Protein Bars

Options
Tilran
Tilran Posts: 626 Member
Hi all,

Anyone here know alot about protien bars and what they are acctually ment for? The reason I ask is I know the simple fact that Protein builds muscle and helps them recover after workouts.

I had an insane muscle workout Saturday where I pushed myself pretty hard....I was having a hard time lifting my keys to unlock the car door type of thing...so I stopped by the grocery store for a gatorade and passed by the nutrition aisle and decided to pick up a Clif protein bar. It was 20g of protein and some vitamins and minerals and taste ok for a protein bar (it was the cookies and creme version)

Prior to that workout I only really had 2 eggs around 10am, the workout was around 1pm and I got out at 3pm. So I had this protein bar, a gatorade and about half a cup of fruit. I really wasen't hungry until around 7-8pm that night. I know protein is a hunger suppresent but man that worked.

Now what I'm wondering is, how worth are these protein bars at 2.50$ or whatever a pop?

Anyone here call shinnanigans on them? Or on the flip side, anyone swear by them?

Replies

• LiZzie1917
    Options
    Check the calories and carbs and decide if it is worth the trade for a good meal. I can't have grains on Paleo so, they are a no no for me.
  • Tilran
    Options
    Bump.

As far as the nutrition info they are:

Calorie: 270 (70 from fat)
    Fat: 8g (5g Saturated)
    Sodium: 240mg
    Carb: 30g (4g Fiber)
    Protein: 20g

A whole bunch of vitamins and minerals most in the 15-30% DV range.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    One of the uses is exactly what you bought them for.

They aren' the best thing you could eat after a workout, but not the worst either.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If I eat one, I make my own.
  • Tilran
    Options

I was never visited by the Betty Crocker fairy myself, so baking is out of the question for me.

I guess I'm only worried about the insane amount of carbs in these things and the 5g of saturated fat. I mean the carbs wouldent be a problem if I ate it prior to a workout for fuel, but then I lose the post workout protein benefit right?
  • KristinaMarieOH
    Options
    I eat them as a snack {if I'm doing a good workout that day} or for a quick breakfast on the go when I have no time. I eat Clif, Perfect Zone, Luna and Lara bar's. The Kidz Clif bars are good {iced oatmeal is yummy} and I think they have a few less calories and are smaller than the regular Clif bars. :smile:
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Most of the protein in those things comes from soy, so if you don't have an issue from soy it will be a suitable quick source of protein. I can't do much soy so I keep them to a minimum. I prefer a greek yogurt smoothie with fresh spinach and fresh fruit, along with a scoop of protein powder myself! If you use plain greek chobani, a cup of that is 22 g protein, add a scoop of your favorite protein powder for an additional protein boost, then throw in some fruit for flavor and fiber. A handful of the spinach doesn't monkey with the flavor too much and adds an additional health benefit...
  • Tilran
    Options
    Most of the protein in those things comes from soy, so if you don't have an issue from soy it will be a suitable quick source of protein. I can't do much soy so I keep them to a minimum. I prefer a greek yogurt smoothie with fresh spinach and fresh fruit, along with a scoop of protein powder myself! If you use plain greek chobani, a cup of that is 22 g protein, add a scoop of your favorite protein powder for an additional protein boost, then throw in some fruit for flavor and fiber. A handful of the spinach doesn't monkey with the flavor too much and adds an additional health benefit...

Greek Yogurt is my breakfast staple, I've always thought about mixing that with pineapple and strawberrys as a smoothie with some protein powder for a huge protein kick. Never really thought about spinach for it.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    I almost always eat a Balance Bar (~200cal, 15g Protein) just prior to my workout and then end the work out with 2 scoops of whey protein powder with water. The good thing about the Balance Bar is that it has a lot of Vitamins mixed in it as well and IMHO tastes way better than most of the other bars out there.
  • Tilran
    Options
    I almost always eat a Balance Bar (~200cal, 15g Protein) just prior to my workout and then end the work out with 2 scoops of whey protein powder with water. The good thing about the Balance Bar is that it has a lot of Vitamins mixed in it as well and IMHO tastes way better than most of the other bars out there.

Are you aiming at weight loss or building muscle? It sounds with the bar before hand and the 2 scoops of whey after that you are taking in a whole bunch of Protein (not including protein from your meals). So I am assuming you are trying to bulk up and gain muscle?

I am trying to tone up and have the muscles help me burn body fat as opposed to bulking up...end goal is <10% body fat.
  • racerscottw227
    Options

Are you aiming at weight loss or building muscle? It sounds with the bar before hand and the 2 scoops of whey after that you are taking in a whole bunch of Protein (not including protein from your meals). So I am assuming you are trying to bulk up and gain muscle?

I am trying to tone up and have the muscles help me burn body fat as opposed to bulking up...end goal is <10% body fat.

I'm actually doing a bit of both. I'm 50/30/20% Pro/Carb/Fat (Inspired by P90x) and the Balance Bar gives me the energy to get through the workout and the shake acts as a good recovery drink. I'll eventually switch to 40/40/20 and scratch the protein bar and just use something more carb heavy.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    If I have a protein bar it's usually a Quest bar. Nutritionally much better than almost any other one, IMO
  • Inforthelonghaul
    Options

I was never visited by the Betty Crocker fairy myself, so baking is out of the question for me.

I guess I'm only worried about the insane amount of carbs in these things and the 5g of saturated fat. I mean the carbs wouldent be a problem if I ate it prior to a workout for fuel, but then I lose the post workout protein benefit right?