VICTORY IS MINE!

Options
Truly corny post but I was able to plan a nice evening out with friends that included some dessert and stayed within calories. Stressed all day but kept rehearsing my food menus for the day in my head and it really helped. Weighed in this morning with another 1.5 lbs down! Just had to share.

Replies

• DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! That is one of the best victories when you stick to something really hard (like eating out with friends) and see the results!!!

Way to go!!:drinker:

DD
  • littlebigbird
    Options
    That's absolutely brilliant. Well done!!
  • rndalsn
    rndalsn Posts: 26
    Options
    Congrats!! I find that knowing what I am going to eat before going out is a great help as well! :happy:
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Not corny at all - good for you! Good self-caretaking!:flowerforyou: And congrats on the weight loss.

I have a lunch with friends planned for Sunday, and I already checked out the restaurant's menu. I couldn't believe the calorie counts on some of the meals, especially the salads! :noway: I saw some sandwiches that were a mere 400/500 calories - still a lot, but they were the "healthy" choices. :laugh:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    And that's how you do it. Great job. :bigsmile:
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Good Job!!!!
  • klybarger
    klybarger Posts: 214
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This has really broken some of the stress for me because it really isn't hard once you get your mind and attitude right about sticking to the program. I've made the committment and there's no stopping me now! If I can just over my "gym" issues!

Kath712 - isn't is shameful the calorie counts on so much of the restaurant food! But I think even the outragous salads can be tamed when ordering (i.e., not adding certain high calorie items, choice of dressings, etc.) and we can walk away from a meal somewhat unscathed. But it really takes time to prepare. Enjoy your time on Sunday.
  • CasperO
    Options
    Now when you've been doing this for a long time it'll get really natural and easy - you'll just know what's good and what's not. I can have lunch just about anywhere and keep it under 400-500 cals.

What "gym issues"?
  • klybarger
    Options
    My gym "issues" are

1. Do not like going (at all - ever)
    2. They're stinky and germy
    3. Dislike the "social club" of the tiny, giggly stick people
    4. I would just rather be outside (I live in Florida and can comfortably be outside year round)

My intention is not to offend anyone - these are the things that have been imprinted (inappropriately I'm sure) on my little brain. I'm positive that, just like eating out, I will overcome these issues.

There are just so many silly issues (and habits) in my life - battling one at a time. Baby steps....
  • jovigal1959
    Options
    The gym issues are valid! I know I caught many colds from there...

It is also difficult to watch people workout incorrectly....or on the treadmill talking on their cell phones, which is prohibited but not enforced.

I finally just put my own gym in my basement.
  • klybarger
    Options
    Are there any outdoor exercise substitutions for gym machines? Like could kayaking take the place of an arm/upper body piece of equipment or Roller/Ice Skating for leg machines. I think I'd rather pick up inreasingly heavy rocks and move them from one place to another than go to a gym.
  • CasperO
    Options
    There's tons'a stuff to do outside that's just as good as gym work. Another alternative if you have room is just to set up your own li'l gym. Time is tough for us. We both work, have pretty good commutes, and we have dogs.

You set up your own gym pretty cheap thru Craigslist. Most people buy this stuff with high hopes, then they find out it's hard (well ya',,, it's exercise, it's supposed to be hard! ). So the thing sits around for a year, and then they get tired of looking at it, and they list it on Craigslist. Good as new, for cheap.

Our gym

Treadmill - friend of a friend needed rid of, $25
    Elliptical - Wallyworld, $300 (worth every penny, love that thing).
    Gazelle glider - Craigslist, $30
    Dip tower - Craigslist, $50
    Incline bench - Wallyworld, $70
    Dumbbells + about 100 lbs of iron,,, already had some, bought plates here & there as needed (and need more now ). Cost is about $.80 a pound - better if you can find used. There's no such thing as "used" iron. What's it gonna do - stop being heavy? Hehehe,,,

We also have some floor space open, and an old TV and our Wii and a DVD player and do 30shred in there. I plan to start P90X in about a month.

So what's that, $500-ish? - spread out over about a year, not bad. We've go options,,, :tongue:
  • klybarger
    Options
    My home is teeny tiny so personal gym will have to wait until the 2 youngin's are out of the house (hopefully very soon). It would be nice to have the flexibility of working out any time. Also, having the equipment lingering around taunting me when I try not to workout! But I'm sure my own gym will still be stinky and germy, but it will be mine :) - somehow that's different (?)

Thanks for getting me thinking about designing a workout room!
  • CasperO
    Options
    I use towels, mop up any sweat, hit it with a clorox wipe if it gets foul. No need for a gym to stink.

All you really need is some room for ab work/calisthenics/DVD workouts or something, a bench and some dumbbells for strength training, and a road and a bicycle for cardio. Doesn't have to be a big deal.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!