How can I shrink my legs?

Options

Replies

• sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    yea i have to keep reminding myself to be patient as well...i can wear junior tops in small/medium but size 12 in jeans

my waist is about 30.5, hips are 44.5 (sigh)

i've found that running helps a lot, when i was running a lot i was actually down to about 40"!!!!! (i don't know about anyone else but for me that is a big YAY hahahaha
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    you cant spot reduce. if your weight isnt coming off proportionally then odds are it was never on proportionally (ie you're a pear shape).

just keep doing what you're doing and your body will keep reducing its fat stores. the general rule of thumb is the first place you notice weight gain is the last place you notice weight loss.

just keep at it. also as someone with thick thighs i dont understand why you arent able to wear dresses? dresses and skirts are pretty much the main things i can wear that will fit me

I just stopped here.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    lift HEAVY
  • vivie72
    vivie72 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Weights will increase your muscle size, so they will give your legs a larger appearance, even after the fat finally burns off.

That is a misconception. She would have to be lifting huge weights and modifying her diet greatly to produce larger muscles. Women should be lifting. It increases your metabolism and tones your body.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    you cant spot reduce. if your weight isnt coming off proportionally then odds are it was never on proportionally (ie you're a pear shape).

just keep doing what you're doing and your body will keep reducing its fat stores. the general rule of thumb is the first place you notice weight gain is the last place you notice weight loss.

just keep at it. also as someone with thick thighs i dont understand why you arent able to wear dresses? dresses and skirts are pretty much the main things i can wear that will fit me

Good post. This is the correct answer. Please ignore the other posts about the mythical "toning" and such.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I am trying to be patient I promise but was getting disheartened that the legs are just the same as before, I need to try and concentrate on all the other positives though and hopefully my legs will start improving soon.

I am a pear shape you are right, even when I was smaller I had a 12 top and 14 bottom so it makes sense the fat clings to those areas I suppose. going to try and up my cardio and push myself a bit harder to jog more

Don't sprint, run as slow as you can, to build endurance. Measure your heart rate at rest when you wake up, it will go down as your endurance builds up.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Weights will increase your muscle size, so they will give your legs a larger appearance, even after the fat finally burns off.

false

Lifting weights doesn't increase the size of your muscles? Good luck finding any science to prove that. :wink:
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Just checking in to see what happens here. I am not sure either way. One would think that working muscles would cause them to get bigger, but what do I know? I am curious.
  • vivie72
    Options
    The myths about women's weight training and female bodybuilding do not ever seem to go away. With this article, I'd like to share the facts regarding weight training and female bodybuilding.

Women's Weight Training Myth #1 -Weight training makes you bulky and masculine.
    Due to the fact that women do not, and cannot, naturally produce as much testosterone (one of the main hormones responsible for increasing muscle size) as males do, it is impossible for a woman to gain huge amounts of muscle mass by merely touching some weights. Unfortunately, the image that may come to your mind is that of professional female bodybuilders. Most of these women, unfortunately, use anabolic steroids (synthetic testosterone) along with other drugs in order to achieve that high degree of muscularity. In addition, most also have good genetics coupled with an unbelievable work ethic that enable them to gain muscle quickly when they spend hours in the gym lifting very heavy weights. Believe me when I say that they do not look like that by accident. Women who conduct weight training without the use of steroids get the firm and fit cellulite-free looking body that you see in most fitness/figure shows these days.

http://bodybuilding.about.com/od/womensfitnesstopics/a/womenmyths.htm Here is one of many many articles that will debunk the myth.
  • vivie72
    Options
    Here is another one... http://www.livestrong.com/article/370071-do-women-get-big-when-lifting-weights/

I have been working with a trainer...weight are essential if you want a toned not just skinny body. It is important for women and their overall health.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    "Bulking up" is not the same as saying that it doesn't increase the size of your muscles. And the term is relative anyway. There are many women with legs that some might call sexy, but others might call "bulked-up."

The point is, when you are bottom heavy, it is better to "bulk-up" your top half to look better proportioned. I wouldn't go to a trainer that advised me to increase the weight on my leg training instead of increasing reps.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Weights are not essential for your legs if you are running because when you run, your body itself is the weight being lifted. :wink:
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

false

Lifting weights doesn't increase the size of your muscles? Good luck finding any science to prove that. :wink:

I assumed they were talking about being "bulky"
  • McBully4
    Options
    She lifts heavy does she look "bulky"? no she is smoking hot.

430631_376991302328116_964055447_n.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

false

I assumed they were talking about being "bulky"

No, I am talking about the OP, not in general. If you are someone who carries most of your fat on bottom, then light weights with lots of reps are better than heavy weights. Jumping jacks or jumping rope is even better for fat-burning.

The OP is already BIG in the legs, hence the question of how to shrink them. Losing the fat is the way to shrink them. Diet and cardio will burn the fat.
  • McBully4
    Options
    This is streaky's backside, maybe you should go do some squats.

404056_503510029676242_146031393_n.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    She lifts heavy does she look "bulky"? no she is smoking hot.

430631_376991302328116_964055447_n.jpg

The image isn't showing up on my computer, so I couldn't say.

"Bulky" is relative. I used to play soccer and had beautiful legs. I considered them my best feature. However, I did have young ladies (whom I assumed were jealous) tell me my legs were too big. Being someone with high self-esteem, I always dismissed their nonsense. :wink:
  • McBully4
    Options
    Diet and cardio will burn the fat.

I think we are arguing to the same answer from different directions. I've seen that pure cardio burns both muscle and fat leaving you "skinny fat". But when lifting heavy your muscles get stronger and this attacks the body fat. This is why when lifting heavy the scale may not move as fast but you are dropping inches.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Diet and cardio will burn the fat.

I think we are arguing to the same answer from different directions. I've seen that pure cardio burns both muscle and fat leaving you "skinny fat". But when lifting heavy your muscles get stronger and this attacks the body fat. This is why when lifting heavy the scale may not move as fast but you are dropping inches.

I think that must depend on the person. I haven't seen that happen to anyone who does regular cardio. But then, it could depend on the cardio too. Not all cardio is the same.

But yes, muscle is more dense than fat, which was my original point.

I stand firmly behind jumping rope. :happy: