Do you eat before a AM workout?

Options
Just wondering if everyone eats before a morning workout? I pretty much roll out of bed, don't eat anything and just get to working out. Is that bad? Suggestions???

Replies

• LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I am just learning about Fasting Training. According to recent studies, it is actually better! Google it. I am embracing this. Like you, I don't like to eat before my workout.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I only take protein to prevent muscle breakdown
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    nope
  • charlieandrew1980
    Options
    I don't have time to eat and then let it go down before I run in the morning so, like you said, I roll out of bed, go for my run and then come back and have breakfast. I also discovered when I tried to go for a run after work, that my body far prefers me to run first thing than in the evening!
  • redmapleleaf
    redmapleleaf Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When I wake up early to hit the gym before my boys wake up then I don't eat but when I wake up at 7 and I don't go to the gym until 9 then I eat a regular breakfast.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I am just learning about Fasting Training. According to recent studies, it is actually better! Google it. I am embracing this. Like you, I don't like to eat before my workout.
    It's actually not better to train fasted. Longstanding myth.
  • MsDivineM
    Options
    I usually try to take my vitiams with a glass of milk! When i come home, I hate eating, its about an hour or two before I'm ready!
  • kristin1493
    kristin1493 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Nope, sometimes I get in about half a cup of coffee, but otherwise I workout on an empty stomach. I already have to get up at 5am to get a workout in, I'd have to get up even earlier if I wanted to eat breakfast. I will not give up those precious extra minutes of sleep!
  • desilou52879
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! I feel the same as most of you...if I was to eat before working out, I would have to wake up alot earlier...and that just isn't happening! lol! Hope you all have a good day! :wink:
  • TangledUp_InBlue
    TangledUp_InBlue Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Nope. I drag my *kitten* out of bed and march downstairs, pop on my iPod and hop on my elliptical. I don’t eat until I get to work a couple hours later.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    A cup of coffee and a banana.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    No. I get up at 430 and throw on some clothes and work out for an hour. Then I come home and shower and eat breakfast. I don't know if it's the best way to do it, but it works for me!
  • kt2134
    kt2134 Posts: 45
    Options
    It depends what time I get up to workout. If I'm up at 7am, I'd just have a glass of water, to hydrate my body and then exercise. But if I get up lets say 10am, I'll have breakfast wait about an hour and then exercise.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if everyone eats before a morning workout? I pretty much roll out of bed, don't eat anything and just get to working out. Is that bad? Suggestions???

Not bad or good. Is just the way you roll. Some tend to find that we can go longer if we have a little something beforehand. I like to have some applesauce to give me a small boost, then work out.
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    No, I've been waking up, downing a glass of water and getting right on the stationary bike first thing in the am. I'm early in, though, and just worried that if I try to do anything else before that, I'll make some excuse NOT to do it that day.
  • desilou52879
    Options
    No, I've been waking up, downing a glass of water and getting right on the stationary bike first thing in the am. I'm early in, though, and just worried that if I try to do anything else before that, I'll make some excuse NOT to do it that day.

I'm the same way...lol! If I venture into getting breakfast ready...I am sure I will start doing laundry or something else and then have no time for working out. So rolling out of bed and jumping on the treadmill works for me! :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I always have something. I use the GNC Lean Chews just to get something in my stomach. You need to eat to jump-start your metabolism. I wouldn't recommend a full on meal, but something.
  • goodisnotgoodenough
    Options
    Yes something small- usually a cup of tea and a hard boiled egg or some fruit. Then afterwards I have my "real" breakfast.
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    It's actually not better to train fasted. Longstanding myth.

This 11/'10 article about Fasted Training is what I believe many of the current studies reference.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It depends on what my workout for the day is, if I am doing weight lifting then I eat before hitting the gym. If I am only doing cardio than I wait until after my workout to eat.