how can i fit in time to exercise?

Options

Replies

• RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Walking counts as exercise. Google the 10 minute arm workout Cameron Diaz, and add that, and you're gtg and hot in your sleeveless shirts. Then, you're up to 30 minutes.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Make the time! If you really want it, you'll find the time. Involve your kids. That could be fun. Take them to the park and involve them in some sports. Play some b-ball, tennis, soccer, kickball...heck whatever. OR wake up a little earlier and go for a walk/run. You'll be surprised on how much energy you have afterwards. It doesn't have to be very long. OR wait until they are in bed to go for a walk.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Not to sound rude.......But if I can think of 1000 reasons why I could NOT work out. We all work long and hard, we all have kids, we all have chores to do, we all can't afford a gym, we all need to grocery shop. BLAH BLAH BLAH. Stop making excuses and JUST DO IT.

Do it in the house, at the gym, at work, ANYWHERE you can.

If you want to do something, you will find time to do it.

That was totally rude...I started this thread to get ideas! Not everyone has 3 small kids and works a full time job! I joined this website for help to become healthy, fit and happy. I appreciate everyone's input, but would appreciate it if you would keep your rude comments to yourself.

You asked for ideas. My idea is/was: Stop making EXCUSES and JUST DO IT. Have a great day.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    It's not easy. The best thing I found was Jillian's 30 Day Shred, because it was 25 minutes long, and I have a two and four year old, and I could often manage to squeeze it in before the end of the world occurred. And I had great results with it, too.

I know how it is! Feel free to add me if you want - I'm a crazy busy mom, too, and I still struggle to find time to work out.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Not to sound rude.......But if I can think of 1000 reasons why I could NOT work out. We all work long and hard, we all have kids, we all have chores to do, we all can't afford a gym, we all need to grocery shop. BLAH BLAH BLAH. Stop making excuses and JUST DO IT.

That was totally rude...I started this thread to get ideas! Not everyone has 3 small kids and works a full time job! I joined this website for help to become healthy, fit and happy. I appreciate everyone's input, but would appreciate it if you would keep your rude comments to yourself.

You asked for ideas. My idea is/was: Stop making EXCUSES and JUST DO IT. Have a great day.

Oh, and hi. You're kind of an asshat. I have two kids, work MORE than full time, and my house is perpetually a mess as it is. I would like to see you, when given the choice, reduce your 5-6 hours of sleep a night to 4-5 to get in a workout. (Plus shower, etc.) Not everyone is just making excuses. It's hard to take care of yourself, your family, your job/work obligations, AND work out when you get 4 hours of sleep (if you are lucky, because I'm not exaggerating - ask my husband).
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    Walk on your breaks. Or go up/down the stairs on your breaks. Or lunch. It's not much time. Maybe 10 min on both breaks/lunch, but that will total 30 min/day. You won't get your heart rate up, but it's a start. Plus you will get better and be able to walk faster as you get stronger. Eventually you will feel that you are important enough that you will make that appointment--and you can do 20 min at a time.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Dance with your kids. Lift them instead of weights. Step from side to side while doing the dishes. Buy a Leslie Sansone walking dvd (they're cheap) and have your kids do it with you - make it a game. Remember- all movement is good movement. If you don't have the time for a concentrated program, just increase the activity in your daily life.
  • Cindi_Rella1
    Cindi_Rella1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

It may rub you the wrong way, but I can hear Jillian Michaels saying the exact same thing, LOL! Maybe it could have been stated kinder for you, but the advice is dead on. Make time for yourself to exercise, you are worth it, your kids having a healthy mom is worth it, too :)
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

Oh, and hi. You're kind of an asshat. I have two kids, work MORE than full time, and my house is perpetually a mess as it is. I would like to see you, when given the choice, reduce your 5-6 hours of sleep a night to 4-5 to get in a workout. (Plus shower, etc.) Not everyone is just making excuses. It's hard to take care of yourself, your family, your job/work obligations, AND work out when you get 4 hours of sleep (if you are lucky, because I'm not exaggerating - ask my husband).

See, you get up and you make time to work out. Like the rest of us.
    As far as me being an *kitten* HAT. So be it. I made alot of EXCUSES for alot of years. Hence, I was 250 pounds. Once I stopped making EXCUSES and making myself accountable, I lost 73 pounds.

The OP is sitting here making posts about not being able to work out. Here is a great idea. Instead of spending an hour on here thinking of reasons NOT to work out, maybe the OP should put the computer down and do some pushups and sit ups.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    One the most important things you can do is to make whatever you do part of a routine. Ideally you'd start with a 10 minute or 20 minute workout (like 30DS). A routine is especially important if you have kids. Because once you make your exercise part of a scheduled routine, they will accept it, [and they will even remind you to do it.] Now your kids may be real little, but even so, they will recognize a routine once it is established. The hardest part is that when you set up your routine, that you don't break it. That means no stopping to get them the toy they dropped, or pausing to pick them up -- maybe the first week you set your routine, you have your husband nearby to run baby interference (see there's mommy, she's almost done, lets clap for mommy, you're okay, it's only 5 more minutes) . Perhaps this means letting them cry a little. But if they can see you, and you can see them, and they are in no danger, they will learn to wait. and ultimately it teaches them resilence, self-soothing and patience. Plus you are modeling what a healthy adult life looks like, and establishing exercise as part of your everyday life. (Although I feel uncomfortable telling anyone to just let their kids cry, and not if they are under 9mos old, On the other hand, if they are a bit older, they should be learning how to self soothe or self entertain (crayons, picturebooks, stickers) ,and how to be patient, especially if it is only for 10-20minutes)
  • caolive
    caolive Posts: 7
    Options
    ask a teenager to come with you and the kids to a park, she can help watch the kids and you can walk around the park, then when your done walking you can play games with the kids, frisbee, ball, hulahoop,hopschotch,jump rope :)
  • rmn1972
    rmn1972 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have started getting up earlier so I have time to ride my exercise bike before work. I watch the news, traffic and, even some on demand stuff to pass the time.
    I know it is difficult with small children bur I bet your family will understand you taking some time for yourself, especially when you strt to get back in shape and are able to be an even better wife and mother to them.
  • Bogie7614
    Options
    I assume you must have day care for your children. If your day care is open early enough, you can try dropping them off a bit earlier to get in some gym time. Also, some gyms have child care as well. Another idea is to get as much exercise you can at work. Park farther away and walk, take the stairs instead of the elevator. When you're as busy as you are, it just takes some creativity. Good luck!
  • jjshulou
    jjshulou Posts: 50
    Options
    So here's my report....I woke up early and went for a 15 minute walk, and I really enjoyed it! I downloaded some of my favorite music onto my phone, downloaded an app to track my speed, time, length of walk and calories burned. I found myself walking more so I could finish my favorite songs. I'm going to get another walk in tonight. Thanks for all the great ideas!!!
  • MD1978
    MD1978 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have two kids and also work full time. My hubby leaves for work at 6 am...so I am currently doing the c25k program he leaves.
  • bigf00t
    bigf00t Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What works for me is getting up before the rest of the house to get my workouts in. I get up about an hour early three days a week. Then the time doesn't take away from the rest of the family or chores that have to get done.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    So here's my report....I woke up early and went for a 15 minute walk, and I really enjoyed it! I downloaded some of my favorite music onto my phone, downloaded an app to track my speed, time, length of walk and calories burned. I found myself walking more so I could finish my favorite songs. I'm going to get another walk in tonight. Thanks for all the great ideas!!!
    Fantastic!!!! The more you do it, the more you'll love it & will continue to find other ways to incorporate more activity. Well done!
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Great job! Focus on what you can do, not what you can't do and if you fall down and miss a day or several, just pick yourself up and keep on pushing. If it was easy, everyone would do it. The fact that you workout even though it is hard, is what makes you that much stronger.

Plus, if my 4 year old can run a mile each day with 80% lung function while coughing up mucus, on top of doing 3 hours of meds, all her extra activities (swimming lessons, gymnastics, ballet, tap, hip-hop, soccer) and T-K, then everyone can fit in exercise. You just have to be stubborn and selfish enough to give your body what it needs.
  • mekutataki
    Options
    For toning I suggest yoga, Pilates, and power-band exercises. A lot of them your kids can do with you at home, the kits are maybe $20. If you have rhythm (unlike me) you can always try Zumba, I failed at it miserably, but you may enjoy it, I know my son(3 yrs old) and his friends tried to dance with all the Mommies, it was so much fun to watch! Then there is always a 40 min brisk walk with the kiddos 2-4 times a week. Hope that helps! (I speak from experience, I am a stay at home mom/army wife my hubby can be gone for months at a time and all my family lives on the other side of the US< so it's just me him and the 2 large dogs).
  • BeeGee69
    Options
    Just Dance for the Wii is a great workout and fun to do with the kids!