How do I know how many pounds I need to lose for a healthy B

Options
Currently I am at 30.9 (obese :sad: ). How do I know how many pounds I need to lose in order to be at a healthy BMI?

Any advice???

Thank you in advance!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Use the BMI caculator:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator

It will tell you what weight would be considered a healthy BMI for you.
  • vhardwick
    Options
    Multiply your current weight by 700, then divide by your height (in inches). Divide that number by your height again. For example, a 145-pound woman who stands 5'6" tall has a BMI of 23.
    145 pounds x 700 = 101,500 divided by 66 (5'6") divided by 66 = 23.
    Just put in your desired weight, follow the formula and see what your BMI would be.
    Hope that helps!!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I used the Body Mass Index calculator and it told me the range of healthy weight for my height. I picked a number above the middle of the range for my goal and later adjusted it down a few pounds after learning more about frame size and having conversations with other people. You can always readjust your goal. Right now I'm thinking of readjusting my goal down a few more pounds. :laugh:
  • danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I figured it out and now I need to reset my goal weight!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Just use the BMI to get close to your goal. At that point, there are a couple of other things you can do to fine tune your goal.

1. Body fat measurement--if you are close to your goal, a skinfold test should work fine and be cost effective.

2. The "look in the mirror and see if I like it" test.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Just use the BMI to get close to your goal. At that point, there are a couple of other things you can do to fine tune your goal.

1. Body fat measurement--if you are close to your goal, a skinfold test should work fine and be cost effective.

2. The "look in the mirror and see if I like it" test.

I like your second test. I have always been rather curvy and muscular, so I think getting down to my healthy BMI would leave me looking like a skeleton. I am still in the "obese" range and already I can feel my collar bones sticking out and my shirts hanging off my shoulder, so I don't think I will be getting anywhere near my "heathly BMI".
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Currently I am at 30.9 (obese :sad: ). How do I know how many pounds I need to lose in order to be at a healthy BMI?

Any advice???

Thank you in advance!:flowerforyou:

I am at 30.9 too! I am "almost " overweight!! I cant wait for it! lol