On Depo Shot. Want to lose a few pounds.

I'm 18 years old and recently gained 30 pounds in only 2 months. I don't know if that's abnormal, and my doctor hasn't said anything about it. I went on the Depo shot in October and only weighed 124 pounds. Now I weigh about 150-160 pounds. I started gaining it slowly, but out of nowhere, I started to gain it quickly. To the point where I would buy new pants and 2 weeks later wouldn't fit in anyway shape or form. A lot of people are saying that they were on the Depo shot and you can't lose weight once you're on it. I don't believe in this at all, but it keeps coming back into my mind when I go to exercise and I get discouraged. Any exercising or dieting I can do? Or anyone with this same problem?

Replies

• I'm losing weight on the depo shot; I gained 30 lbs in a year to another medicine though :/
  • mrscreager
    mrscreager Posts: 32 Member
    I was on the Depo many years ago and went from about 115 to 145 in a matter of months. Still ran track, still played volleyball, everything kept the same. The weight just piled on. I know you don't want to hear this but, maybe look at a different birth control. The depo was nice, no worrying about a pill everyday and no periords. But if I could go back, I would have never went on it in the first place. I would say, give it another 3 months, a good, dedicated 3 motnhs. Try eating right, working out, and if no changes, then I would highly suggest looking into another kind of BC. Unless you can deal with the weight gain.

Gook luck either way!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Depo is the WORST. I gained 15 lbs and never stopped bleeding... Worst thing I've ever taken in my life!!!
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    I gained 80lbs in three years being on Depo. (Wasn't just because of depo mind you!)
    My doctor said the average was 30lbs gained being on it.

I know when I tried losing weight last year (right after getting my shot, it was really hard to lose).
    I got my past shot this past April and I find it a lot easier losing weight now that it's slowly getting out of my system.

I remember ALWAYS being hungry for two weeks when I'd get my shot as well.

I don't know if I'll ever go on Depo again.
  • Obrienlo
    Obrienlo Posts: 10 Member
    I won't tell you all the horrors of the depo shot that i've experience, resulting in multiple tumor removal surgeries, but i can tell you i gained 60 lbs my first year...with a personal trainor and a nutritionist. I never used to be able to gain weight...well Depo changed it! I also got an underactive thyroid! My Dr won't even prescribe it after the horror me and my sister dealt with! Do yourself a favor and get off it asap!
  • MelissaAnn1983
    MelissaAnn1983 Posts: 149 Member
    I have been on mine for over 6 months. So far I have only had a 5 pound gain. But I have been watching what I eat. Now it won't go away! I am trying hard though! Add me! Anyone can! We can help each of us through. Depo is a pretty horrible shot with what it does to the body but I love the no periods.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    I'm also anti-depo, not just because of the weight gain but I had constant bleeding and also it interacted with another drug I was on and I became suicidal. Also, my sister in law and two of her cousins all became pregnant on it (I realize that's totally anecdotal, but thought I'd throw that in) Obviously everyone reacts differently, but if you think it's causing problems for you, you might want to investigate some other birth control options.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    I was on it for 11 years. I gained about 30 pounds the first year, and no matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of it. I gained more after that, but I won't blame it on the Depo. I also would have opted for something else if I could have a do-over.
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Depo causes weight gain for most people... it did for me too..
  • I gained weight on depo as well - and it made me moody. It made my boobs grow an extra size and since I was already a DD then, I didnt need to...even when I lost weight after getting off of depo, my boobs kinda stayed the same. Its some crazy sh*&
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    My lovely 60lb gain is mostly from Depo...and it hasn't gone away yet :( It seems to be extremely stubborn!!

I loved it for the convenience but the weight gain was something I could have lived without.
  • depo made me gain too, but you can lose weight while you're on it.. you just have to be crazy diligent with your food tracking & exercise. If you are really struggling with the weight gain or having other unwanted side effects, maybe your doc can recommend a different BC for you to try after this depo runs out. (I went from depo to the patch and still had issues with weight, but my depression/anxiety was much improved. depo seriously made me cry at everything/anything)
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    The only horror story I had with depo WAS the weight gain luckily and I was on it for three years.
    No problems with bone density or the blood clots that are apparently common.

I loved the shot.
    No scared, convenient and I loved not having a period.
    It's going to suck getting one after like three years (haven't had it yet, doctor said it might take up to a year).

It's just too bad for the weight gain...
  • I also fell victim to the depo weight gain. Now the only birth control I will use is the paragard. I think you can lose weight if you really tried. I didn't try.
  • Alright, so its not just me who gained all the weight from it. I've considered trying a different birth control. The only reason I got the Depo shot was because I couldn't remember taking it every night. Now I'm on 4 different medications so I think it might be easier to change birth controls. Thanks everyone!
  • mrscreager
    mrscreager Posts: 32 Member
    Im on the Implanon. Have been able to loose weight. But it has its own downsides (irregualr spotting, breast tenderness). But I would take that over the weight gain anyday! And its good for 3 years. You are also fertile as soon as its removed. So no waiting around to become preggers if that is what you want to do.
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    I've gained 20 since starting it 2 months ago.... Its terrible.... I kicked my own butt for a month without weighing myself....ate healthy and within my goal all but two days (added up to only 3400 all together for my two bad days) ....i gained eight pounds doing that. I realize part of it could be muscle....but I think i should have lost at least a pound.... i went from 144 to 164 since early JUNE. Sometimes Its super depressing for me but i try to just exercise enough to at least not gain... Im giving it one more 3 month cycle and if i keep gaining I stopping it. I started it because of sever TOM and no pill ever worked...some even made it worse! I liek not having periods on depo, but I cant gain more weight!
  • HolyPeas
    HolyPeas Posts: 71
    Nurse here, TECHNICALLY SPEAKING, the shot should not be enough to cause dramatic weight gain like that, but none the less it certainly seems to have that effect on many people.

Honestly, I would suggest looking into a non-hormonal form of birth control such as a paraguard IUD. They are good for 10 years and hormone free. It's a more natural way to go and I am extremely happy with mine. Also they tend to be far more effective that the shots and pills. AND you can have it removed at any time and your fertility will return immediately.
  • easternNCchick
    easternNCchick Posts: 198 Member
    I was my smallest on depo. Still on it years later and yeah, Im obese...but thats being lazy and eating processed crap
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    I'm on depo right now as well and have gained 10 pounds since I started it in November of 2011 and I thought that was bad. My health department here will pull me off of it if I gain anymore weight and I happen to like not having a period!

I'm here and am in your shoes. I'd ideally like to lose 40 pounds but for my height 25-30 is best so that's what I'm going for.

Friend me (=