best way to start running?

Options

Replies

• speedisoverrated
    Options
    C25k +1 from me. Helped me to shift weight and go from doing no exercise at all to running a 5k race. Even if you end up not liking the routine of it, it gives you a very good idea as to how to go from nothing to running.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a smartphone, a beginners program is here http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

You don't need to buy expensive shoes in the beginning but if you start to do well and progress, get running shoes that are appropriate for your feet, foot strike (what part of your foot hits the ground first--heel, ball of foot), terrain and mileage. Starting with a mix of walking and running is a good way to strengthen your legs and feet.

Personally I'm a barefoot/minimalist shoe runner and love it in preference to typical shoes I used to wear (running mileage 6-10 km / day; 10-18 km long runs). After you learn more about running (do some reading), you will do what suits you.
  • clandic
    clandic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Intervals

there's a great guided podcast called NHS Couch 2 5K based over 8 or 10 weeks....helps you start and build I believe there are other Couch to 5K podcasts too.

I'm on week 6!:happy:
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I vote for C25K. I couldn't run down my very short driveway. Yesterday I ran 3 whole minutes straight. That may not seem like a lot to some, but I have 50 years of laziness behind me. I consider a step in the right directtion.

Beat of luck to you whichever method you choose.
  • jzsor12
    jzsor12 Posts: 69
    Options
    wear suitable attire, charge your ipod and go out there

don't push too hard though you can't run long distance in one day
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I also recommend C25K. I had never been what I consider to be a runner. The most I had ever run had probably been a couple laps during football practice.
    I picked up C25K in February of 2011 and ran my first 5k in March. While I wasn't "ready" it was something I really wanted to do.
    Since then I've finished multiple 1/2 marathons and triathlons including my first 1/2 Iron distance tri in December of last year.

Just remember to hit your local running store and get fitted for a proper pair of shoes.
    I also recommend you pick up a foam roller and/or "The Stick"
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Downloaded!

Thanks for this recommendation - definitely going to have a look at this app tonight and try it out :)

I <3 this site!

Anytime! I love it, and I can listen to my own music through it all. If you want to, a lot of sites now have C25K podcasts too with a certain genre of music already selected
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Honestly.... One foot in front of the other .... and do a little more everyday. I know that sounds stupid and simple. When I startes I litterally ran around the block. Gradually I increased it to two blocks and then 3...then a mile, then 2. Once you start to get some distance behind you start working on upping your pace. It takes time and don't get discouraged...enjoy the process.

This^^
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I did Couch to 5k. Twice. Once when I first wanted to be a runner, and again as "rehab" after a stress fracture.

I like it, but also think that "run until you need to walk, walk until you're bored" is a good way of approaching it. It's actually what I do now. I know I can run the distance, but I find the running experience more enjoyable if I allow myself to walk a little here and there.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Running is not hard... you just have to stick with it. When I started I couldn't run a minute without wanting to throw up. 2 1/2 years later I ran a marathon. I am not an expert but I have lost 130 pounds running, done 3 marathons, and 5 half marathons. So here is some stuff I learned along the way:

1) When you start running don't worry about speed, focus on being able to run for 1/4 mile or more without stopping. Once you can run 3 miles without walking then you should start worrying about speed. If you can’t talk in complete sentences when running you’re going too fast. Remember slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Too many people run as fast as they can then walk too long when starting.

2) Sign up for a race and get a friend to sign up too. This will keep you motivated to keep running.

3) Go to a running store (not foot locker or other chain store, but a running store) have them find shoes that match your gate and other needs.

4) if you have the cash a GPS watch is a great tool

5) Lots of people love the C25K program, but there are lots of programs out there. Personally I follow Hal Higdon's programs for all my races.

Lastly remember we were built to run. The crap about it being bad for your legs is crap. Being fat is bad for your leg/knees. Your legs are muscles and the stronger they are the better shape your knees will be.

Good luck, add me if you’re looking for running friends.
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    C25K supporter & success story here!

Happily on my way out the door to complete Week 6, Day 2 -- my 17th interval run with the program. I have, and will continue to recommend it to any novice runners. I didn't think I'd survive Week 1, but here I am .. and I'm so much better for it.

Whether you check this program out or not .. it's not a race. Don't go outside and see how fast you can run around the block and come home. Pace yourself. If running outside, do so where you enjoy the scenery as a nice companion.

And if you want it, don't give up.

Quite simply, the best way to be a runner is to just DO IT.

If you're anything like me, you'll learn a helluva lot about yourself while you're pounding the pavement.

Best of luck!
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    On the spectrum from "beginner" to "runner", and I am definitely much closer to beginner! But I also say check out the C25K. I am just starting week 4, though I've had the program for a long time. I stopped this when I started weight training, but I'm gradually adding it in as a supplement. I loved it because I didn't have to worry about timing myself, etc. I just ran when it dinged and walked when it dinged and did my best. I felt like the first few weeks were GREAT in easing you in (I literally had never ran a mile before in my life). But then I felt the jump between weeks 3 and 4 was a bit much and I wasn't quite able to finish week 4, day 1. I had to start walking... but no matter what I think it is a great starting place, whether you like it or not.
  • clandic
    clandic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I guess its not for everyone. I just found being told to go a certain distance/time didn't allow me to alter my self selected goals if I was bored/struggling.

Interval bursts of 30 second s run 10 second rest at much faster speeds than normal is also very very good way to get your heart fit and trains you anaerobically. I normally run at 8.5kph on treadmill but doing this i increase it .5kph every other interval and try to get up to about 12 kph ...think there's a fancy name for this...
  • flyingpurplemonkey
    flyingpurplemonkey Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the unpopular vote here, but I say just get up and go. Run as much as you can, walk when you absolutely have to, then start running when you can. Do this for either a set amount of time (maybe 10 or 15 minutes to start?) or a set path (down to the stop sign and back, whatever works for your situation). Tomorrow, do the same thing. And the day after and so forth.

This is what I did. The first day, I probably walked more than I ran. Within a week and a half, I was running the whole distance (about a mile and a half) with no breaks - not easily or quickly, but I did it . As long as you push yourself each run, you will see great improvements quickly.
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Put one foot in front of the other
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Put one foot in front of the other

And tie your shoes... trust me thats number 1 to running
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I started by walking quite a bit, then I would just run as long and as much as I felt comfortable (which wasn't much to start, I felt ridiculous). Then I tried the C25k but I would dread when it would start to tell me to run, and felt like I could keep going longer when it told me to walk. Now I'm going back to my original plan of running as long as I don't feel like I'm going fall on the ground, take a break by walking....and slowly I've been better! I can almost run an entire mile (woo!). I would probably be further if I had used the C25k consistently but honestly, i'm not a runner, i've barely ever worked out...and doing it at my own pace works for me. After I can run a whole mile without stopping, I will likely continue to use C25k.
  • danimal5867
    Options
    I've never used C25K but I do recommend just getting out there and moving. I started by doing a lot of walking and gradually added short running intervals. I recommend a GPS app for your droid or iphone. Personally I think endomondo is the best one out there. The important thing is to get moving and go a little bit farther or a little bit faster each time. This morning I logged 9 miles doing intervals of walking and running. You'll be amazed at your progress if you just keep after it.
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    ya pretty much everyone here will voche for C25k!! I LOVE it! Its my second time to do it, on week 5 this time, got to week 7 before! I LOVE IT~ Ran my first 25 mins last night/ 1.5 miles. Cant wait to increase to 2 miles tomorrow!

Cant wait to increase my distance by
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Another vote for c25k here. I did my first c25k session Feb 28th and ran my first 5k without walking on May 28th. I'm 35 years old and have NEVER run in my life, even in school I was excused from running because of severe asthma.

I have tried the "get out and run as far as you are comfortable with" thing and it left me with knee injuries every time I tried it. c25k worked really well for me and I can now run up to 4 miles...working on training for a 10k in November.