help

Options
okay so i quit logging but have pretty much kept counting and remained the same weight about 135lbs which take a few lbs has pretty much been my goal. so this week out of the blue i decide im done smoking again (ive quit about 20 times and re started again). so here i am again! ive worked so hard to lose 55lbs i refuse to gain weight from quiting smoking i fugure if i log everything i eat again then theres no way i will gain right? if anyone has any advise i would really appriciate it thank you in advance have a wonderfull day!!!!!!

Replies

• mrsdovin
    Options
    I have had similiar struggles with quitting smoking, etc.

I'd say one thing that helps me A LOT is water, and drinking LOT'S of it.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking has at least 3 ways to make you fatter.

1 - nicotine is a stimulant, it makes your heart pound and your body race and makes you burn more calories. You actually need to either eat less or exercise more just to maintain your weight after you quit.

2 - You're in the habit of sticking things in your mouth. Many people drop the cigs and pick up snacks. Beware,,,

3 - Oh wow does everything taste good when your taste buds work properly!

Add in fretful eating from a little nervousness or depression from missing the smokes and it's just really hard to not gain weight. I quit a couple years ago and put on 25 pounds - which is how I wound up here. All in all it's worth it, even if you do gain a little weight. The health benefits of quitting smoking are huge.

You can do it. Diet and exercise... we're here to help. :bigsmile:
  • mrsdovin
    Options
    I did gain significant weight when I quit (the first time) smoking. Trying to placate the oral fixation is the hardest thing.. that's why I try to drink water instead of "snacking" etc.

He makes extremely valid, and true points! (much better said than I could have)

Support helps tremendously, so yes, remember you have people here to help! :)
  • halfacerk
    Options
    thanks so much!!!! that last post scared me a little!!!! the last time i quit i started WW and didnt gain a lbs so i hope i have the same luck this time.....but im so scared......im ganna be chewing a lot of gum!!!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Luck has nothing to do with it, and there's nothing to be scared of. You can do this. It's just a matter of choices. If you choose to sit around crying for your Marlboros and scarfing deep fried cheese, you'll get fat. If you choose to handle your smoky moods and cravings well, drink tons of water, chew gum, take a walk once in a while and just generally take care of yourself, then you'll maintain or lose weight.

It's really quite simple (not always easy - but simple :smile: ). You're an adult, nobody's gonna wrestle you down and stuff donuts in your mouth. Choose what you want to do, and do it.

You can do it - I just know you can, and we really are here to help.
  • halfacerk
    Options
    lol im ganna print that and tape it on my fridge thats great i love it "stuff donuts in your mouth" lol
    THANKS!!!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking, started logging food and working out, and lost 13 pounds. It can be done!! You can do it!