Which bread is best?

Options
Fozzi43
Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
Hi everyone, just want to say the advice I,ve had so far on here since I joined has been inspirational...thank you!

However I have another question :laugh: I rarely eat bread as it bloats me too much, I normally eat the half and half bread...which would be the best bread diet and health wise for me to eat when I do eat it?

Replies

• deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I switched to sandwich thins they are yummy and just right,,,
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    100% whole wheat sandwich thins are good and low calorie. I eat sprouted bread as sprouted grains are very healthy for you. My favorite brand is Silver Hills. Anything sprouted should be kept in the fridge or freezer.

100% whole wheat by Rudi's is good too!

Stick with 100% whole wheat and whole grains!
  • amersmanders
    amersmanders Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Question: half and half bread? I haven't heard of that before.

Do you have a sensitivity to gluten? If so, Udi makes good bread that is gluten free.

My personal favorite is Dave's Killer Bread. I like it because their breads don't use any "drugs", and they use a lot of seeds, nuts, etc. I like the Power Seed variety, though I know a lot of people who like Good Seed.

There are also other types of bread that are not made with wheat, or are made with sprouted wheat. If you have a natural food store in town, you might want to check them out.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I like the whole wheat sandwich thins and/or the Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted breads.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    More fibre in whole grain bread. So it depends on what the rest of you're diet is made up of and if you are getting enough fibre.
  • Preacher224
    Preacher224 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I eat a variety of breads. Never any enriched flour. I eat 100% whole wheat and "Food For Life"'s Ezekiel, 7 Sprouted Grains, Sesame, Genesis 1:29, and Raisin breads. I make my own artisan breads and also banana, blackberry applesauce etc. breads. I also buy the 100% whole wheat breads that have no HFCS, preservatives or artificial flavors. Hope this helps.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    Thanks guys...half and half bread is half white and half whole meal...it's one of the better breads but I want to eat THE best one. I eat lots of vegetables..especially leafy stuff such as cabbage, spinach etc. I also eat bran flakes for fibre and that really helps me.

Whole grain it is! :smile:
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If it bloats you a lot your body doesn't like it, so don't eat it! I'm the same, I don't eat any bread or pasta products now and can't say I miss them now. If I had to I might eat rye bread, it's best for you.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    None .
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    I live in the UK ...Think these are US breads?
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I like sandwich thins or Healthy Life 35cal bread
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    josephs flax pitas or lavash.

http://www.josephsbakery.com/
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options

http://www.foodforlife.com/ .. Not sure about UK.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

It's usually a toss up between whether you want to go for low calorie or bread with nutrients. If you are purely counting calories then just look at how many calories per slice. A great exampe is Weightwatchers bread, which is made by Warburtons so is exactly the same as their normal bread, just thinner/smaller slices. Warburtons own brand is cheaper!

If you want to also make sure the bread you have has some nutrients then go for multigrain (tastes nicer too). My favourites are Burgen Linseed and Soya of Warburtons or Hovis multigrain. But all supermarkets do their own brands.

Personally I just don't buy bread any more because if it is in the house then I will toast and eat the lot with lots of butter! Instead I live off Ryvita (love the various grain ones as they taste nicer) and Discovery tortillas (smaller than most tortillas so they have around 110 calories each. I even toast them to use to scoop up curry, chilli etc. Sainsburys permanently have them on three packs for £4, so I suspect most supermarkets do too. They have wholemeal varieties so are a bit healthier than white). Might be worth trying one of these if bread is giving you trouble.
  • Fozzi43
    Options

It's usually a toss up between whether you want to go for low calorie or bread with nutrients. If you are purely counting calories then just look at how many calories per slice. A great exampe is Weightwatchers bread, which is made by Warburtons so is exactly the same as their normal bread, just thinner/smaller slices. Warburtons own brand is cheaper!

If you want to also make sure the bread you have has some nutrients then go for multigrain (tastes nicer too). My favourites are Burgen Linseed and Soya of Warburtons or Hovis multigrain. But all supermarkets do their own brands.

Personally I just don't buy bread any more because if it is in the house then I will toast and eat the lot with lots of butter! Instead I live off Ryvita (love the various grain ones as they taste nicer) and Discovery tortillas (smaller than most tortillas so they have around 110 calories each. I even toast them to use to scoop up curry, chilli etc. Sainsburys permanently have them on three packs for £4, so I suspect most supermarkets do too. They have wholemeal varieties so are a bit healthier than white). Might be worth trying one of these if bread is giving you trouble.

That's brilliant...thank you! Think I'll go for the Warburtons one...I love sardines on toast:laugh:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

That's brilliant...thank you! Think I'll go for the Warburtons one...I love sardines on toast:laugh:

Mmmmmmm... sounds good! Warburtons is definitely the nicest tasting one - higher calories per slice but loads more seeds and nutrients etc.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to Warburtons Sandwich Thins;

http://www.warburtons.co.uk/sandwichthins

Although to be honest, at 100 cals per Thin I'd rather save money and just get a good quality multi-seeded loaf, Tesco Finest Mulitseed Farmhouse Batch is delicious and only around 110 cals a slice and much cheaper than the Thins.
    I've just done a comparison;

Warburtons Thins.

Nutrition
    Typical Values Typical values per average thin (42g) -
    Energy - kJ 427 kJ -
    - kcal (Calories) 100 kcal -
    Protein 3.9g -
    Carbohydrate 19.8g -
    of which sugars 1.9g -
    Fat 1.1g -
    of which saturates 0.2g -
    Fibre 1.6g -
    Sodium 0.16g -
    Salt 0.41g

Tesco Finest Farmhouse Multiseed Batch Bread.

Nutrition
    Typical Values 100g contains Each slice (44g) contains
    Energy 1020kJ (245kcal) 450kJ (110kcal)
    Protein 9.9g 4.4g
    Carbohydrate 40.4g 17.8g
    Sugars 4.0g 1.8g
    Fat 4.4g 1.9g
    Saturates 0.6g 0.3g
    Mono Unsaturates 1.1g 0.5g
    Polyunsaturates 2.5g 1.1g
    Fibre 7.5g 3.3g
    Sodium* 0.4g 0.2g
    *Salt Equivalent 1g 0.4g

The Tesco loaf is far healthier and much cheaper. Hope this helps. :)
  • Fozzi43
    Options

Although to be honest, at 100 cals per Thin I'd rather save money and just get a good quality multi-seeded loaf, Tesco Finest Mulitseed Farmhouse Batch is delicious and only around 110 cals a slice and much cheaper than the Thins.

Warburtons Thins.

Nutrition
    Energy - kJ 427 kJ -
    Protein 3.9g -
    Carbohydrate 19.8g -
    of which sugars 1.9g -
    Fat 1.1g -
    Fibre 1.6g -
    Sodium 0.16g -
    Salt 0.41g

Nutrition
    Protein 9.9g 4.4g
    Carbohydrate 40.4g 17.8g
    Sugars 4.0g 1.8g
    Fat 4.4g 1.9g
    Saturates 0.6g 0.3g
    Fibre 7.5g 3.3g
    Sodium* 0.4g 0.2g
    *Salt Equivalent 1g 0.4g

[/quo

That's a great help...thank you..shall pop in tesco on way out
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Warburtons Thins.

Nutrition
    Energy - kJ 427 kJ -
    Protein 3.9g -
    Carbohydrate 19.8g -
    of which sugars 1.9g -
    Fat 1.1g -
    Fibre 1.6g -
    Sodium 0.16g -
    Salt 0.41g

Nutrition
    Protein 9.9g 4.4g
    Carbohydrate 40.4g 17.8g
    Sugars 4.0g 1.8g
    Fat 4.4g 1.9g
    Saturates 0.6g 0.3g
    Fibre 7.5g 3.3g
    Sodium* 0.4g 0.2g
    *Salt Equivalent 1g 0.4g

[/quo

That's a great help...thank you..shall pop in tesco on way out

It's on offer at the moment too, £1.35 down to £1 until 20th Aug.