UK Programme on fasting

Options

Replies

• Elizadolots
    Options
    What was the name of this programme please?
  • speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    bump
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Here's the link for the iPlayer Eliza;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01lxyzc/Horizon_20122013_Eat_Fast_and_Live_Longer/
  • Tenar13
    Tenar13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you google Michael Mosley fasting it should get you both the article and the programme. But it was called Horizon: Eat, fast and live longer - I think.
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options

Can I just ask, in the hours that you do eat do you still calorie count or can you basically eat what you want to?
    I'd never heard of IF before joining MFP but it seems I've been doing it for most of my adult life without knowing it, lol!
    I hardly ever eat anything from the moment I wake until just an hour or so before I go to sleep. I drink around 5 cups of black tea with 2 sweeteners during the day though so I'm not sure if that fits in with a fast or not?

I've been doing a cut (calorie deficit) right now. So, I do count my calories still. I am 3.5 lbs away for my goal in which I will switch over to my maintenance. In my opinion, this will be the real test for IF.

I've heard a lot of other people say the same thing about not even knowing they were doing IF, because they simply did not here about it before.

You break the fast with calories. Black tea is fine. A little sweetner should be okay. Personally speaking, I always drink my coffee black. I'm not sure what the sweetner nutrition facts are but if you know, I can tell you.
  • missredk8
    Options
    Horizon - 2012-2013
    - 3. Eat, Fast and Live Longer its on i Player
  • mirandamayhem
    Options

Here's the link for the iPlayer Eliza;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01lxyzc/Horizon_20122013_Eat_Fast_and_Live_Longer/

Thanks for this, listening as I browse the forums
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI to anyone who is interested...

MFP has a group on here called Intermittent Fasting. There are different styles of IF too. The one I do is called lean gains. It's where you fast for 16 hours and then have an 8 hour feed window.

Feel free to look up the group and check out the FAQ.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    The comment he made was that we should be meeting the recomended protein amounts but not exceeding them. However he did not say what those recommendations were... pity really. I have just upped my protein too - that said I have also seen much better results since doing that breaking a long plateau and from the look of it loosing fat rather than my newly toned muscle :-)

I also read somewhere associated with this programme that the Genesis Institute in Manchester has looked at 2 day fasting, and interestingly an allied study showed that the the same results could be had on those two days eating protein and nuts to your hearts (stomachs) content. I believe they are continuing the study, but for the life of me I can't find the reference to it. However, if it is the case that 2 days of low-carb high protein work the same as VLC, then I don't know if this is just in terms of weight-loss, cancer protection or if the end results are the same as low cal.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Protein - if people would like to watch the program again, the premise was not diet but aging. Particularly IGF-1 and growing and resting states of the body in relation to cell structure. Protein inhibits the resting state and keeps raised the production of IGF-1, which we know we take protein to grow.

The point was that fasting was altering IGF-1 markers, which then had an effect on blood sugars, which also had a positive effect on cholestrol and lowering HDL and highering LDL and that had a consequence of losing body fat and therefore weight loss.

Whilst also altering the chances of needing medication for Diabetes type II, heart disease, cancer and all the other things that go with the overeating western diet where people are becoming fatter.

Conclusion, much more research needs to be done on humans but if fasting does have these positive effects then if the Fasting protocol were popularised in the UK, the NHS would save an absolute fortune not having to medicate for obese diseases. In type II diabetes alone that is hundreds of billions forcasted over the next 30 years.

But yeah, he lost weight.
  • Coconutfrosting
    Coconutfrosting Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've just watched it on iplayer and I am thinking about giving it a go a couple of times a week for a month.
  • luluzombie
    Options
    I found it really interesting the the man who was a long term faster only ate the apple peel and not the flesh, I understand the idea behind eating the most nutritional aspect and leaving the sugar 'out''. But I couldn't stop thinking that it seemed so wasteful!
    LuLu x
  • ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Protein - if people would like to watch the program again, the premise was not diet but aging. Particularly IGF-1 and growing and resting states of the body in relation to cell structure. Protein inhibits the resting state and keeps raised the production of IGF-1, which we know we take protein to grow.

The point was that fasting was altering IGF-1 markers, which then had an effect on blood sugars, which also had a positive effect on cholestrol and lowering HDL and highering LDL and that had a consequence of losing body fat and therefore weight loss.

Whilst also altering the chances of needing medication for Diabetes type II, heart disease, cancer and all the other things that go with the overeating western diet where people are becoming fatter.

Conclusion, much more research needs to be done on humans but if fasting does have these positive effects then if the Fasting protocol were popularised in the UK, the NHS would save an absolute fortune not having to medicate for obese diseases. In type II diabetes alone that is hundreds of billions forcasted over the next 30 years.

This.

I am quite shocked that the whole programme was about Growth hormone and all anyone seemed to hear was 'weight loss'.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I was really interested in this programme too. I'm giving it a try just one day a week of 500cals to begin with then maybe up it to 2 days a week if I find it fairly easy. I'm trying it to see if it can help shift this plateau I've been stick on for 6 weeks now. All seemed too good to be true so will see if it works!
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options

This.

I am quite shocked that the whole programme was about Growth hormone and all anyone seemed to hear was 'weight loss'.

The weightloss was actually secondary in my mind - the idea of doing a marathon at 101 was more interesting to me! lol. Being active in my old age is far more important than fitting into a size 10 dress. I think weightloss is just a happy side effect :flowerforyou: I have nightmares of spending 20 - 30years stuck in a chair/bed and wishing I would die!!
  • glen_in_sydney
    glen_in_sydney Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm doing alternate day fasting. It really works. Losing wegiht hand over fist. I'm combining ti with low GI diet. The most amazing thing!!
  • mirandamayhem
    Options

This.

The weightloss was actually secondary in my mind - the idea of doing a marathon at 101 was more interesting to me! lol. Being active in my old age is far more important than fitting into a size 10 dress. I think weightloss is just a happy side effect :flowerforyou: I have nightmares of spending 20 - 30years stuck in a chair/bed and wishing I would die!!

Yes I'm looking at it with longevity in mind. Not going to start fasting yet though!
  • skidmerc
    Options
    Loved the show last night.
    Going to give the 5:2 a go for 4 weeks and see how it goes.

I am choosing Tuesday and Wednesday as my "fast" days - both quiet days, rarely have anything on, so should be doable.
    I will take in 500 or 600 calories on those days.

The other 5 will eat "normally", but be conscious of not over-eating, and generally be sensible.

Will log it all on here, so will plot how well it works.
  • Tenar13
    Tenar13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

This.

I was more interested in the health benefits than the weight loss - tbh the idea of reducing cancer and heart disease risk is the interesting bit! I like the idea of having a long healthy life! However the key for me is that life is for living so enjoying life is vital too!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'm toying with the idea of trying it on Tuesdays & Fridays, but I do love food so much!! :ohwell: