Eating carbs only in the morning

Options
2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend was telling me last night that i should eat my carbs only in the morning and then the rest of the day have salad, veggies,fruit and protein.and this will help my body lose weight.. He's a Sgt in the Marines and i know he's done tons of training and has made other guys lose weight to train better but does anyone know if this is true and if it really does work if you eat carbs once and in the morning only? I don't want to tell my boyfriend he's wrong but that just seemed weird to me...
    I'm sure your honey means well, but that is not true. You can eat anything you want at any time, you just need to eat within a calorie deficit. If you set up your goals in MFP, that is already worked into your calorie allowance. You eat that amount plus any exercise calories and keep accurate logs of calories in and calories expended. Do these things, including eating less than what you burn, and you will lose weight.

Edited to add: didn't realize I was responding to an old thread. Oh well, for anyone who is interested.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend was telling me last night that i should eat my carbs only in the morning and then the rest of the day have salad, veggies,fruit and protein.and this will help my body lose weight.. He's a Sgt in the Marines and i know he's done tons of training and has made other guys lose weight to train better but does anyone know if this is true and if it really does work if you eat carbs once and in the morning only? I don't want to tell my boyfriend he's wrong but that just seemed weird to me...

This is completely incorrect. Carb timing has little to no impact on fat loss. Studies have shown that you can eat carbs throughout the day or even all of them at night and still lose a similar amount of weight.

Furthermore, veggies and fruits are both primarily carbs.

It is a very common myth in the weight loss industry, which is why so many people in this thread have agreed. However, they are mistaken.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It makes NO DIFFERENCE. Nutritional timing has absolutely no effect on body composition or weight loss. Science has been very clear on that. Weight loss is all about calorie deficit, if you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight, as your body cannot, and will not, store fat if it's not getting enough fuel to support it's current size.

Edit - Why the hell do people keep bumping irrelevant, ancient threads?
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've read this too in body building training books. I call it nocturnal ketosis. I've tried it and it seems to work.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    It makes NO DIFFERENCE. Nutritional timing has absolutely no effect on body composition or weight loss. Science has been very clear on that. Weight loss is all about calorie deficit, if you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight, as your body cannot, and will not, store fat if it's not getting enough fuel to support it's current size.

Edit - Why the hell do people keep bumping irrelevant, ancient threads?

Newbies using the Search Function? Idk.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Changing your routine will help you lose weight this is nothing more then changing your daily routine. THe logic behind this is carbs are fuel your body will use it up during the day and not have a chance to store it.
  • jherring71
    jherring71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a body buider, CrossFit trainer, US Marshall, exMarine tell me the same thing. I don't listen well but he seemed like someone I should listen to so I followed his logic. It works! I consumed my carbs in the morning and started losing weight. BUT, because my craving for carbs reduced over time, I noticed I started forgetting to eat them in the morning again and slowly started CRAVING them by the end of the day...and I wasn't craving the good stuff either. I am back to eating my carbs in the morning and I can tell a huge difference mental and physical satisfaction. If there is anything I am etching in my lifelong diet, it's making sure I consume my carbs in the morning.