2»

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Well like I said smith machines work great for fitness. Don't get me wrong though. I have many friends in power lifting that do assistance work on a smith. Maybe I'm being to complicated. Smith machines will give u strenth hands down. They will be much better than the couch and a bag of potato chips. Good job on your weight loss so far. Keep it up!!!

Thanks :) I did upper body today so did the relevant cable and resistance machines but changed my reps a bit and up'd the weight - also added a few dumbbell routines :) Will get to know the cable machines one day.. I'm finding the quiet times at the gym more now too which is helpful - just me in the weights and dumbbell section. :) happy days.
  • porffor
    Options

that's great thanks! :) Will really help the squat action and stretch the right places. :)
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    A gym without a couple power racks or at least half racks, barbells, and dumbbells is not a gym.

Does the bar on a Smith Machine even weight 45lbs? I had read somewhere that it was only a 15lb bar, but perhaps that depends on the brand of Smith Machine.

Smith Bars are 20lbs starting weight.

Also i would choose Dumbbell deadlifts over using that machine as well.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Smith machines belong in the bin, except maybe you could use it for assisted pistols?

I'm very confused how a Smith machine can be used in a place with no free weights. Do you put bands on the ends of the bars? Do they employ children of varying sizes to hang off of the bar?
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    The biggest recommendation I see for Smith machine squating is Bulgarian Split Squats
  • porffor
    Options
    Smith machines belong in the bin, except maybe you could use it for assisted pistols?

I'm very confused how a Smith machine can be used in a place with no free weights. Do you put bands on the ends of the bars? Do they employ children of varying sizes to hang off of the bar?

You are right! There ARE free weights now you put it like that.. my mission will be to nag them for a barbell!! I know they use them upstairs for muscleworks classes but low weights / high reps.. There is only 100kg on the smiths machine rack but If I could use that that would last me a long time I'm sure! :)

Good thinking batman!
  • porffor
    Options
    The biggest recommendation I see for Smith machine squating is Bulgarian Split Squats

that was recommended earlier too. :) Thanks!

Going to give that a try!