Bicep curl differences

Options
I was at the gym today, and on the Dumb Bell exercise chart, there were "Concentration Curls" and "Standing Bicep Curls", both targeting the same muscles.

Why did I find the Concentration Curls more difficult than the SBC?

Was it because I was sitting rather than standing? No difference in weights that I used, but I could only do 3x8 doing the CC (I could do 3x10 of SBC).

I'm still new to lifting weights, NROL4W is in the mail, hope to get it later this week. I hate cardio and have started integrating more weights to my gym routine.

But cardio helped me lose 50+lbs so it is effective, but with another 50 to go, I can't see me running/walking like a hamster on the treadmill wheel of life indefinitely!

Replies

• melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Likely because CC's make it impossible to use any other muscles to help with the movement. You are stablizing the rest of your body so all the effort must only come from your biceps
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    different exercizes work the mucles in different ways, something as simple as lifting your elbow during a row can make the move 100x harder even though it working the same muscle. it's good though to work muscles from as many different angle/positions as possible.
  • Lefty634
    Lefty634 Posts: 56
    Options
    CC wil work the biceps alone it is an isolation move yes you will need to use lighter weight to get the same numbers of reps. BUT the work
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Likely because CC's make it impossible to use any other muscles to help with the movement. You are stablizing the rest of your body so all the effort must only come from your biceps

Basically this.

The shoulders, etc. can't help you cheat. No arching the back or swinging the weight.
  • Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The position of your arm is also different. It faces side ways more than the traditional bicep curl. I do both when I workout. They are part of my routine. I do traditional bicep curls with a barbell, then I do later on concentration curls. You get a different burn also because of the change of arm position.