's worn to help determine your gait.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    ditto what itsuki said!
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about getting a good pair of shoes for running, go to a running shop and have them test your gait. They'll be much better equipped to recommend a shoe for you than someone from the internet who has never seen your feet, let alone how you run.

You can also bring your old shoes with you, sometimes they can look at where it's worn to help determine your gait.

^THIS^
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Are you having foot, knee, or other problems? If not, carry on, and if they are that worn out, get the same kind.
    Some people go through 10+ pairs of shoes until they find the right one, sounds like you are already there!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I loooooooooove my Rykas. They're designed specifically for women's feet, and the difference they made for me was incredible. My distance improved just by switching to them because I wasn't overcompensating for bad form anymore. So if you're going to get a new pair I'd definitely look into those.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I also agree with @itsuki but I'll go ahead and give my opinion.

"Asics" are a good running shoe but I personally prefer the brand "Saucony", especially if you have wide feet! I personally love mine and they are working very well :smile:
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Get fitted at a specialty store. If they carry it, it's a good brand. Don't get stuck on that. Once they make suggestions for you based on your gait, pick out the pair of shoes that feels the best. I ran in Mizuno for years. Before got fitted, I would never have even considered buying a Mizuno shoe.
  • foreversunshine1
    foreversunshine1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you don't know how your gait is, having a shop test you is good. I am a pronator with almost flat feet (feet roll inward). I need a shoe with stability, so my personal favorite is Asics Kyano running shoes... ! They are pricey (any good running shoe is) but it's like jogging on a cloud--- no sore knees or joints! ! You can catch them on sale at Roadrunner.com on occasion. Good Luck!
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    I also agree with @itsuki but I'll go ahead and give my opinion.

"Asics" are a good running shoe but I personally prefer the brand "Saucony", especially if you have wide feet! I personally love mine and they are working very well :smile:

I agree with Saucony. They wider toe box made a difference for me, lost a few toenails before I discovered Saucony! Also got a style for stability since I overpronate and was getting shin splints.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I agree with what's been said. Go get fitted. A good running shoe is more expensive, but worth it. If it is the right fight, you won't need to break it in, and you'll reduce your chances of getting injured.

For what its worth, I've run in Brooks Adrenaline for years (its a pretty neutral shoe), with a pair of Brooks Pure Cadence mixed in to improve my arch strength. Everyone is different though. Good luck!
  • RunningWithoutAWatch
    Options
    If it aint broke, dont fix it. If the asics are working fine for you, I would not change them. I wear the brooks adrenaline as well. I have been wearing these for over 6 years. I changed earlier this year to try a cheaper shoe made by brooks. I wound up hurting my foot and being sidelined for a week.

Jay
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    ...I've run in Brooks Adrenaline for years (its a pretty neutral shoe)...

Brooks Adrenaline is one of the most popular Stability shoes on the market, not neutral. I ran in them when I didn't know better and got hurt. Got fitted, found out I am neutral and haven't had the injury issues since switching.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options

Brooks Adrenaline is one of the most popular Stability shoes on the market, not neutral. I ran in them when I didn't know better and got hurt. Got fitted, found out I am neutral and haven't had the injury issues since switching.

Ha, someone in my running store lied to me. Oh well, if it works :)
  • josenichols
    Options

BROOKS!!! Clouds for my feet!
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I hate Asics. I'm with itsuki
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

And THAT is what is most important!
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options

^^^^^ best advice!!
  • OMGlob
    OMGlob Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi - I run in a pair of Saucony pro grid Triumph 8. They are for neutral runners and fit beautifully (I have wide feet). I had to go up a size to get the best fit but no black toenails for me!!!

I've always heard that running shoes shoud be replaced at approx 300-350 miles but am not sure whether that is true or just a marketing ploy to make us buy new ones?!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options

And THAT is what is most important!

Seriously! I have been injury-free since switching to Brooks from generic Nike's 4 years ago. I can't stress enough how important the right fit is.