Horizon Eat, fast and live longer

Options

Replies

• jchocchip
    jchocchip Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump dh watched this and did 600 cals for two days. He doesn't mfp, but has been doing c25k. Will be interesting to see how you all get on. dh lost 6lbs over the 2 days but put 3 back on the next day...
  • losemesomeweight
    Options
    I found this which might be helpful:

"Finally, Dr. Mosley turns to what he calls  the “5/2″ diet, basically Eat Stop Eat. He eats for 5 days per week, and fasts for two, he still eats a small breakfast (600 calories) on his fast day, then fasts until breakfast the next day.

His fasts were ‘scattered’ which is exactly what we recommend with Eat Stop Eat."

So it's one meal and the fast days are separate and not consecutive.

Trying this now :)
  • alizon15
    alizon15 Posts: 59
    Options
    I found this which might be helpful:

"Finally, Dr. Mosley turns to what he calls  the “5/2″ diet, basically Eat Stop Eat. He eats for 5 days per week, and fasts for two, he still eats a small breakfast (600 calories) on his fast day, then fasts until breakfast the next day.

His fasts were ‘scattered’ which is exactly what we recommend with Eat Stop Eat."

So it's one meal and the fast days are separate and not consecutive.

Trying this now :)
    Have tried this for a week and have lost 5lbs , am allowing myself two meals on my fasting days , approx max 549 calories and sticking to around maintenance rest of week , dont think meals have to be set in stone , just the number of calories , my deficit for the week was 3900 calories , slightly less than the normal mfp way but much easier to manage AND with a much better result. Think may be each to their own with this "diet" but am hoping the health benefits will give this way the edge.
  • jellyboots
    Options
    Hi :) I saw this as well and did a bit of research into CRON. I've heard of it before and considered it a few years ago, but wasn't sure. I bought a couple of books on it too, so I'm going to read through those and maybe give it a try.

I never do anything without reading about it first, such a geek XD lol x
  • kakklespakkle
    kakklespakkle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    bump! for later x
  • staceyhossell
    staceyhossell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So ready to give this a shot and see how it works!

I'm maybe going to place a bet at the bookies. Is it possible to eat normally 5 days a week and lose 4 stone?

Hmmmmm.....
    Xxxxxxx
  • helen0616
    Options
    I fasted Wed and Fri last week and today is my third fasting day.
    By far, today is the easiest yet.
    Like others have noted, my appetite is noticeably reduced and am able to still stick with my 1400ish budget on "eating" days.
    I am also finally able to discern between what is a craving, what is boredom, what is habitual eating, and what is real hunger. I notice that on most fasting days, I don't feel true hunger pangs until around 4P, 10 hours after waking up.

I'm having 1 scoop protein powder with water in the morning (120 cal), 1 V8 Fusion for AM snack (100 cal), warm chicken broth at lunch (50ish cal), a low sodium V8 for afternoon snack (60 cal), and another protein drink at night (120 cal).

I feel ALIVE!
  • greencats
    Options
    Also watched the program with interest.

I talked to my wife about it and was suprised to find she wanted to join me.

We are doing it so the fasting days are just one main meal so we can still have a family meal with the kids. We are also spreading the days over the week.

Other than that we are eating pritty normally.

We are on our second fast day now. It is hard with the kids grazing and food been so available but to be honest it seems like something that is easier to stick to than feeling deprived every day.

Apart from feeling tired in the afternoon no ill affects to report at the moment.
    The wife struggled a little in the evening when she normally grazes but got over this by been more active.

5* recommended at the moment - It's such a simple plan.
  • alizon15
    alizon15 Posts: 59
    Options
    Keep with it- have found the fasting days progressively easier, weighed in today after 8 days and have lost 7lbs, is so much easier knowing can have that piece of cheese or glass of wine tomorrow! Even finding appetite less on "normal" eating days , tho keeping those to maintenance calories in the main.
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Alizon15 7 lbs in 8 days is great, well done!

I'm doing my very first 'fast' or low calories day today! I stopped eating last night at 7.30pm.

I'm planning on eating 500 calories. I've had a glass of milk for breakfast, a 240 calorie salmon and potato salad for lunch (thanks marks and spencers!) and dinner will be shredded crab salad and a cup of tea. Been drinking Green tea also.

Got 4 almonds in my pocket for emergency snacking! Haha. If i don't eat them whilst at work I'll put them on my crab salad.

I have to say, that I feel ok. :) No headaches or anything. I went for a walk to buy lunch and felt a little weak, but its quite warm and the shopping centre was busy.

I felt much more awake this morning as well on the way to work, which i wasn't expecting at all.

My tummy is more 'gurgly' - not making noise, but can feel it churning. I've just eaten though so guessing thats just my body catching up with processing things?!

x
  • parveen2013
    parveen2013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone

I also watched the programme but didn't see any commentary on Googlefor a few day. Glad you guys are doing it, as this is my second day.

Yesterday I had:

coffee with light soya milk
    two teas with skimmed milk
    miso soup
    two slices of best of both medium hovis bread and two slices of honey roast ham.
    1tsp of flora light and some rocket leaves
    two shots of Bombay gin and four slimline tonics

Today I have had:

coffee and soya milk again
    tea with skimmed milk
    mellow white miso soup
    I may have a peach in the afternoon and a Greek salad for dinner.

I find it tough in the afternoons. Breakfast and lunch are ok. I am going for a walk now to get more water and some peaches.

The only issue is that I cycle most days during the week - which burns about 300 calories per day.

Anyway, glad other people are trying this diet out. My husband will also be joining me when he is back at work.

Well done Alizon. I am also looking forward to losing weight!
  • ecogirl53
    Options
    On a fasting day today and my stomach is rumbling!

Stick with it - it does get easier although I find I fantasise about what I can eat the next day. I also feel much more alert but agree that its easier to eat less when you keep busy ! good luck anyway the weight loss and health benefits are worth 2 days of hunger pains. :0)
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'm on my first ever attempt at a fast - and as I have up to 500 calories to eat today, it's not really a fast at all! So far so good - I've had loads more water to drink than usual. Let's keep at it!

PS - You do know that you don't have to fast 2 days in a row? I decided to try out Tuesday & Friday as I don't HAVE to be active on those days this week.
  • alternacja
    Options
    bump
  • ilovestripeysocks
    Options
    Just completed week 1 and I have lost 3lbs.
  • Hodgie12345
    Hodgie12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I checked this out because I have started this diet. It 600 cals at once - not sprerad throughout the day. The point is to 'starve' the body so it trips the SIRT1 into action. I have been having two porridge oat bars at 13:00 and a hot oxo drink (15 cals) at night. On my 'eat' days I am being good - not hungry so much anyway, so find my body is coping well. I have been doing it for two weeks now and have lost 5 kilos (11 pounds). I dont feel dizzy, I do feel a little less energy on the 'fast day' but nothing to write home about. When the hunger comes its true that it doesnt last - its just a craving for a while. I am drinking gallons of cold water and green tea on the 'fast days'. This is working for me - one thing I especially like is that on my 'fast day' I can get through by saying 'we eat tomorrow !' - and it works. Oh another thing - I am enjoyng my food more, it tastes great. Like the man in the programme said he dreamt about making sandiwiches - so have I ! I advide everyone to try it - just for a three day spell. I do alternate day - day eating day fasting etc. Good luck, Hodgie x
  • meercat85
    Options
    Bump!
  • munty76
    munty76 Posts: 47
    Options
    This does sounds interesting. I have been trying to find the program on iplayer to watch but it seems to have disappered.

I have been fasting for the last month ( religious fast) where you eat before dawn and after dusk. Iv been averaging 12-1300 cals a day and also been trying to get some strength and cardio as well and have lost about 3.5/4kg in 27days

Our religion also stupulates an optional 2 day fast per week throughout the year which iv not ever done, but seeing the health benefits that are being talked about here i may give it ago now.
  • christopherpm
    christopherpm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm going to add my interpretation here too since there seems to be a lot of conflicting messages in this thread. I've watched the programme a few times to make sure I'm getting everything straight.

Now, what was being suggested in the trials was an alternate day fasting - First Day, eat pretty much whatever you want, second day, fast (400/500 calories for women, 600 for men), third day eat normal, fourth day fast and so on.

What Michael Mosely then looked at was the 5:2 diet - 5 days of normal eating and 2 days of fasting.

This is where the program (I feel) starts to confuse a little.

What the 5:2 trial is suggesting, is to eat normally for 5 consecutive days, then fast for 2 consecutive days eating your low calories all in one meal.

What Michael Mosely tried, was to modify this slightly so that he fasted on non-consecutive days, and ate either one or two meals on his fasting days.

However, from what I gather, to reap the health benefits of getting the body to start repairing, is to do the two days consecutively and eat just one meal at lunchtime on each of those two days.

I guess it depends on what you're aiming to achieve - weight loss, or the health benefits. For me, having lost the weight, I don't really need to lose any more, but I AM interested in the long term health benefits, so I'm going to try the two consecutive days of fasting, on work days so that I am kept occupied.
  • danfast84
    Options
    I'm planning on eating 500 calories. I've had a glass of milk for breakfast, a 240 calorie salmon and potato salad for lunch (thanks marks and spencers!) and dinner will be shredded crab salad and a cup of tea. Been drinking Green tea also.

Haven't tried milk yet, sounds good I guess...

Just wanted to mention...I think you might want to cut down on protein there since, if I understood correctly, that was the point of the fast, to reduce IGH-1 hormone production by reducing protein intake. Other potential benefits as demonstrated on mice with Alzheimers might be growing new brain cells - so I guess that's what not eating the rest of the stuff is for? Come to think of it, why exactly are we not eating carbs and other nice things if cutting protein was the main idea behind all the body-repair-mode and life longevity?

Anyway, if the protein theory is correct, you have quite a bit of protein on your menu: milk, salmon, potato and crab! The fish has a ton of protein, so I wonder if you're over your regular-eating-day limit there, let alone a fast day.

I did 2 days this week, so I got smart on my second day and veg-ed up. Them Bloodymary Tesco Finest soups come in pretty big tubs of 200 KCal - that's lunch. Feeling a little tired comes and goes like a wave, a bit like the appetite waves, but other times I find myself extra-energetic, almost buzzing, and I wonder whether at that point my body tapped into the fat reserves? Waddayanow.

Black coffee with no sugar is an acquired taste, but half a cup definitely works on weak body with an empty stomach, it's almost a purist thing.

One other trick is Berocca (5 Kcal), in effervescent form. That will keep you going during an afternoon slump.

Cod liver oil has 0 Kcal.

Too much green tea will keep you up all night. I had the worst nights of sleep these last couple of days.

Also, sudden high intake of fiber (all the veggies) had an effect on my digestion big style, BM etc.. if you know what I mean, so seriously, plenty of water or you will be constipated.

Sugar snap peas are sweet, tasty, surprisingly low calories and are awesome, grazing on raw cabbage isn't too bad either, baby corns, carrots, raddish and CUCUMBERS!

I have a few questions on this 5:2 diet, but maybe they'll get answered in a few weeks when we do the measuring =]