Same Boat Something New

Options
Hello
I'm looking for some support and help being held accountable. I also don't want to spend money on a diet plan, I'd rather spend it on new clothes or better food, or maybe a gym membership! I used to be able to drop weight with cutting back on carbs and wine and moving more but now it seems it takes much more moving and a lot less food. I'm a teacher and doing real estate too, newly single and alone for the first time ever! I enjoy walking, golf, fishing and will be doing snowshoeing this winter. I also love gardening! My two granddaughters 18 months and almost 5 yrs, my three wonderful kids (all grown and out on their own yeah!) I live in the Everett area, WA state.

Replies

• chewuchick
    Options
    Hello
    I'm looking for some support and help being held accountable. I also don't want to spend money on a diet plan, I'd rather spend it on new clothes or better food, or maybe a gym membership! I used to be able to drop weight with cutting back on carbs and wine and moving more but now it seems it takes much more moving and a lot less food. I'm a teacher and doing real estate too, newly single and alone for the first time ever! I enjoy walking, golf, fishing and will be doing snowshoeing this winter. I also love gardening! My two granddaughters 18 months and almost 5 yrs, my three wonderful kids (all grown and out on their own yeah!) I live in the Everett area, WA state.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Good for you. You can do it and we are all working toward the same thing. There seems to be alot of new people from WA lately. I am in Oregon myself.

Keep things up and don't give up. I know the first weeks of school can be nuts but keep your energy up and stay motivated.

Eve
  • gtdavis
    Options
    I have found that the food diary is a very good gage on the amount of carbs, fat, and protein to eat each day. If they all zero out when you have eaten your caloric limit you are on the right track. I have not found it wise to cut out carbs. except alcohol, they are 100% empty calories. I eat lots of brown rice and steamed vegetables and always have at least 1 or 2 apples a day. They are high in fiber and fiber in carbs is a weight loss charm. Also have you heard of dumping the three whites? Flour, Sugar, and Salt. Some people say milk also but I like the calcium in 1% milk. I eat Trader Joe's flourless sprouted grain bread, it is delicious when you toast it. Since I quit wheat flour my joints don't hurt so bad. I still eat stone ground whole wheat tortillas but no enriched flour. So enough of my theories. I hope you have success with you eating plan and enjoy good health for many years.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Interesting gtdavis I have been doing some similiar things however I have not taken flour completely out. I am very careful of corn products specially corn syrup. Also I do not do any barley which is in alot of flours. These are mostly because of allergies but I have found that it helps me feel better having taken those out of my diet.

Eve
    jltwedell@msn.com
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Hello chewuchick!

Welcome - I live very close to you! I'm leaving in a few hours for a few days and I'll be back Saturday.

I try to reach you again when I get back. Maybe we can be phone buddies.

CM
  • EHBRown28
    EHBRown28 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi chewuchick and welcome to MFP! I joined 3 weeks ago and have gone up and down on the scale since. I started out at 147 (with a goal of 130) and dropped to 141.5, but it must have been water weight or something because sadly, I was 144 this morning. (MAYBE I AM WEIGHING MYSELF TOO OFTEN?!?!?!) Anyway, the kinship on this site is great. Will power, grit and determination are the only things that will work with this battle. I used to be able to eat WHATEVER (sweets, chips, margaritas, etc.) and stay at 119 lbs. After 40, I started creeping up on the scale...and I don't like it! This is my attempt at getting used to a slower, older metabolism and eat within the range of calories that my body burns TODAY (not when I was in my 20's and 30's). The very best to you. You can do it - with hard work and determination. Beth