did you notice any physical changes with yoga?

Options
I am thinking about doing yoga...i am pretty muscular and i was wondering if yoga would change my shape or elongate my muscles. Does anyone know? I do zumba, lift wieghts and the crossfit and rowing machines but would love more flexibility also...

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Yoga won't elongate your muscles - it's not possible. I do a lot of yoga but haven't noticed it changing my shape at all. It has improved my flexibility a lot though.
  • tibeck01
    tibeck01 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The biggest benefits I have seen from yoga are stronger arms and flexability. I usually run every other day alternated with yoga. If I miss a yoga session, my run suffers because the yoga works the kinks out of my muscles.
  • goldilocks509
    goldilocks509 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    so it should help with my very sore shins i get from zumba? and my sciatic nerve too probably? that seems like i need to do it then!
    The biggest benefits I have seen from yoga are stronger arms and flexability. I usually run every other day alternated with yoga. If I miss a yoga session, my run suffers because the yoga works the kinks out of my muscles.
  • goldilocks509
    Options
    well crap, i was hoping it would change the shape of my muscles...lol
    Yoga won't elongate your muscles - it's not possible. I do a lot of yoga but haven't noticed it changing my shape at all. It has improved my flexibility a lot though.
  • tibeck01
    tibeck01 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It COULD help. There are different types of Yoga. Find the one that fits your needs. And do standing shin stretches...they helped me when I started running and could barely walk the next day lol.
    so it should help with my very sore shins i get from zumba? and my sciatic nerve too probably? that seems like i need to do it then!
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I *feel* taller, more balanced, more graceful and more centered in my body.

It hasn't been long since I re-started yoga, but I can already feel my arms strengthening. Pilates does wonders for the abs and thighs, yoga hasn't really had as noticeable effect (so far).

Definitely try it, whether it reshapes your body or not I suspect you'll enjoy it.
  • goldilocks509
    Options
    oh maybe itt would help with my clumsiness! haha I am thinking of doing that DDP yoga!

It hasn't been long since I re-started yoga, but I can already feel my arms strengthening. Pilates does wonders for the abs and thighs, yoga hasn't really had as noticeable effect (so far).

Definitely try it, whether it reshapes your body or not I suspect you'll enjoy it.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I noticed a lot more flexibility and getting myself into the habit of holding my abs tight more often (which is good for posture, etc).

Also a mental/psychological change - sticking with things more even when they are hard/uncomfortable.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    ^^^THIS.
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I noticed better posture and I lost inches in my waist. I couldn't see the inches but my tape measure could :-) :-)
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    It is well worth doing. It doesn't change the shape of your muscles but depending on the type it can firm you like any other muscle exercise. The increase in flexibility and balance will probably help prevent injuries when doing other things. I usually do hatha or vinyasa flow. I find both very soothing mentally and it also works all the kinks out from other exercises and stress. I have even done restore which is not strenuous but will sure stretch you out and is so relaxing.
  • willia123
    willia123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    it.has.changed.my.life.

If it did NOTHING for my body I would be shouting from the rooftops to GO FOR IT! That said, it has completely changed my body. I know that not all classes are created equal. I tried a few places before finding my studio. It is the most challenging and satisfying workout I have ever done. Easily.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Ok, so yoga has totally transformed my body, head to toe. I lost 35 pounds before I started practicing and another 15 after I started... but that was also partially major diet changes as well. I'm at my goal weight now and yoga really helps me to tone. My muscles are long and lean and I notice the difference mostly in my arms, shoulders, back, and thighs. My stomach is gradually toning up. Anyone who knew me before my little transformation can't believe my body now... I haven't been this toned since high school when I swam competitively. And actually, I didn't look like this when I was 16 either. I'm not perfect, but I'm so happy.

I highly recommend it... there are three billion kinds out there so you're bound to find one you love. You can't beat the flexibility you get or the peace of mind. The balance is a nice side effect as well. I personally practice Ashtanga yoga for about 60 - 90 minutes a day, 5 - 6 days a week. (That's the only exercise I do, besides walking.) However, if you are looking for a good calorie burn and muscle strength, choose a "vinyasa" style of yoga... linking breath to movement. You're never still very long and you will sweat like crazy. Work those chatarungas, baby! :)
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    it.has.changed.my.life.

If it did NOTHING for my body I would be shouting from the rooftops to GO FOR IT! That said, it has completely changed my body. I know that not all classes are created equal. I tried a few places before finding my studio. It is the most challenging and satisfying workout I have ever done. Easily.

Right there with you, Willa! Changed my life. First activity that is physical that I have ever enjoyed besides swimming.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Try it and see. :)

http://youtu.be/5zw0ji80bM4
  • willia123
    willia123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    it.has.changed.my.life.

Right there with you, Willa! Changed my life. First activity that is physical that I have ever enjoyed besides swimming.

same!! I swim, too ;) I have never been this happy. I could literally cry thinking about what it has done for me!
  • Meraid
    Meraid Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Whenever I used to do yoga in school, I hated it because I didn't find it relaxing in the slightest :( I couldn't hold any positions and had a hard time with in. I'm naturally flexible and I dance. I wish I enjoyed it but endorphins refuse to be released even at the mention of yoga.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    Another yoga lover here. I lost almost 20 lbs and really firmed up with yoga. A lot of people don't realize that there are many different yoga styles and that, in addition to gaining flexibility, yoga can also be a great strength and/or cardio workout. And then there's the stress relief. There are so many benefits that yoga offers. Love, love, love it.
  • Pgarcia413
    Options
    Everyone pretty much covered the benefits here but I wanted to stress as another has to find the right teacher and/or studio for you. Just like finding a dentist or doctor or therapist. You can try out more than one until you find one you resonate with and than you will enjoy it more. I practiced for years in my living room to my TV teacher. I tried studios but I thought I just didn't want to be with other people and preferred solo practice. But than I went to his live class and I was amazed. It really is the teacher that can make or break our experiences (even in the same style). I had trouble finding another teacher (since he is actually 3000 miles away) and I studio hopped. I finally found someone I enjoy as much as my other teacher and he's local. If only he taught more than once a week. :(

So it can be quite a journey finding the right teacher. But also you can do solo practice which I am known to do in the park. Sometimes following along to my yoga app on my android.