rice dinners

Options
i dont normally cook rice, but i just bought some brown rice and want to know some tasty healthy recipes. i dont really like fish/sea food.. but other meats im good with. if you could give me your recipes or suggest a site that has a few different ones. i really want something healthy, lowest calories possible, but with a lot of nutrients.

Replies

• andi_lefty
    Options
    you can try some sort of Asian flavored grilled
    chicken(:
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    for my family of 5
    I cook mine most of the time with
    tomatos(6) , garlic(1tb) and onion(half small) and 1 cup rice and water
    1 cans broth, onion(half small), carrots(2) , peas(12 pods or 1/4 can), corn(1 cob or 1/4 can) 1 cup rice and water (my kids love this kind)
    bake chicken
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You can cook it risotto style.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    rice and beans is a favorite of mine! :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    bumping, will post some rice recipes later (if I remember)
  • bwag0655
    Options

what kind of beans do you use?
  • bwag0655
    Options
    chicken(:

how would i make that? i've never made chicken before.. hahah kinda a newbie to cooking for myself.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    chicken(:

how would i make that? i've never made chicken before.. hahah kinda a newbie to cooking for myself.

Really easy :)

Cook your rice before hand. Set aside.
    Take a chicken breast and dice it up raw. Next heat a pan up on the stove.
    Before adding the chicken to the pan, mix up something to flavor it with in a small bowl. I would use some fresh ginger, soy sauce, crushed red pepper, garlic, and hoisin with a teensy bit of honey.
    Add flavor to heated pan for a few seconds then add the chicken. Cook until it is not longer pink in the middle. ETA: Make sure you stir the chicken around in the sauce so that it gets coated evenly. Also, use medium heat. The sauce will burn if you cook it at a higher temp, and it will taste gross.
    Next, add a bag of frozen stir fry vegetable mix.
    Once the veggies are thawed and tender, you're meal is ready.
    Serve with rice :)

Also: if you want to make this a little sweeter, try adding a 1/4 c of diced pineapple when you add the stir fry veggies.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    1 cup rice (measured uncooked, used after cooking)
    1 tomato
    1 can of black beans
    some cilantro
    some lime juice
    some corn

mix them all up, enjoy a nice little side dish.

I will post the recipe for khabsa when I get home. You will enjoy it
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

what kind of beans do you use?

I use all! Chickpeas, black eye peas, black beans, white beans :D

Here are some AMAZING and easy rice and bean dishes :)
    http://www.nomeatathlete.com/rice-and-beans/
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're looking to use rice as a side dish, try adding chicken or vegetable bullion to the water before you boil it and add the rice. Adds a really nice flavor to otherwise boring brown rice, but mind the sodium.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll cook it in chicken broth with a bit of lemon and serve it with Lemon tarragon chicken breast (which is just chicken poached in chicken broth, lemon juice, and fresh tarragon). That's a nice one.

Or just make a stir fry with whatever veggies look good at the farmer's market--just pick variety of colors textures and cut roughly the same size so they'll all cook evenly. You can add lean chicken, pork, or beef. I usually add ginger or garlic but if you like things spicy some hot peppers are good, too.

Or make a chicken soup and add the rice. (that's more for fall when it's cooler and soup is a great option. filling and warming and generally low in cals...you can add whatever veggies you like and however much chicken.
  • plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas so far. I normally go the stir fry route and serve it plain, but I like the beans and rice idea.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Cheesy eggs-n-rice! Heat a medium pan and combine 1/4 cup cooked brown rice, 1 cup cooked broccoli and 3 tsp sweet chili sauce. Simmer and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add 6 egg whites and cook thoroughly. Layer with 1 ounce Colby Jack cheese. Allow cheese to melt and enjoy! Huge 2 cup bowl for a mere 300 calories and 35 grams of protein!

photo-11.jpg

*ugh* I'm so bad at resizing photos, but you get the idea lol
  • arenkel
    arenkel Posts: 77
    Options
    Black beans, brown rice, corn niblets, sweet onion (sauteed first), tomato, and spices--red pepper, cumin, paprika, black pepper, chili powder, cayenne, etc... I go a little crazy with my spices, but you can do whatever tastes good to you. You could also add some chicken if you wanted to (I don't, because I'm vegetarian, but I have friends who like it w/ chicken)

I make a big batch of this occasionally, and it makes lunches (and a few dinners) for a week!
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Rice, scrambled eggs or scrambled tofu (tofu is best if it's marinated in soya sauce), veggies (corn and peas and carrots are my favourites), and soya sauce. Yum, my favourite. Add some spices too - salt, pepper, lemon pepper.
    My boyfriend loves adding tumeric to rice but it's not my favourite kind.
  • plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Black beans, brown rice, corn niblets, sweet onion (sauteed first), tomato, and spices--red pepper, cumin, paprika, black pepper, chili powder, cayenne, etc... I go a little crazy with my spices, but you can do whatever tastes good to you. You could also add some chicken if you wanted to (I don't, because I'm vegetarian, but I have friends who like it w/ chicken)

I make a big batch of this occasionally, and it makes lunches (and a few dinners) for a week!

Do you mix all that in with the rice when it is cooking or do you just kind of do it like a fried rice stir fry thing?
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Make a stir fry--over rice, instead of noodles.

Cook some chicken, or beef in a pan with some Worchestershire sauce and then add a variety of veggies and put it over the rice. I love stir fry and that's how I make it, over rice without noodles. It's low calorie too :)