Clothing suggestions... help, nothing fits me!

Options
2»

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have NO pants. I am a teacher. School starts next week and I have zero long pants that fit me. I have lost 45 pounds, and have gone from an 18 to something between a 10 and 12...

I am uncomfortable in my own body- weird. You would think I would be happy, but I am used to baggy clothes and am kind of miserable trying to find things that fit right.

I tried to go shopping a few days ago, looking for slacks that would be work appropriate. Nothing fits right! I have short legs, but am not "petite". 10 regulars fit in the hips, waist, etc., but are about 4 inches too long. Petites are too tight in the waist and hips, even a size 12. It was a complete disaster. I found 1 pair of pants that fit.

I guess I will have to have clothing altered. Has anyone else had clothing struggles? Any suggestions? Ugh. I hate shopping!

Thanks- I appreciate any suggestions. Brands that might fit well, etc.

Julie

story of my life. I have to wear judo pants to work out in 'cause regular workout pants, or even yoga pants are miles too long. I had one pair of yoga pants, and I had to cut 8 inches off to make them mid-calf length!

It is a rare occurrence for me to find jeans that don't need to be rolled up--sometimes even petite jeans have to be rolled once!
  • velloxal
    velloxal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am opposite I have long legs.:bigsmile:

Target, KMart and Millers have 3 pants sizes - long fit, medium fit and short fit,:bigsmile: you will have to check it on the price tag.
    You should ask other shops as well about those pants sizes.

Good luck:happy:
  • Julie7741
    Julie7741 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone...
    Several great ideas :)

My Grandma called tonight and said she has a 30% off at Kohl's... Dockers have always fit well before. So, I'm hoping for some luck there. If not, I'm going to buy some 10 regulars and have them hemmed. I've got 15 lbs to go, so I'm hoping I might not lose a whole lot more from my legs and behind. I've been doing lots of cycling, and have built up some muscle in my legs. So, I'm thinking my pants size might not change much more. I don't care what size I end up- I'll be glad to quit buying clothes. I hate pants shopping. The only thing worse is swimwear :)
  • kmb7923
    kmb7923 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am short and have found that Ann Taylor petite sizes tend to run a little larger than most other brands. I can usually buy just one size larger in Petites than in their regular sizes.
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about: sizes.darkgreener.com? Bust, waist and hip measurements return sizes for some popular stores.
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Oops. My response (sizes.darkgreener.com) was for this:
    One time I saw an article that referenced a website where you could put in your measurements and it would tell you what size would fit you depending on the brand. Problem is I have looked for it since and can't find it. Anyone? I need to do some shopping soon too!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Most dry cleaners shops do shortening of pants for about $10 or less.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    getting your pant tailored at a dry cleaners is so cheap and easy it's ridiculous.

just go try on some pants that fit and buy them try them on with the type shoes you'd wear and use a piece of tape, or pin or staple the location where you need the pants hemmed. take them to a dry cleaner and pick up after a few days. you can get several pants done for relatively cheap
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hem tape...the fusible type that you apply with an iron is easy and holds up well. I use it all the time.

This, this and this again. If you're new to hemming this stuff is super forgiving, you can wet and heat it again to remove it. Also using hair straighteners instead of an iron when its on a short seam like a sleeve or trouser leg is much easier.
  • misslou7
    misslou7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Do what I do - skirts, tights and boots. I'm an hourglass shape so standard sizes never fit me properly and skirts are much more flattering on my thighs :smile:
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Thrift and consignment stores are my best friend. I haven't had anything hemmed (I'm 5'6"), but it IS fairly inexpensive and I would rather buy a pair of jeans that fit really nicely in the waist and hips and have it altered than stress about finding a pair that isn't too long. I also agree with the maxi dresses and cardigans! Very cute and work appropriate!
  • aniahill
    aniahill Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Not offering any actual advice, but you might find this interesting though it is UK focused

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/feb/14/highstreet-clothes-size-chart