Gained weight

Options

Replies

• Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Actually, there was a double blind study done re the 500 calories per meal limit. It was referred to in an article in Prevention or some like magazine just this past year. If your metabolism hasn't slowed, good for you. But, for many of us, it has & these are tips from studies that will help boost it. The water info came from a doctor at a health seminar who was highly involved in weight loss studies. All of the info I posted came from like sources. If you don't need it, don't follow it. Why don't you try providing suggestions to help these folks if you think you are so knowledgeable? I was under the apparently mistaken impression that we are on here to help each other. Last time I will bother. Congrats.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I realize that your intent was to be helpful, but so much is this is just pure myth.

1. Not true
    2. Also not true
    3. Has been disproven over and over
    4. It is irrelevant when calories are consumed. It's total cals, not time frame.
    5. Water is good. You can tell if you're consuming enough by the color of your urine. If it's clear to pale yellow, you're good. If it's darker, then you should up your intake. Some supplements and meds can affect this though, so for sure try to consume the standard 64 oz :)

Like all topics, there are ton of myths out there. Part of being here and doing research was to try and read what was true, as opposed to what people just repeat because they've 'heard' it or seen it posted.

Good luck
    [/quote]

^^ this wasn't rude at all, and the point of the forums is to share knowledge and be helpful which is exactly what she was doing.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    All of the info I posted came from like sources.

you mention that all your suggestions come from "studies" and "research". Perhaps you can post links to the studies, as I've also read studies and research that contradict what you've said.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Actually, there was a double blind study done re the 500 calories per meal limit. It was referred to in an article in Prevention or some like magazine just this past year. If your metabolism hasn't slowed, good for you. But, for many of us, it has & these are tips from studies that will help boost it. The water info came from a doctor at a health seminar who was highly involved in weight loss studies. All of the info I posted came from like sources. If you don't need it, don't follow it. Why don't you try providing suggestions to help these folks if you think you are so knowledgeable? I was under the apparently mistaken impression that we are on here to help each other. Last time I will bother. Congrats.

It's one thing to say that there are studies, quite another to cite your sources. If you do the latter, you're less likely to run into problems with skeptics. People find different ways to eat that help them stay on track - eat frequently, eat infrequently, IF, low carb,, low fat, vegan, whatever. At the end of the day, what matters is that one finds a reasonably healthy way of eating that helps them stay within their calorie goals.

As for me, my metabolism HAS slowed down significantly. But, calories in, calories out still holds true.
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    It's one thing to say that there are studies, quite another to cite your sources. If you do the latter, you're less likely to run into problems with skeptics. People find different ways to eat that help them stay on track - eat frequently, eat infrequently, IF, low carb,, low fat, vegan, whatever. At the end of the day, what matters is that one finds a reasonably healthy way of eating that helps them stay within their calorie goals.

I did refer to some specific quotes from one of the guys who did calorie/metabolism study. I included specific studies re raspberry ketones. I referred to Dr. Oz show. None of the critics on here has cited anything. I would note that this is a sharing forum, not a research thesis. I read health-related articles every week all year long. I don't keep them all, but I keep the useful knowledge. So, I don't always have the issue & cite for which Prevention it was in. ***But,*** I notice the critics posted nothing but rude comments like "Dr. Oz lawl". Where are your sources or are you just determined to run off people & discourage them from posting ans sharing? Why?

I have referred to where I learned it & that it has worked for me personally very well. Why would you want to deter sharing potentially helpful info like that? *shakes my head*
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    This page lists references in relation to why Breakfast generally isn't nearly as important as it's made out to be:
    http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/what-kind-of-breakfast-is-best-for-weight-loss.aspx
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    Dr. Reza Yavari author of It Must Be My Metabolism cited in Woman's World 10/3/06 says to eat breakfast because "It jumpstarts your metabolism in the morning-- and skipping it can actually slow your metabolism to a crawl." But again, I am neither writing nor defending a doctoral thesis. I am just sharing tips I have learned that worked when I tried them.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Do we know what this Dr is basing what she is saying on?
    The 'kickstart your metabolism' is generally accepted as a myth now, as far as I know - it was accepted reality a few years ago.

It's certainly worth trying I'm sure.
    However, for me it's more likely to lead to weight gain rather than weight loss in my experience.

I find myself hungry again at about the time I'd first be hungry, but I've already eaten a meal.

As I'm doing a fair bit of heavy lifting and the like (move car parts from one unit to another) at the moment, I have been trying to have some protein-rich food early on hopefully ensure my muscles grow as much as reasonable. However, failed to find out my old protein powder unfortunately :(.
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    Do we know what this Dr is basing what she is saying on?
    The 'kickstart your metabolism' is generally accepted as a myth now, as far as I know - it was accepted reality a few years ago.

It's certainly worth trying I'm sure.
    I don't know, but Dr. Oz just said the same on his show within the last 2 weeks. And here's an article from just last year citing sources such as the Mayo Clinic http://www.livestrong.com/article/448655-does-breakfast-increase-metabolism/
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic article says nothing about "kicki starting" your metabolism. The other 2 sources cited by Livestrong do not cite any sources of the information.
    Question
    Breakfast: How does it help weight control?
    Why does eating a healthy breakfast help control weight?
    Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Here are some of the ways that regularly eating a healthy breakfast may help you lose excess weight and maintain your weight loss:

Reduced hunger. Eating breakfast may reduce your hunger later in the day, which may make it easier to avoid overeating. When you skip breakfast, you may feel ravenous later and be tempted to reach for a quick fix — such as vending machine candy or doughnuts at the office. In addition, the prolonged fasting that occurs when you skip breakfast can increase your body's insulin response, which in turn increases fat storage and weight gain. In fact, skipping breakfast actually increases your risk of obesity.
    Healthy choices. Eating breakfast may get you on track to make healthy choices all day. When you eat breakfast, you tend to eat a healthier overall diet, one that is more nutritious and lower in fat. When you skip breakfast, you're more likely to skip fruits and vegetables the rest of the day, too.
    More energy. Eating breakfast may give you energy, increasing your physical activity during the day. A healthy breakfast refuels your body and replenishes the glycogen stores that supply your muscles with immediate energy. Skipping breakfast is associated with decreased physical activity.

So, if you skip breakfast — whether you're trying to save time or cut calories — you may want to reconsider, especially if you're trying to control your weight.

FYI - Prior references will appear as at the bottom of the Mayo Clinic article. If you don't see prior source citation like this, don't believe it. Find another article with sources.
    References

Wyatt HR, et al. Long-term weight loss and breakfast in subjects in the National Weight Control Registry. Obesity Research. 2002;10:78.
    Purslow LR, et al. Energy intake at breakfast and weight change: Prospective study of 6,764 middle-aged men and women. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2008;167:188.
    Greenwood JL, et al. Preventing or improving obesity by addressing specific eating patterns. Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine. 2008;21:135.
    Kant AK, et al. Association of breakfast energy density with diet quality and body mass index in American adults: National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys, 1999-2004. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2008;88:1396.
    Gibson SA, et al. What's for breakfast? Nutritional implications of breakfast habits: Insights from the NDNS dietary records. Nutrition Bulletin. 2011;36:78.
    Ashwell M. An examination of the relationship between breakfast, weight and shape. British Journal of Nursing. 2010;19:1155.
    Zeratsky KA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 28, 2011.

Please stop citing Dr. Oz as a source, he is not a peer reviewed source. His degree is in cardiothoracic surgery, not in nutrition or fitness. Also the disclosure for his site and TV show clearly state "entertainment purposes only ". He provides no peer reviewed sources for his information like the above.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Please stop citing Dr. Oz as a source
    Yup. Not a good source of info.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and eat 2000+ calorie meals after 7 pm regularly. The only time I gain weight is when I eat more total calories than I burn.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    This is by no means exhaustive.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11319656
    http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=873508
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20339363

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17909674 ( I put this one in there because this is a somewhat extreme case of eating at night)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3508745
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/02/060202080832.htm (not a primary source, but still)

und so weiter.

There IS plenty of evidence that eating breakfast helps with satiety and may reduce overall calories consumed, but it does not have any magical properties that jumpstarts metabolism.

As for Oz, this will get you started:
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/a-seal-of-approval/#more-18092
    http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2012/04/04/dr-oz-promotes-quackeryagain/
  • automega
    automega Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that Doberdawn is providing what is expected and asked for here . . . experience-based results and methods that work for her. Her critics seem to think they are expert accredited dietitians and nutritionists (without providing their credentials). The problem with even credentialed "experts" is that there is really no such thing yet. The field is still largely in ignorance about how the body's metabolic rate is affected and why it differs so radically across individuals. If they had the answers . . . we would already have the products necessary to control metabolism. Since there is such wide diversity in individual response to diet and exercise, it seems more useful that people post what is working for them, period. Criticizing these reports is counterproductive and ego-driven by hubris and vanity. No one can judge what has worked for another. Those who think they are experts and critics of these self-reports need a strong dose of reality and humility. You have no business criticizing or mocking what has worked for another. Either try it and see if it works for you as well . . . or shut up, IMO..
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    1. If you are 40+, it is important NEVER to eat more than 500 calories at any sitting. Your metabolism will burn faster (like someone in 20s) if you follow this. There was a study I read.
    Urban legend
    2. When you get up in the morning, eat something, ANYTHING, as soon as you are awake. A cracker, a peanut, ANYTHING. This will turn ON your metabolism for the day. The sooner you eat, the sooner it starts.
    Totally false. Your metabolism runs even when you sleep. I still breathe and have a heart beat and brain function while sleeping. All that demands fuel.
    3. Eat every 2 to 3 hours all day (have healthy snacks with you like pumpkin seeds or vegetable chips). Breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner. This keeps your metabolism turned on and running all day.
    I think this method is generally good for controlling your appetite but it probably has little to nothing to do with calories burned during the day.
    4. Do NOT eat after 6:30 to 7:00 p.m. at the latest.
    I easily eat 500 - 1000 calories after 7 and I still manage to lose weight easily.
    5. You MUST drink enough water for all of your bodily functions PLUS enough to process the fat you burn off. If you diet or work out enough to lose fat,
    Drinking plenty of water is always a good idea. Nothing to disagree with there.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I realize that your intent was to be helpful, but so much is this is just pure myth.

1. Not true
    2. Also not true
    4. It is irrelevant when calories are consumed. It's total cals, not time frame.
    5. Water is good. You can tell if you're consuming enough by the color of your urine. If it's clear to pale yellow, you're good. If it's darker, then you should up your intake. Some supplements and meds can affect this though, so for sure try to consume the standard 64 oz :)

Like all topics, there are ton of myths out there. Part of being here and doing research was to try and read what was true, as opposed to what people just repeat because they've 'heard' it or seen it posted.

Good luck

^^ this wasn't rude at all, and the point of the forums is to share knowledge and be helpful which is exactly what she was doing.
    Agreed. That response was not rude at all. I actually found it to be more civilized than most when the terms "Dr. Oz" and "jump start your metabolism" are posted.

If that list helps you lose weight, then great! But it doesn't mean you're losing weight because you follow those rules. You lose weight by consuming less than you burn. I regularly break rules 2, 3 and 4 and have had no problems.
  • automega
    Options
    1. If you are 40+, it is important NEVER to eat more than 500 calories at any sitting. Your metabolism will burn faster (like someone in 20s) if you follow this. There was a study I read.
    Urban legend
    2. When you get up in the morning, eat something, ANYTHING, as soon as you are awake. A cracker, a peanut, ANYTHING. This will turn ON your metabolism for the day. The sooner you eat, the sooner it starts.
    Totally false. Your metabolism runs even when you sleep. I still breathe and have a heart beat and brain function while sleeping. All that demands fuel.
    3. Eat every 2 to 3 hours all day (have healthy snacks with you like pumpkin seeds or vegetable chips). Breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner. This keeps your metabolism turned on and running all day.
    I think this method is generally good for controlling your appetite but it probably has little to nothing to do with calories burned during the day.
    4. Do NOT eat after 6:30 to 7:00 p.m. at the latest.
    I easily eat 500 - 1000 calories after 7 and I still manage to lose weight easily.
    5. You MUST drink enough water for all of your bodily functions PLUS enough to process the fat you burn off. If you diet or work out enough to lose fat,
    Drinking plenty of water is always a good idea. Nothing to disagree with there.
    Another unidentified expert speaks AS IF there were absolute truths about metabolism that apply across ALL individuals. Report what works for you instead of puffing yourself up as some expert authorized to criticize what has worked for someone else! The field of diet and exercise is rampant with BS posing as authoritative information. I am more interested in what has worked for others in the hope that I will find something that will similarly work for ME. There simply are too many individual differences across human bodies that ti seems like the only smart way to find what might work for you, IMO. All you ego-driven "experts" need to get a life and work on finding what works for you and telling us about it. I don't want people driven away (as Doberdawn has probably been) with their results and methods because of egotistical self-appointed experts mocking or criticizing their reports.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

1. Not true
    2. Also not true

Good luck

Actually, I *have* done my research and these were all learned from various scientific studies and input from doctors. And, I have STEADILY lost 2 pounds per week EVERY week following them. My friends who were stalled and tried this also lost weight. You can look for and find the studies. You can even find much of this information repeated on Dr. Oz.

And I've lost 119 pounds doing the opposite of those "studies." I eat heavy meals, I eat after 8 pm every night.... and I still lose weight.

Everyone is diffeernt and what works for you may not work for anyone else.

And congrats on your weight loss! :flowerforyou:
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Another unidentified expert speaks AS IF there were absolute truths about metabolism that apply across ALL individuals.

Have you read anything on Intermittent Fasting? This is proven to work in clinical studies and it pretty much blows every point mentioned out of the water. Is this the end all or perfect solution? No. This is just advice but as always....

Do whatever the @$*%@ you want to do.

http://youtu.be/03gjSG8md7s

I am more interested in what has worked for others in the hope that I will find something that will similarly work for ME.
    31 pounds gone this year. *poof*

Eating after 7 doesn't affect my weight loss. Skipping breakfast doesn't affect my weight loss. Eating large meals over 1,000 calories does't affect my weight loss. I'll be 41 years old later this month. This isn't some newb advice for 20 somethings.
  • automega
    Options
    I wish Doberdawn would return. I have a question for her. I got the impression that her system was predicated on the idea of a totally sedentary couch potato lifestyle and then is adjusted by the level of exercise and activity that is actually engaged in during the day. If anyone else knows if that is true or not, I would appreciate an answer. Please try not to drive any other people away from here with your authoritative BS and mocking!! I need serious help.