What is the point

Options
Of setting the treadmill on an incline and then walking while holding on to the top of the machine? How are you getting any extra workout, as far as I am concerned you're just walking with only slightly more effort, at an angle. It irritates me when I see people doing this.

Replies

• tiffster4
    tiffster4 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i've always wondered the same thing! lol. i don't get it either. :smile:
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    When I was able to walk on a treadmill, I did hold on to the "handrails" for balance. I thought it was better to walk, even at a incline than not to exercise at all--not holding on is better though for those who are able to.:smile::wink: :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Well, I know walking on the extreme incline and holding on helps balance. I did it for a little while until I moved into running. I would try to keep my arms loose so that I was still doing the work, but at a really high incline on the treadmill, it is easy to fall backwards (or at least feel like you are going to lol)
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    The incline still helps tone glute and hamstring muscles - with or without holding on I think.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Of setting the treadmill on an incline and then walking while holding on to the top of the machine?

Here's the point--

funny-strange-people-1.gif

:wink:
  • mscocoa30
    mscocoa30 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Of setting the treadmill on an incline and then walking while holding on to the top of the machine?

Here's the point--

funny-strange-people-1.gif

:wink:

LOL
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I've started to increase my incline from 3-4% to a 8-10%, and I sometimes need to grab the handrail to assist me in a recovery moment, and to check my HR.
  • MBH3
    MBH3 Posts: 30
    Options
    My trainer says walking at incline works the glutes, hamstrings and calves more than walking flat. It also increases cardio output. Preferable to not use hand rails b/c you will work harder if pumping your amrs...but if you are using proper form and not resting on hand rails, you are still getting a better workout than walking at 0 incline.

Marcy
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    but by holding on you are taking away your some of your weight, other than working other muscles you defeat the purpose of going inclined (to burn more cals). The machine may show you burning more cals because it assumes you are not holding on.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Being a klutz, if I don't at least rest my hands on the handrail when starting out, or if trying to walk and talk at the same time, I fall off. Not everyone is graceful and well coordinated. Least of all me. I try not to "hold on" or put weight on them, and I let go when I am focused and in my stride, but I have been the laughing stock before..... :blushing:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    holding handrails while waking or running is also bad for joints. not recommended, it takes your body out of it's normal balance, and can put pressure on the wrong parts of the knee and hips. Don't use the handrails for extended periods, it's bad news.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you support yourself during exercise, for whatever reason, you are decreasing the aerobic intensity of the workout. So, first of all, you are not working as hard as the machine says you are.

The "balance" argument can be a valid one, but I have always recommended that it be used as a "transition" approach, with the ultimate goal being to walk/run unsupported.

There is little or no point to walking at a higher speed or incline than you could otherwise do unsupported. Any increased "toning" that is purported to come from walking at an incline is going to be minimal at best--just enough to adapt to walking on an incline (and substantially less than even THAT if you hold on).

Again, if you are someone for whom balance is an issue--at any speed/incline combo--then that's completely different. You should use whatever handrail support you feel is necessary for your own comfort and safety (and be aware of the fact that anything other than a light touch will decrease the work and the calories burned, so take that into consideration when you log your numbers).

Otherwise, people should be able to find a speed/incline combination that they can use to walk unsupported. If you want to walk at a higher incline, for whatever reason, just turn the speed down so you can do it w/out the handrails. Actually, I think there are some benefits to doing just that, if you are a non-runner. I found that, with a steep enough incline, I could burn almost as many calories as running (900/hour) with overall less stress on my joints.

We have all been to clubs and see the people either hunched over the stairmaster, or gripping the treadmill handrails for dear life. You know what you think when you see them....do you really want to be *that* person?
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Instead of using a treadmill, go outside and walk. The treadmill moves the "ground" for you and you are not propelling your weight, just lifting up your feet as the treadmill does the work. Go outside and walk or run. That way you don't have to worry about handrails or not.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Instead of using a treadmill, go outside and walk. The treadmill moves the "ground" for you and you are not propelling your weight, just lifting up your feet as the treadmill does the work. Go outside and walk or run. That way you don't have to worry about handrails or not.

Above is true as long as you are not physically challenged and needing a cane or walker for balance.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Of setting the treadmill on an incline and then walking while holding on to the top of the machine? How are you getting any extra workout, as far as I am concerned you're just walking with only slightly more effort, at an angle. It irritates me when I see people doing this.

I will admit that I do agree with you that the person would be better off walking at less of an incline and using their arms for better form and a better stronger workout, but I don't think I would let it irritate me. You should look at them and be happy with your abilities. Everyone is working at their own pace and you never know what that person might be dealing with physically.

That said, I don't use the handrails but I have to say I am glad they are there sometimes, usually when my allergies are bad and my balance is off due to fluid build up in my ears.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

I do when the weather is nice, but in Michigan with approaching frigid temperatures and snow on the ground, walking/running outside is not always do-able (especially when it's already dark when I get off work) so a gym membership works better for winter.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

I will admit that I do agree with you that the person would be better off walking at less of an incline and using their arms for better form and a better stronger workout, but I don't think I would let it irritate me. You should look at them and be happy with your abilities. Everyone is working at their own pace and you never know what that person might be dealing with physically.

That said, I don't use the handrails but I have to say I am glad they are there sometimes, usually when my allergies are bad and my balance is off due to fluid build up in my ears.

I don't have a problem with it if people have certain physical limitations. There was a man at the gym the other day that was very large and walking very slow on the treadmill, but the mere fact that he was there and doing something for him made me feel admiration for him.

I'm talking about the people who look to be in tip top shape, who you've seen running on the treadmill and/or walking fast without rails, and then they jack the treadmill up to the highest incline and they lean back and hold on while walking.

It's a pet peeve, nothing more.
  • SelkieGhost
    SelkieGhost Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Safety may also be an issue to take into consideration, when looking at walking outside vs. using gym equipment to walk/jog/run - not everyone lives in a neighborhood where it might be safe to go out for a stroll or a jog. When I was living back home in Florida a couple of years ago, waiting to join up with my husband (he was doing a short tour duty), there was absolutely no way I was going to be walking around by myself in that neighborhood. So - for me, the gym was my best option for anything simulating a jog/run/brisk walk, etc etc etc...