Good/bad sugar?

Options
I was looking at my diary and I noticed how much sugar I've had today, 34 grams! 20 of them came of my chobani yogurt, and the rest came from whole wheat bread and rice cakes. I was thinking that this was a lot, but I don't really know. How many grams of sugar do you guys normally eat in a day? Also, is sugar like fat as in some sugar is "good" and some is "bad". For example, is the sugar I got from my yogurt better than sugar I would get from like a poptart or something?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Well, sometimes I'm good, and sometimes I'm bad.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm usually between 80-120g, sometimes I'm as high as 200.

As far as types of sugar, it's all 4 calories per gram.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. It takes many forms (fructose, sucrose, glucose, lactose, etc) and regardless of the form it takes, to your body it is sugar.

It's up to you how you want to manage your sugar intake and sources. Some people rationalize fruit or dairy as okay, for instance. There is no recommended allowance (RDA) for sugar although MFP has a max and it can be tracked. Personally I try to keep to 24g per day max--hard to do but not impossible if you avoid certain carbs.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar so I don't know. I don't have diabetes, PCOS or any other preexisting metabolic condition so I don't see the need to.
  • BeachSlim
    Options
    Yes, sugar can be 'bad' and 'good' in a way as your body will deal with sugar from different foods differently. Have you ever been told to eat porridge instead of a sugary cereal and it will keep you fuller for longer and release energy slowly? Have you been told wholewheat is healthier than processed? Sugar can be quick or slow release into the blood steam and the way this is measured is Gi. Foods that are low Gi such as grapes and brown rice are much better to eat than high Gi goods such as rice cakes. Yogurts full of that much sugar are not good either.

The science behind it all is very interesting and helpful. I won't say it all here but if you search for a Gi diet you'll find lots.
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've never really tracked my sugar intake. Would probably be a good idea though. I just try to eat things more natural in sugar than the 6 hershey kisses I had today.

I have read a lot about good vs bad sugars. Bad being those in candy, pure sugar and in products such as whole wheat bread that turn to sugar in your body. The good being the natural kind in fruits etc. I am not quite sure I believe it all but there are many places on the intranet where they tell you not to eat certain food because they turn to sugar in your body. (orange juice being one).

Probably doesn't help much.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Im more concerned with getting in my protein. I try to get 100 to 120 grams or more a day...whatever else fits in my calories i eat.
  • Marliejos5
    Options
    I just actually noticed how I was going over my sugar allotment today. The app reports my goal is 27g per day, but I am already at 54g. The sugars that are included are from "healthy" food too, most significantly the 8oz glass of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice that had 20g. I'm going to feel confident that as long as my other number are below (like fat, cholesterol, carbs, sodium), a little extra sugar from fruits and veggies is nothing to worry about. Now, if I had 54g of sugar from a fattening piece of cheese cake, I'd be concerned :)