coloring hair/going gray

Options
marathon64
marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
A couple years ago I started to get my first gray hairs. I didn't want to color it but I didn't like the idea of going gray so I decided to use the non permanent hair color. I've used it about 5 times. I don't have a ton of grey...

Recently I adopted a vegan diet and I feel like with all I am doing to put healthy things in my body I just don't want to use hair color anymore. I ALSO feel like I am trying to be confident and feel good about myself with all my work to stay fit, I want to find a way to feel confident and beautiful even with graying hair.

Part of me wonders if I'm kidding myself though!

So you women out there who debated about coloring your hair-especially those who decided not too-I'd love to hear from you and how you are feeling about your decision. Oh and for the men-how do you view women with grey hair?

I think grey hair is one grooming area where men have it so much easier...

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Look into all-natural options. There are dyes made from things like plant roots, etc. I don't know a lot about them, but I know they exist. This may be a case where google is your friend, at least as a starting point.
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I henna my hair. It ends up being a natural deep conditioning treatment that strengthens my hair and makes my scalp feel amazing... while giving me lovely red hair. No chemicals.

I stopped using chemical dyes a few years ago. I had a weird reaction to the salon color, even though it was the same thing they always used. My scalp was scabby, then flaked! I researched what was in most dyes and did not want it on my head.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Man here. Fortunately, i just just get more and more "distinquished" looking everyday, and don't have these quandries.:wink:
  • Tapemymouthshutplease
    Options
    You have a body like that and you are worried about a few grey hairs???? Can I slap you silly?
  • LivvyLinde
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing! I'm only 21, and I'm definitely going gray. It runs in my family.

Henna sounds cool! Where do you get it?
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm only 24 and am already starting to get a few strands of gray in the FRONT (AHHH!) I keep yanking them out....but when they start getting worse I will definitely be coloring...I"m just not ready to have obvious gray so young!

But my mom who is 49 and almost completely gray, has never colored and loves it...she also gets lots of compliments on how pretty her hair color is, just because its so unusual to see someone actually go gray these days....
  • TrishaMarie13
    TrishaMarie13 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've never used it, but LUSH has all-natural Henna hair dye. If you want something without the chemicals, you might want to try this. Again, I don't know how well it works, but I know how it feels to have grey hair. :(

http://www.lushusa.com/Henna-Hair-Dyes/henna-hair-dyes,en_US,sc.html
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    You have a body like that and you are worried about a few grey hairs???? Can I slap you silly?

I agree!!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I started graying in my twenties, and have lived all but two years of my life with the silver highlights mother nature has given me.

After my mother died when I just turned 50, I wanted to distance myself from the aging process, and dyed my hair with a permanent hair coloring I bought at the natural food store. I did this for two years. It was supposedly 'natural' and vegan, but I still had my doubts. One day, I saw a picture of myself, and it looked like my hair was a synthetic helmet I was wearing.

That day, I decided to grow it out. And, I'm very glad I did!

Here's a site with some awesome great grays: http://goinggraylookinggreat.com/
  • TrishaMarie13
    TrishaMarie13 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing! I'm only 21, and I'm definitely going gray. It runs in my family.

Ditto. I've been going grey for a while. A cousin on my Dad's side went completely grey when she was 17! It's not as bad for me, but I've been seeing grey strands for a while now.
  • bayertablets
    bayertablets Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't wait to have gray hair... and it will happen since I'm blonde and the blondes in my family have the tendency to go gray (silver actually) pretty early. Whenever anyone I know decides to stop coloring their hair, I make a point to always tell them how amazing they look. I love gray hair!
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    As a licensed Cosmetologist I'd suggest Henna to you if you're looking to cover the gray without using chemicals in your hair.
    Just be aware that the process is a bit more complicated and you also can't use other hair color after you use henna.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I started coloring my hair once I got tired of the patch of gray that I couldn't even see without a mirror.

A year or so later I started highlighting.

I'd never go back. Ever.
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options

I order mine from mehandi.com. I've tried a few others and they seem to have the best product. Henna and indigo are messy to apply and they have to stay on a while, but I've found that the way the color lasts and how healthy your hair ends up is totally worth it. I have hair to the bottom of my shoulder blades and I don't even have to condition it.

I see someone has mentioned LUSH's henna. I do not recommend it at all. Weak color, and it coats your hair with oil so you have to wash it a million times. One of the worst products I've tried. Do not get henna/indigo/cassia that has been adulterated with other products. Get the pure powder, fine sift, and mix it yourself with tea tree oil or citrus, and hot water. That's all that is needed. :)

Anyone who has questions about henna or other natural dyes, feel free to contact me. I've been using it for years and my hair has never looked better.
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I found my first gray hair when I was 17 years old. Now, at 41 years old, I'm probably about 80% gray...if I didn't color my hair. I'm not ready to give in to it. My hair is one of my favorite features and I'm much happier with it when I can't see the gray. :tongue:
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, a nature girl, and I've never used color. I won't say I never will, because if I went gray in a weird way, I'd correct it. But for now, I plan to get to my ideal weight, be very fit, and make gray hair look GOOD. I kind of like the way it looks silver in the sunlight.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My wife used to color her hair. It was a big pain for her, literally. She has a sensitive scalp and the dyeing agents used to cause her a lot of discomfort. I talked with her about it, and she was dyeing her hair for me, to make herself "look" younger. I told her Thanks, but she didn't need to do that for me. Anyway, she let her gray grow in and now her hair is fuller, and looks beautiful. I think your right to entertain the thought to discontinue using dyes. :smile:
  • steveinct
    steveinct Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am going to say something very unpopular and for that, I apologize. I personally think you need to be almost all gray to pull off the "silver fox". When it is just in the 20% gray range, it kinda has a burnt out hippie look. That said, I HAVE seen women who can pull it off so you might want to try. If you want to keep coloring, there are plenty of natural alternatives. Henna is a popular choice. Sage is another option. I am sure there are a bunch of others as well.

I am going gray and would LOVE to reverse it from the inside. I am not sure if mine is reversible, but I am going to try. I just started to take green drinks regularly to see if that will get some color back. If not, I might try SOD for a while or maybe some brewers yeast. Possibly black strap molasses (but I am not sure if I want the extra iron in my diet). I figure I will do each test for a few months and go from there. Good luck!
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I have hair past my tail and silver streaks run from my temple to the bottem. They are on the underside. So, if my hair is down you might not see it but up you will. I like it. It's got a really cool look to it when in a bun. You can see it shooting up both sides and kinda spun in my bun. I hope you love it whatever you decide.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you so much for all these responses it's really great to read them!