Glycemic index

Options
Does anyone know if there is any truth behind low glycemic foods helping with weight loss? I've been hearing that if you eat high glycemic foods, then the increase in insulin slows your ability to burn off fats. I've been hesitant to eat things like bananas, potatoes, and rice because they are considered high glycemic foods.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yes and no. High glycemic number foods tend to raise the blood sugar, which can affect body fat storage.

BUT

if you're not eating enough to really spike the blood sugar, or if your eating high GI foods after vigorous workouts (within reason) then it shouldn't be a problem. It's when you eat lots of high GI foods with no counterbalance (be it the carbs being locked up in fiber, or raised metabolic rate from exercise...etc.) that you can begin storing fat.

like everything else, high GI foods have their place. Learning when it's ok to have them is just another step in the road to better health.
  • abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    Options
    I make sure to have a protein before carbs. So I may have a string cheese before my fruit. I read in a fitness magazine that it helps with the insulin spike that comes when eating high glycemic foods.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I make sure to have a protein before carbs. So I may have a string cheese before my fruit. I read in a fitness magazine that it helps with the insulin spike that comes when eating high glycemic foods.

As a whole, fruit doesn't really spike blood sugar anyway (generally). Most fruits are in the low to mid range (with a few notable exceptions like watermelon and some dried fruits). Plus the fructose in fruit doesn't work the same way as sucrose , it needs to be combined first which takes longer, hence no spike in blood sugar.
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    Also, these foods can cause too much insulin to be produced, which causes too much sugar to be taken out of your blood, which can make you feel hungry more often, so you eat more.