Hungry all the time

Options
I am doing the 1200/1300 calories a day. I am losing a pound or two a week (without much exercising). Except I am hungry at least every 2 hours. Like starving hungry. Its getting worse too, I am starting to become starving after only an hour. I am guessing this is my metabolism working but its driving me crazy. Cause the hungrier I am the harder it is to avoid high calorie foods.

Examples of what I eat on a daily basis:
8am Weight Control Oatmeal
hungry by 930
10 or 1030 a banana with peanut butter
hungry by 11
12 lean cuisine bbq chicken pizza
hungry by 2
3 apple
hungry by 400
530 lean cuisine chicken philly flatbread

I also will have a glass (2 cups) of milk somewhere in the day to help fill me up.

any ideas?

Replies

• silvertears
    silvertears Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You said you don't exercise much... is it by choice or because you can't? If you workout, you will "earn" extra calories and that might help you manage your hunger a bit more. It also might help when you feel hungry to drink a glass of water... or chew some sugar free gum.
  • bakergirl62
    bakergirl62 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    bump
  • schan
    schan Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi there,

I find that if I am hungry I have a big glass of water and wait for 20 mins before I decide whether to snack - apparently your body can be thirsty but it comes over as your body being hungry. I'm no doctor, but that's what I was told. It works for me as I can get terrible cravings for sweet things...when I've only just eaten!

Good luck!
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I think you probably need to look at what you're eating. Processed food, never fills me up. I always do much better if I cook from scratch, and then you can chuck in loads and loads of veggies, so you get more food for your calorie allowance. You'll also have much better control over the likes of sodium.

Do you drink water in addition to your milk? Try drinking at least a cup before each meal, and sip throughout the day.

You could try swopping your fruit for veggies...I eat fruit, don't get me wrong. But you can eat more carrots volume wise than you can banana for the same calories if you get what I mean.

You might need to eat more for breakfast - some people find if they have more for breakfast they do better throughout the day.

You might need to consider eating more than 1200 calories anyway. There have been some very succesful people on here who haven't ever eaten less than 1400. I always more or less eat about 1500 or else you just can't live with me...I just have to be realistinc that I can only lose a smaller amount of weight each week.

Good luck.

Erika
  • Kaileyxoxo
    Kaileyxoxo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    what has helped me is drinking lots of water, you'll make many bathroom trips but it will keep you full. If im not fully satisfied with a meal, i just have a bottle of water (or tea) and it really helps me feel full. Also try adding almonds to your diet, almonds are proven to reduce hunger throughout your day, i like having them in yogurt. One more thing, adding more fiber into your diet is one of the best ways to keep you full, try kashi or fiber one. Hope any of this helps!
  • goldk
    goldk Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking water? How about a bigger breakfast - an egg white omelett with veggies. How about a salad with grilled chicken or tuna for lunch instead of the Lean Cuisine meal (those don't fill me up at all - :noway: ). What about the sodium and preservative in the Lean Cuisine meals - would that cause someone to be hungrier... I don't know just putting it out there.

I'm also on 1200 calories a day but workout so I can eat more :laugh: Yesterday however I could have snacked all day. Nothing was filling me up but that is not the case everyday.

Good Luck!!
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think that you will find that most lean cuisines or other processed meals have less fiber and protein than other less processed options that you can eat for the same calories.

For lunch try having a large salad with protein (grilled chicken, tuna, egg whites, etc.). Maybe even mix in spinach instead of lettuce on that salad, or go half and half. I guarrantee that you will not only be full, but you will not be hungry for quite some time.

For dinner swap out the frozen entree for protein with some more veggies. The closer it is to it's natural state (example, fresh green beans instead of canned) the more it will fill you up!

Fiber, protein, water, and fat are the components that will fill you up and take less time to break down. At each meal or snack, look for ways to incorporate more of these things into your diet. Good luck to you!!:smile:
  • Robby
    Robby Posts: 41
    Options
    Everybody has it right! Water and veggies...pile on the veggies. Baseline of 1200-1300 cals is fine but don't count your veggies in that total, they are just too good for you to skip them because of calories. Most veggies are about 35 cals per servings (1 cup) so dig in! They will fill you up and satisfy cravings for crunchy things, too. Remember count anything you dip them in though!
  • Veronica320
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're not eating enough at meals. I would try incorporating a little from each food group at Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Just one of those little pizzas wouldn't fill anyone up for very long.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I had the same problem, except I work out 5 times a week. Went to the dr. and found out I am pre-diabetic with low sugar tendencies (hypoglycemic). This is what I eat on a daily basis and I eat every two to two and 1/2 hours. I drink more than 8 glasses of water each day.

6:00 AM

Coffee
    Danon light and Fit yogurt
    banana/cantelope/strawberries (one cup of one)
    Low sugar Maple oat meal (1 package)

9:00 AM

Oroweat Sandwhich thin w/1 tablespoons peanut butter
    1 cup of fresh fruit

11:30 AM

Weight Watchers Smart Ones
    1 cup of fruit

2:00 PM

Oroweat 100% whole wheat bread 1 slice
    1 tablespoon peanut butter
    1 cup of fresh fruit

5:00 Dinner

7:00 Snack

Did your doctor inform you to eat so much fruit? 4 cups a day just seems a bit much to me.
  • abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    Options
    Start cooking....you will notice you can eat more and its more filling. Also bring in high fiber foods
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisines, Smart Ones....all the diet microwave meals are not very filling and aren't very healthy. If you can, cut them out. However, I understand that some people just dont have the time to cook so if you have to keep them supplement them with a large salad. You could make a few minor changes and probably feel better. Remember protien and fiber will keep you full longer.

8am Weight Control Oatmeal and glass of milk

10 or 1030 a banana with peanut butter

12 lean cuisine bbq chicken pizza and a veggie salad (or get rid of the pizza and have a large salad with nuts and cheese)

3 apple and 1/2 serving almonds

530 3 or 4 oz of lean protien, saute veggies (as much as you like) in 1 tbs olive oil over 1/2 cup brown rice
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Home cooked real food is surprisingly light. Keep it simple. A nice portion of boneless/skinless chicken breast sauteed in a little EVOO with onions & peppers with a side of green beans and a whole wheat roll is good good and 300-ish calories. Remember - herbs and spices are free - so lay on the parsley flakes and garlic and thyme and black pepper and oregano and all that and make it tasty and savory and good. You don't have to suffer.

And when you're starved anyways... Big, bulky lo-cal/no-cal vegetables. A big big salad is 40 cals and will make you feel stuffed. Celery/greens/cukes.

And drink your water.
  • melissa616
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I hate to cook but I guess I am gonna have to get over it. I do drink water all day. Besides milk, it is the only thing I drink.

I also hate salads so, again, I will have to get over it.

I did go buy almonds. I also do put peanut butter on my banana sometimes.

Will just have to start cooking!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I think a little more calories may be needed, but I don't know your stats.
    So all I can suggest is eating less processed, higher protein & fiber foods to fill you up more.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    You need more protein and fiber. It keeps you full longer! I eat at least 25g fiber per day if I can, and I also increased my allowed protein per day. I only get hungry around 10 pm, which would be about 4 hours after my last meal, but I don't eat anything. I might be a little hungry throughout the day, but it goes away pretty quickly. It sucks that you are getting hungry really fast. I agree with everyone else about cooking your own stuff--you wouldn't believe how full you can be just by eating a chicken breast and some veggies!
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I hate to cook but I guess I am gonna have to get over it. I do drink water all day. Besides milk, it is the only thing I drink.

I also hate salads so, again, I will have to get over it.

Personally, I love the bagged salad, so convenient - I just dump one in a big bowl for lunch with my protein and I'm good to go. But if you don't love salads and you are looking for the convenience factor, then you might consider all the new varieties of frozen vegetable assortments they have now. Green giant make a bunch of them that are in their own microwavable bags - just heat the whole thing up and you have a ton of tastey warm veggies to add to your lunch or dinner - lots of bulk for the calories!

That and good proteins are what keep me going. ps. it's ok to be hungry by the time it's time for your snack, as long as the snack is healthy and satisfying.

Also, I find that the weight control oatmeal doesn't stick with me very long either. I buy the plain One Minute oatmeal, add ground flax seed, a tbsp of chopped nuts, brown sugar, cinnamon to a half cup of oatmeal. The one minute one hydrates in boiling water just as well as the instant and it is much more filling.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Try swapping your weight control oatmeal for some real oatmeal. Just a half cup is very filling, low in sugar, high in fiber, and only 150 cals.

That leaves room to add some Fresh berries, Real maple syrup, Cinnamon....and it will taste great

If you don't like salads try making soups that you can freeze, sandwiches on WW bread, or leftovers from dinner.

If you don't cook you can try what my brother did to lose over 100 pounds. He got a George Forman Grill. About twice per week, he would grill up a few chicken breasts and some salmon fillets and put them in the fridge. Everyday for dinner he pulled out a peice of chicken or salmon, steamed some rice and veggies and had dinner. He always made enough for leftovers for lunch too.

Good luck!
    Holly
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    <<snip>>

Ooh,,, watch the portion size on those almonds. They're good - healthy fats, some protein. They're also yummy little gut bombs. I know I can eat 3 servings/400 calories of them in a heartbeat.

Do you have a food scale? My wife weighs them and put them in little snackie zip-bags. You can count out almonds too - I think 23 nuts makes a one ounce serving.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    One thing to watch is your sodium. Lots of processed foods contain tons of salt (even sweet stuff!!). The salt makes you thirsty which can seem like hunger. Also white bread, potatoes, rice, tend to leave you craving more after a short spike in your sugar levels. Avoid em like the plaque!